Here's a Question Food & Dining

i SJ: Saint John, New Brunswick  Shopping, Classifieds, Jobs, Real Estate & Rentals, Discussion, Deals, Flyers, + more!

Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online!
Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online! See all recent posts Post a new ad / message Enhanced Features  Helpdesk
Business Advertising Sign-Up (Free!) Search
iSaintJohn Home Forums Home Contact Us Site Rules Terms of Use Privacy Statement

Visit the upgraded front page of iSJ for more info!

Free Saint John Visitor's Guide

Search the web:

Go Back   Saint John Classifieds & Forums > Other Discussion > Food & Dining

Old 11-14-2010
Member (100 to 500 posts)

Default Topic: Here's a Question

Here's a Question

Do you think restaurants should ban babies/children from their establishments?
Old 11-14-2010
Long-Time Member (500+ posts)

no, and any restaurant attempting to do that is discriminating, not too mention insensitive
Old 11-14-2010

Absolutely depending on the kind of restaurant. The last thing I want to listen to while trying to enjoy a nice meal with my wife is a crying kid. Jungle Jims or ESM... bring the whole family. Lemon Grass or Thandi's get a baby sitter.
Old 11-14-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tremc View Post
Absolutely depending on the kind of restaurant. The last thing I want to listen to while trying to enjoy a nice meal with my wife is a crying kid. Jungle Jims or ESM... bring the whole family. Lemon Grass or Thandi's get a baby sitter.

Agreed.
Old 11-14-2010

sorry but that is an absolute crock of im supposed to fork out an extra anywheres from 10-50( depending on night, length of time whatever) for one night out because you dont want to listen to my kid?

Last edited by puppyluv; 11-17-2010 at 02:11 PM.. Reason: language
Old 11-14-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpage466 View Post
sorry but that is an absolute crock , im supposed to fork out an extra anywheres from 10-50( depending on night, length of time whatever) for one night out because you dont want to listen to my kid?
Yes.

Last edited by puppyluv; 11-17-2010 at 05:36 PM..
Old 11-14-2010

well may as well ban the guy at the next table on his cell phone, and switch to plastic plates an utensils cause those silly metal and glass make too many clinking noises, and its mandatory to use sign language only when ordering because talking is too loud, get realistic its an absurd question
Old 11-14-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpage466 View Post
well may as well ban the guy at the next table on his cell phone, and switch to plastic plates an utensils cause those silly metal and glass make too many clinking noises, and its mandatory to use sign language only when ordering because talking is too loud, get realistic its an absurd question
When you go to a classier restaurant it's to connect with lovers / friends on some level. I think it's rude to put your convenience before the ambiance for the rest of the patrons.

Last edited by donteatrawpotatoes; 11-14-2010 at 03:50 PM..
Old 11-14-2010

so basically based on your logic, if im looking to celebrate some event in my life with my immediate family, because im already married with kids i should be going to what, mcdonalds? or wendys for a little more class? just because someone has kids doesnt make them, or by extension there kids 3rd class citizens, and if you raised your kids properly they know not to make alot of noise out anyways.
Old 11-14-2010

Little bit dramatic aren't we.

Swiss Chalet, East Side Marios, Boston pizza, Jungle Jim's, Pizza Delight. All of these are great FAMILY restaurants.

It doesn't make you 3rd class citizens to do what other more respectful people do every day. It wasn't my decision for people to have their kids, so when I'm out having an intimate night with loved ones, I don't want to hear kids screaming or see a baby puke at a table.
Old 11-14-2010

Totally agree with ya donteat!
Old 11-14-2010

Anybody who can't take the noise of other people in Restaurants whether it be children or adults should stay home and cook for themselves in the peace and quiet of their own home. What a stupid question to ask!!!!!!! They must be just kidding??
Old 11-14-2010

Your sense of entitlement should not effect where I am allowed to eat, especially when the people these establishments are marketed for are people like me. People who want a quiet night out and a slower pace of things.
My husband and I very rarely go out without our kids, but when we do; you better believe that I want you to keep yours quiet.
Old 11-15-2010

Here's a thought, if there are no highchairs supplied and if there is no children's menu then don't take your children to that establishment. You see, that would mean it's not a child friendly restaurant.
Old 11-15-2010
**Bronze-Level** Paid Account

I completely agree with this. I have 4 kids myself, and I certainly don't consider my children 3rd class citizens, however, certain types of establishment people shouldn't bring children. If I want to take the family out then I go to a "family restaurant". If my wife and I want to have a quiet, intimate dinner, we do not expect to get this at a "family restaurant".
Old 11-15-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhiley_08j View Post
If I want to take the family out then I go to a "family restaurant". If my wife and I want to have a quiet, intimate dinner, we do not expect to get this at a "family restaurant".

Exactly! It's kind of selfish to take your kids where you want to go rather than a place they'd have more fun.

I may be raising my kids wrong, but I don't consider raising then 'right' to mean they should be quiet.

When we go out with our babies we go out to laugh loudly and enjoy our time, we do this in a place where other people are doing the same thing.
Old 11-15-2010
Member (< 100 posts)

I'm all for bringing your kids wherever you want....But, if my husband wants to take me to lemongrass, you better believe I'm not taking my kids along! A place like that, for me, is Mommy and Daddy time..I'd rather my kids to places with more "friendly" kid menus, tbh.
Old 11-15-2010

If I'm going to a nice restaurant, by my personal choice I don't bring my kids. However if there are people there with theirs and they're well behaved, it will not bother me in the least. If the family and I are out we're going to go to a more family friendly establishment and if there are people there who do not like the fact that my kids are having a good time (not misbehaving, screaming, etc) then leave and go else ware. There's a reason why these places are family friendly. However if my kids are acting up and causing a disturbance, I will remove them from the situation.
Old 11-15-2010
**Silver-Level** Paid Account

I agree, as a childless by choice person, when I am in the mood for fine dining I don't want running children or crying babies. In certain "moods" I don't go to East Sides or BP because of the chance that they will break out in that horrendous birthday singing and clapping.
Old 11-16-2010

LMAO Trinity. The stupid , dreaded birthday song.... complete with the clapping and foot stomping! They also do it at Montana's as hubby and I recently witnessed. As the song was being shouted.. clapped and stomped by the staff the very drunk birthday boy (in his 50's) was shouting at them to shut the "f" up! Now that was a fun experience.... NOT!