Rent receipts for maternity leave? General: Info & Help

i SJ: Saint John, New Brunswick  Shopping, Classifieds, Jobs, Real Estate & Rentals, Discussion, Deals, Flyers, + more!

Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online!
Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online! See all recent posts Post a new ad / message Enhanced Features  Helpdesk
Business Advertising Sign-Up (Free!) Search
iSaintJohn Home Forums Home Contact Us Site Rules Terms of Use Privacy Statement

Visit the upgraded front page of iSJ for more info!

Free Saint John Visitor's Guide

Search the web:

Go Back   Saint John Classifieds & Forums > General & Local Discussion > General: Info & Help

Old 11-28-2009
Long-Time Member (500+ posts)

Default Topic: Rent receipts for maternity leave?

Rent receipts for maternity leave?

Ok, so now I am 25 1/2 weeks pregnant. We just moved into a new apartment the beginning of this month, and unfortunately for us, we know them.
I have been told by friends who have recently had children that in order for them to get full maternity benefits they had to prove they pay rent to the government (either receipts for rent or a signed letter from your landlord) So, here is where I am possibly getting screwed. We gave our landlord our 625$ rent for December, and 400$ towards our damage deposit last night. While we were talking with them, asked when we were going to get our receipts. They told us that they cant give us receipts because then they have to claim this part of the house as an apartment that is being rented and then their land and water tax goes up, and it wont be worth renting because they will be paying out more than they are getting (even if those taxes doubled, it wouldnt exceed over 10000$ a year, and they get over that from rent).

So, basically, long story short, do you need these receipts to get maternity benefits?
Old 11-28-2009

I didn't
Old 11-28-2009
Member (100 to 500 posts)

LL, your damage deposit should have been paid to the rentalsman's office, NOT to the landlord.
Old 11-28-2009

yeah, I know. We thought he was going to submit it to the rentalsman...and because we are paying half this month and half next month we knew it wouldnt be right away. And as I mentioned, my hubby knows the woman really well, so I mean i dont know how to handle the situation without it going bad....
Old 11-28-2009

And I am scared that if we tell them now we are moving because we need them, that they will keep the 400$ DD we have paid so far saying it is to cover what they put into the place so we could move in.

(mind you, we had no kitchen sink or counter until the 20th of this month, and he just told us we have to keep all moisture off the counter for at least 7 days so the grout will properly dry because he tiled it) so im just getting fed up and the receipt thing was really the last straw after EVERYTHING else that has been going on, too much to type....

I just need to know if I am going to be double screwed for benefits when baby comes without them...because i have had people say they needed them
Old 11-28-2009

...I just asked another friend who just had her baby last week...she said she needed them....
Old 11-28-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizard_lover View Post
yeah, I know. We thought he was going to submit it to the rentalsman...and because we are paying half this month and half next month we knew it wouldnt be right away. And as I mentioned, my hubby knows the woman really well, so I mean i dont know how to handle the situation without it going bad....
he didnt pay it to the rentalsman, because he is renting an illegal apartment.
Old 11-28-2009

It is a really nice apartment, but your right its not a registered apartment. Which is why he doesn't want to give us receipts because then he would have to register it...and he thinks (because by doing this they do raise your land and water tax) that he would end up paying out more in extra taxes than he would have coming in in rent. But he isn't realising that I won't be getting maternity benefits without it, and my hubby won't be able to get living expenses added onto his student loan for when he goes to do his masters next year. So because baby will be about 6 months old when he starts his masters....that leaves us with basically no income.

So, I think we will just have to move again. because I know if we argue this with them, they will just be pissy because they think they are doing us a favor by letting us rent. I am just scared they are going to keep the 400$ we have given them so far towards the damage deposit and say it is for the work he put into this place so we could move in (which is nowhere near 400$, but you never know what some people will do)

So, yet again, pregnant and stuck between a rock and a hard place....anybody know any decently priced 2 bedroom apartments for rent for January 1st?
Old 11-28-2009

Are you talking about the EI benefits for maternity/parental leave? If so, no you don't need proof of rent, mortgage, ect.
Old 11-29-2009

Basically, you are renting an illegal apartment (meaning the landlord is not claiming the income from rent as income toward their income tax. If they were providing receipts then yes, their land taxes would in fact double and they would have to pay income tax on the rental income.

