i need advice, pregnant & jobhunting Jobs & Education

i SJ: Saint John, New Brunswick  Shopping, Classifieds, Jobs, Real Estate & Rentals, Discussion, Deals, Flyers, + more!

Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online!
Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online! See all recent posts Post a new ad / message Enhanced Features  Helpdesk
Business Advertising Sign-Up (Free!) Search
iSaintJohn Home Forums Home Contact Us Site Rules Terms of Use Privacy Statement

Visit the upgraded front page of iSJ for more info!

Free Saint John Visitor's Guide

Search the web:

Go Back   Saint John Classifieds & Forums > Other Discussion > Jobs & Education

Old 11-23-2009

Default Topic: i need advice, pregnant & jobhunting

i need advice, pregnant & jobhunting

hello everyone

I am 14 1/2 weeks pregnant and i am looking for a job. I was let go from my last job soon after i told my boss i was expecting.

my question is:
When being interviewed for a new job, do i tell them i'm pregnant?

So far i have had a few interviews and possible employment was looking good but as soon as i mention my condition the interview seems to go down hill. I am going for another interview today and i am so stressed out, i really need a job soon, bills are piling up fast.

What does everyone think?
Old 11-23-2009

I went to my interview, didn't go well.

First thing she asked was why I left my last job.

I couldn't lie.
I was fired for no other reason than that I was pregnant.

I even have a hand written reference from my former boss. She had no problem referring me elsewhere.

This is not the first time this has happened to me, both times i couldn't do anything because of the "probation period". It is not fair, i am a honest person, i have worked my whole life and now i feel like I'm being treated like i have some sort of decease. The last time it happened, the stress got to me and we lost the baby. I am so scared it is happening again.

I haven't done anything wrong!

AAUUURRGGGGG!!!!!!! I have to go cry now.
Old 11-23-2009
Member (100 to 500 posts)

Have you considered going to a Temp Agency? They focus on the short term assignments, and as long as you're able to do the work assigned, they probably wouldn't care that you'll be unavailable in 5-6 months. Then towards the tail end of your maternity leave you could start the permanent job hunt.
Old 11-24-2009
Long-Time Member (500+ posts)

I have one rule during job interviews Sweetie. If they don't ask, I don't tell. I took a stupid job finding course a few years back and short of lying we were told never to offer anything the interviewer does not ask. If you are starting to show a little, wear a bigger top. I can't really see any interviewer ask you if you are pregnant because unless you will be doing heavy manual labour being pregnant will not affect your ability to do your job.
Without bold face lying, can you come up with another reason you left your other jobs? Your old employer is not allowed to say negitive things about you. All he can legally say is if you were punctual, and reliable or not and that you worked there. If you want to know what he is saying, get one of your friend to pose as a potential employer and call him to ask about you. That way you will know for sure what he is saying. I don't think he is allowed to say you were pregnant.
Old 11-24-2009
Member (< 100 posts)

Definitely a don't ask, don't tell situation. I was in a similar situation when I was pregnant last winter and needed to get a job for hours for maternity leave. Either try a temp agency, or a call center if you can stand the work. I went with a call center by the way and was hired at 4 months pregnant. I just didn't mention it until someone asked
Old 11-26-2009

i can't believe it! i fell alittle behind in the bills, and now my phone has been cut. I have no way of knowing if anyone is calling for an interview. I give up.........i can't do this anymore........ I just feel like laying down and not getting up. I'm done. Jesus I just put $300 on that bill last week.

My husband is working himself sick. I'm worried he will burn himself out.
It's never enough.
One step up, two steps back....story of my life.

Sorry about the rant needed to get it out. now i will go cry myself to sleep, nothing to eat for supper.
Old 11-27-2009

No, no, no. You will get the phone back. In a bit. For now go get yourself a cheap cell phone then let the possible employers that you wanted to get a job with your new phone number or if you can't do that call the poss employers and give them the number of a neighbour to leave a message. (clear it with neighbour first) Employers want good workers and are not put off by leaving messages for people. Some people work elsewhere and can only be reached by message. Employers know this.

Don't get discouraged. If you have no food go to the food bank. No shame in it, lots of folks have to do it. When you reach rock bottom, there is nowhere to go but up. Honest to God, you will get through this. It seem insurmountable for now but you will climb out of it.

If you give up, nothing will change or get better. However bad it is you still have a lot to be thankful for. List them and it will help you to feel better. Up and at'em sweetie.
Old 11-28-2009

Oh dawn-marie. I swear our lives seem to take the same track. My phone was ct off the 11th of this month because they messed up, and refuse to fix their issue. I now have to pay 300$ to try and get it put back on.

Go to the foodbank. It is really the only help I can think of to suggest. There is no shame if you need it, and it will free up a bit of money for you to get somewhat caught up if you dont have to buy groceries.
Old 11-29-2009

I have been crying so much in the last few hours.
I went to the mall today. I was so overwhelmed. I felt so guilty for buying a toy for my son for christmas, it was on sale and wasn't that much. I saw people going with large toys and carts full of things. I wish I could have gotten more for him.

My hubby looked at me funny when i got home and i just lost it, I felt so stupid for wasteing money on things we didn't need. I haven't spent a dime except for bills in the last 2 months. He wasn't mad at me but i felt like he might have been disapointed in me.
And after i got crying my hormones got the best of me and now I can't stop. My head hurts.

Sometimes i wish life wasn't so hard......*sigh*....a good sleep is what i need.

Last edited by Dawn-Marie; 11-29-2009 at 09:29 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 11-30-2009

Sorry for all of your troubles. Where are you looking for employment?
Old 11-30-2009

Things will get better. I know how you feel but they will get better! Theres always a storm before a rainbow!