Who can I ask for help? General: Info & Help

i SJ: Saint John, New Brunswick  Shopping, Classifieds, Jobs, Real Estate & Rentals, Discussion, Deals, Flyers, + more!

Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online!
Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online! See all recent posts Post a new ad / message Enhanced Features  Helpdesk
Business Advertising Sign-Up (Free!) Search
iSaintJohn Home Forums Home Contact Us Site Rules Terms of Use Privacy Statement

Visit the upgraded front page of iSJ for more info!

Free Saint John Visitor's Guide

Search the web:

Go Back   Saint John Classifieds & Forums > General & Local Discussion > General: Info & Help

Old 12-13-2008

Question Topic: Who can I ask for help?

Who can I ask for help?

This is hard for me to say. I never had to do this before. I find myself looking for help. I am pregnant and recently fired for being sick. No one will hire me and it's getting close to christmas. Who can I ask for help to help pay for meds, food, and gifts for my 15 month old son? I never had to ask for help like this before And I am embarrassed to even have to now. I am very worried and my health is starting to fail due to the stress. I can not handle much more and starting to relize that asking for help is ok, I just don't know how. Please advise....thank you
Old 12-13-2008

Default Topic: Who can I ask for help?

Did you get fired due to illness related to the pregnancy?? How long had you worked for the company?
Old 12-13-2008

I was called into work early and when i got there i was asked to go to the office. I was told it wasn't working out, that i was a good worker but they didn't want to deal with me having morning sickness. I took the news as well as i could, shook his hand and asked if i could ever come back hoping to not burn any bridges. He said "Not if your pregnant". I was in shock that he would say that to me! I held it together enough to get to my van and cried. It's been two months of job hunting and as soon as they find out that I'm pregnant, no go. I had worked for this other company since 2002. Only for 2 months at this location. As i had just gotten back into the work force after having my son.
Old 12-13-2008

Well you are entitled to get your job back. No company is allowed to fire you over a pregnancy. Here's a link to the Provincial regulations.

http://www.gnb.ca/0308/FactSheets/07.pdf
Old 12-13-2008

First paragraph says it all!!
Old 12-13-2008

I don't know if i can handle going back there, Because i know that they would be looking for some other reason to fire me. The day before i was fired I was sent home because I had to go to the bathroom. No one asked if I was feeling ok they just said your going home. i told i was ok that i wanted to stay. They said i was going home because they didn't want to put up with me being sick. I felt fine. Another day i asked for someone to take my place so I could go to the bathroom. I had to wait for 1 1/2 hours, and they were laughing that i was "dancing" i swear i was this close to wetting myself.
Old 12-13-2008

That is total discrimination toward you. If I were you, I would fight for what you are legally entitled to no matter what.

As it stands, even though companies cannot discriminate hiring you because you are pregnant, they can simply say that you "weren't suited for the job" and let it go at that.

A job however that you have been doing since 2002 (I'm assuming you worked there through your first pregnancy and returned after Maternity leave), has no right to treat you the way they did.

In that link, even if you can no longer perform your duties, the employer is supposed to find you alternate duties that you can perform. If there is no such thing; then, and only then can they ask you to take a "leave of absence". In which case I don't think that your Maternity leave benefits should be affected, but outright firing you.....you might not be eligible for maternity Leave benefits.

I would contact the labour board first thing on Monday morning, if you do not get anywhere with that, then I would contact a lawyer and every news media possible.
Old 12-13-2008

Just to prove a point, I think I would've gone ahead and pee'd my pants right there on the spot!!!
Old 12-13-2008

trust me if i had to wait two more seconds, i think i would have. The only thing that save me there was someone came on 1/2 hour early and took my place. Still 1 1/2 hours for a pregnant woman to wait to pee is just wrong.
Old 12-14-2008
Long-Time Member (500+ posts)

Sue - Your employer that fired you can not do it - the people that you interviewed with can not do it.
Old 12-14-2008

MrsBeasley has provided some great information. Please don't let this slide, fight it, and if needed get your job back till at least you go on mat leave.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 12-14-2008

Dawn-Marie, one of the issues is it is heresay..BUT that being said, I would certainly be calling the labour board....and going to the paper etc.
Being discriminated because you are going to have a baby is not only terribly wrong, but it is saddening. In this day & age you would think comoanies would be smarter than that to say such things, and do such things.

I for one won;t support such businesses...because that is bad business..and to reward them for the ignoring human rights is wrong.

2 suggestions...Labour Board/Un-employment *talk to them, see if they can help re-train you for another type of career*
Newspaper/media. One or the other of these suggestions should get you somewhere.

Blessings & peace girl...*hug*
Old 12-14-2008
Member (100 to 500 posts)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn-Marie View Post
I was called into work early and when i got there i was asked to go to the office. I was told it wasn't working out, that i was a good worker but they didn't want to deal with me having morning sickness. I took the news as well as i could, shook his hand and asked if i could ever come back hoping to not burn any bridges. He said "Not if your pregnant".
I smell BS. No employer would ever say that in this day and age, they know they would be sued/fined big time and suffer thousands of dollars in legal fees on top of that.

If it is true then get your self a lawyer, you could own that business by the end of the year.
Old 12-14-2008

V6nside .... probally not the employer him/herself ... but if it is a manager /supervisor for that employer it amounts to the same thing
Old 12-14-2008
**Silver-Level** Paid Account

Ok, other than the person who watches the temperature controls at Pt Lepreau, the person working the controls for a giant crane carrying a thousand pound load, or the doctor who has their hands INSIDE your stomach cavity holding the clamp on the artery, I can't imagine ANY job that would make it absolutely imperative that you not miss a minute to go to the bathroom. And those people are highly paid for their "presence". I have worked in two call centers and while they would prefer you don't take 25 potty breaks a day as it screws up your stats and theirs, they wouldn't stop anyone if they had a permanent or temporary medical condition. Anything else is sweatshop conditions.
Old 12-14-2008

:(

Just remember there are two sides to every coin. I don't know the whole story, so I am not going to comment!
Old 12-14-2008

Please, she's looking for help, not advice. (although advice is nice... her family really needs help.) I wish I could offer you help, but I know of no one, and currently have no extra money. (extra is a laugh. I have no money right now at all.)
I REALLY hope things start looking up for you! You were dealt a terrible hand, and if everything happened the way you said it did... ( I've been there with my first baby....) then they aren't legally able to fire you. Like I said though, I will definitely keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

Just a side thought, Have you thought of asking a church? Any church. I found myself in a really similar situation a few years ago, and I really needed help and they helped me even though I didn't attend their church. ( I called a church in the south end, but this was 3-4 years ago, I don't know what would happen now but I'm sure they will do SOMETHING. they're cool like that [by they I mean most churches])
Old 12-15-2008

Have you contacted Income Assistance?
Old 12-15-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystalbeach View Post
Have you contacted Income Assistance?

Thats a good idea, because they can get you started and get you funding in no time at all. Plus you will have benefits for you and your children. Its probably not your most favorable option, however it will get you through until you find another job
Old 12-15-2008

Also try EI. Go to your doctor, tell him/her what happened and see if he will write you a sick note. Youmay be able to obtain sick benefits before maternity benefits. EI is really good in certain circumstances. If you go and explain whats going on, they may be able to help you. Its worth a try! I am very sorry to hear about your situation, and i REALLY hope things work out for you very soon!