If you are applying to Maternity Benefits through Employment Insurance, you will not be required to provide proof of rent or mortgage etc as previously mentioned. All EI is interested in is your annual income and if you had erned anyu income while on mat leave EI each week.
Old 11-29-2009

Really? Because that is what I will be doing is going on just normal msternity leave. Its just weird because I have had people tell me that they needed them :S I hope I don't. I think we are still going to look for another place though because hubby does need them for school loan next year, and I just don't like the idea of not having them, god forbid anything go wrong.
Old 11-29-2009

My youngest is 2, and when I was on Mat leave I didn't have to show rent receipts.
http://www.workrights.ca/content.php?doc=87
Old 11-29-2009

I have 2 aged 3 an 10 months an we didnt need reciepts for either of them, and if the rentalsmen find out the apt is being rented illegally they can find the offending party up to $100,000 per infraction or even jail time, so i dont think $400 should be a problem
Old 11-29-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizard_lover View Post
...I just asked another friend who just had her baby last week...she said she needed them....
Are these people confusing EI Maternity Leave with Social Assistance, because no where on the application does it even ask for receipts other than your ROE???

I just finished my portion of Mat Leave and Hubby just applied for 13 weeks Parental leave and neither one of us had to show any form of receipts for Rent or Mortgage. All you need is your ROE. Your 55% calculated amount of benefits is based upon your income, not on what your living expenses are.
Old 11-29-2009

nope you dont need proof of residency for EI mat leave. You could be living at home for free, it does not matter. Mat leave (EI) is based only on your income/hours. Has nothing to do with your rent.
Old 11-30-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsBeasley View Post
If they were providing receipts then yes, their land taxes would in fact double and they would have to pay income tax on the rental income.
That depends. If the land lord is living in the building then no it does not increase your property taxes. If he's not then yes it does. I owned a building and lived in it. My taxes did not double until I bought another house and moved out. When I moved I already had a deal with one of the tenants to sell him the house. So I got most of the extra I paid for that year back.

And as far as him/her keeping your damage deposit, With out a receipt for that you could be in trouble. No proof you even paid him. But if you had a receipt, they can not keep it. because the law states that in order to collect it, it must be paid by check or money order made payable to the receiver general of NB. Collecting it with out this is considered fraud. And the government looks very poorly on people who do this.

Landlords can lose there homes, or have to pay fines up to $100,000 for defrauding the government. If it were me and you had to move. If they refuse to give you your deposit back, Tell them you will go to:

1] The rentals man and tell them you payed them a dammage deposit and want to make a claim to get it back.

2] The income tax department and tell them that they are collecting rent and not claiming it.

3] The city and let them know that these people are renting out apartments and not declaring it. Thus ripping off the city of any money they are due.

As a building owner, I would not take a chance!
Old 11-30-2009

I am just going back to work today from maternity leave and I never ever had to bring in receipts for rent.
Old 11-30-2009
Member (< 100 posts)

We had a basement apartment for about 5 years, and I reported the income on my taxes every year but did not have it registered with the town to avoid the double property tax. One has nothing to do with the other so as long as they report the income on their Income Taxes they can give you receipts without paying the inflated property tax.

By the time I wrote off a percentage of my mortgage interest, property taxes, power, etc. I never ended up claiming very much and even had a deduction a couple of times.

Last edited by Barrett; 11-30-2009 at 11:43 AM..
Old 11-30-2009

The one thing that does double is your water bill.
Old 11-30-2009
Member (< 100 posts)

only if the city or municipality is aware you are renting.