When does it change your lifestyle? Carpooling & Gas Prices

i SJ: Saint John, New Brunswick  Shopping, Classifieds, Jobs, Real Estate & Rentals, Discussion, Deals, Flyers, + more!

Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online!
Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online! See all recent posts Post a new ad / message Enhanced Features  Helpdesk
Business Advertising Sign-Up (Free!) Search
iSaintJohn Home Forums Home Contact Us Site Rules Terms of Use Privacy Statement

Visit the upgraded front page of iSJ for more info!

Free Saint John Visitor's Guide

Search the web:

Go Back   Saint John Classifieds & Forums > Automotive & Boat Classifieds > Carpooling & Gas Prices

Old 06-02-2008

Default Topic: When does it change your lifestyle?

When does it change your lifestyle?

With the rise of fuel prices of any sorts some people are being forced to make changes in how they live and work. How do these prices affect you? If they don't yet when do you think they will? $2.00, $3.00? When does the price of fuel start to dip into your grocery fund or any other fund? I saw on the news that some American's were changing their eating habits, due to the cost of fuel and the new cost of food. If this price trend keeps up during the colder months people are going to have to decided between heat or food.

Thoughts?
Old 06-02-2008

I know it has motivated me to consider biking to work on nice days. It hasn't really hit me too much, I would assume someone on a strict budget would notice the difference more. I use it as an excuse when people want me to go drive them around that it's too expensive LOL
Old 06-03-2008
Long-Time Member (500+ posts)

ive noticed it definetly changes my lifestyle, as the stay at home parent right now my wife isnt exactly eligble for a high paying job so any increase in price is a definite impact, plus with an almost 2 year old daughter it kinda boils dow to, does she walk home from work tonite or does my daughter get her milk.
Old 06-03-2008
**Bronze-Level** Paid Account

Personally I hate spending more money, just like anyone else. Over the last month it now costs me nearly $40 more to fill my tank a week. However, when I compare the price of gas to other things that I purchase, I realize that it could be worse, which I am sure it will. I think it is time to start looking into alternate sources of fuel.
Old 06-05-2008

Filled up today!!

Hi, I'm sick just sick to my stomach....I filled my 99 Sunfire convertible today...ha well thought i had....I put 50 bucks in and when i started the car it was only 3/4 full.....OH MY GOD were does it end lol.....ENOUGH WITH THE GAS PRICE INCREASES...........
Old 06-05-2008

You can expect gas to hit $1.50 a liter by summer.
Old 06-05-2008

Location: RIP alex march 1969-august 2007, always missing you little brother-RIP china.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RancidCrow View Post
You can expect gas to hit $1.50 a liter by summer.
ive been hearing the same thing.
Old 06-05-2008

I'm already paying $1.55/L....wait what is the price change today?

But anyway, It doesn't bother me slightly. We worked fuel, insurance and maintenance into any budget that we have for a vehicle. With over 950KM a tank I fill up about every 2-3 weeks.
Old 06-05-2008

Price change to day wasn't much. Seems like gas stayed the same, Diesel went down 5 cents.

But I am hearing more and more of these types of stories. Where people choose food over fuel, or fuel over food.
Old 06-06-2008

I don't go anywhere now a days like I used to even 3 months ago. I used to take the kids for a drive to let them have a nap. Not now!!!
Old 06-07-2008
Member (< 100 posts)

Definetly affecting my life, I used to love going for weekend drives, now I rarely do because it just costs to much. Also, my parents are contemplating buyig a hybrid for in their in town driving... a big change from their plans two months ago of buying an SUV.

On another note, down the States they are wanring if a hurricane damages any of the refineries this year that they should expect to pay $6 or more per gallon which would likely mean $2 or more per liter for us
Old 06-09-2008
Member (100 to 500 posts)

Send a message via MSN to squirrles_88

i think it is going to come down to it that one day someone will just
rebel and fill there tank up and not pay and many others will follow
i just don't understand why gas has to go up what ever happens in other country should not conseren us
Old 06-11-2008
Member (100 to 500 posts)

I think it's the best thing since sliced bread. Tailgating SUV's are staying home more, and the simpletons riding alone in huge pickups are driving the speed limit for once. I'm willing to spend another 10 or 20 bucks every couple of weeks for that. The best part is, the poor Irvings that can't afford to pay taxes get to quadruple their income when their costs have only gone up slightly. I'm surprised it doesn't seem to be hurting truckers at all - they are still ripping along and idling many unnecessary HOURS like always.
Old 06-11-2008

I'm not too sure about the SUV's and Trucks....

I just got back from weekend camping and I always do 100 on the highway. Cruise control locked in. People pass me doing well over 130+. From what I can tell either people aren't aware that speeding costs more than just a ticket. Cars are designed to travel at 60mph anything over that hurts fuel mileage. It's quite the science really. So if you want to save money, slow down.

Truckers get a volume discount, sure it's about 300 gallons to fill up but at the same time most don't pay from their pockets. The cost goes back to the trucking company than in turn gets dumped onto us. Notice the cost of food? Housewares?

Most things have gone up.