Flooding Weather / Scenery Photos & Discussion

Saint John, New Brunswick  Shopping, Classifieds, Jobs, Real Estate & Rentals, Discussion, Deals, Flyers, + more!

Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online!
Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online! See all recent posts Post a new ad / message Enhanced Features  Helpdesk
Business Advertising Sign-Up (Free!) Search
iSaintJohn Home Forums Home Contact Us Site Rules Terms of Use Privacy Statement

Special iSJ Features: 
Shopping Mall
Links to dozens of sites
Online Flyers
Links to flyers for Sobeys, Superstore, Sears, drugstores, & many more retailers.
iSJ Paid Advertising
It's easy, effective, & affordable. Reach thousands of people for as little as $4.99 per week!

21st Century Resumes - Your dream job is our goal! Resume writing services + iSJ Special: FREE Cover letter! Click for details & web site

Search the web:

Go Back   Saint John Classifieds & Forums > General & Local Discussion > Weather / Scenery Photos & Discussion

Old 09-07-2008

Default Topic: Flooding

Flooding

It's best to pretty much avoid the east side by the malls today. Most of the roads are shut down and under about 3 to 4 feet of water. The mall itself is quite flooded.
Old 09-07-2008

Also University Ave by the Blood Bank is flooded, the city was working on the drain and it seems to have backed up.
Old 09-07-2008
Member (< 100 posts)

It is also best to avoid my basement also
Old 09-07-2008

Eeek that's no good!

FYI people DO NOT DRIVE THROUGH THESE 'PUDDLES' you will cause serious damage to your car. Google Hydrolock. Then you'll see!

Foster Thruston is pretty much done for.
Old 09-07-2008

Ya I have about 7 inches in my basement.
Old 09-07-2008

I hope you guys have flood insurance
Old 09-07-2008
Long-Time Member (500+ posts)

My basement got it too!! Freakin Rain!!!
Old 09-07-2008
Member (100 to 500 posts)

Glen Rd where we are has been closed off. I heard Golden Grove Rd and Rothesay Ave were closed as well. Our house right now is sitting in its own personal lake. I don't even want to think about my shed where all my Christmas stuff is stored. Sob sob.
Old 09-07-2008

This is a pic of my street in the trailer park off of Rothesay Ave.
I walked through it and it was well above my knees.
This isn't even the worst part

Old 09-07-2008

I just moved out of the park 2-3 weeks ago.... You couldn't even get out of the park with a car when it flooded... it's retarded.
Old 09-07-2008
Member (< 100 posts)

Just got home from helping my parents remove about 6 inches of water from their basement. They live on Montreal Ave on the west side and the entire street has flooded basements. The water was coming up trhough the drains in everyones basements. It is a mess, thank god they have insurance. Hopefully everyone else does to.

As an added note Saint John now has a new lake situated where the firemans baseball field used to be.
Old 09-07-2008

Well I saw about 10 cars today stuck in water. More like dead in water.

Some people think just because they drive a $60k car it will make it through 4' of water?
Old 09-08-2008

I hope I didn't screw my car too badly going through those oceans yesterday! I had no choice though. I had to get into the trailer park. Would the car die right then (going through the water, or would it take a day or 2?)
Old 09-08-2008
Member (< 100 posts)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizunderstood View Post
I hope I didn't screw my car too badly going through those oceans yesterday! I had no choice though. I had to get into the trailer park. Would the car die right then (going through the water, or would it take a day or 2?)
If it's going to get hydrolocked it will happen while driving throught the puddle (or moments there after). You're pretty much drowing your car (taking in water through the intake instead of air). If you're car is still running today you should be fine
Old 09-08-2008

Thank you jenny lynn
Old 09-09-2008

Hydrolock = dead car.

Liquids cannot be compressed very well. When your car takes in a lot of liquid, water, it tries to compress it like it always does with air/fuel. Well when it tries and fails the connecting rods end up being the weak point and get some bent.

That is very bent. I stopped by a local garage yesterday to pick up some parts and they already had 3 cars that died in the water. Listen people, you drive a car, it's not a boat, tank or an off road vehicle. It's a car. Do NOT drive in water. At all!
Old 09-09-2008

hi

i lost everything i own in the flood. can't even live there anymore it got all roped off, at least the baby wasn't there when it was happening. now i'm living at my parents house looking for a new place to live. i don't even have insurance. any ideas on what i can do?
Old 09-09-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaj27 View Post
Hydrolock = dead car.

Liquids cannot be compressed very well. When your car takes in a lot of liquid, water, it tries to compress it like it always does with air/fuel. Well when it tries and fails the connecting rods end up being the weak point and get some bent.

That is very bent. I stopped by a local garage yesterday to pick up some parts and they already had 3 cars that died in the water. Listen people, you drive a car, it's not a boat, tank or an off road vehicle. It's a car. Do NOT drive in water. At all!
I think they should be giving tickets for people that drive past/through the barricades, they put them up for no reason. And you can't look anymore stupid than your car sitting in the middle of a small lake busted because you thought it might make it through. Insurance doesn't cover stupidity people.
Old 09-09-2008

I just thought of something I heard the police say on the scanner the day of the flood, since you just reminded me Damage82 and I quote...." If people want to drive through the flooded area and go around a police car with lights flashing....what the heck are the barricades going to stop.."......LOL
Old 09-09-2008

sometimes there is no other option but to go through the water.