Can they do this to me? Jobs & Education

i SJ: Saint John, New Brunswick  Shopping, Classifieds, Jobs, Real Estate & Rentals, Discussion, Deals, Flyers, + more!

Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online!
Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online! See all recent posts Post a new ad / message Enhanced Features  Helpdesk
Business Advertising Sign-Up (Free!) Search
iSaintJohn Home Forums Home Contact Us Site Rules Terms of Use Privacy Statement

Visit the upgraded front page of iSJ for more info!

Free Saint John Visitor's Guide

Search the web:

Go Back   Saint John Classifieds & Forums > Other Discussion > Jobs & Education

Old 04-09-2009
Long-Time Member (500+ posts)

Default Topic: Can they do this to me?

Maybe rhiley, maybe not. I belonged to a strong union for 15 years so I do know the benefit of a strong union. My son on the other hand belonged to the labourers union and they were crap. he worked for an irving company for 8 months. Was promised health benefit similar to blue cross but there was always some loophole and he never did get it. He paid weekly for it but was never allowed to use it. He paid weekly dues to the union too but was not a member of that union because they said it was something about hours or some othere foolish thing. Whatever it was there was always a loophole to his recieving any benefit from belonging to that union. He really has a bad taste in his mouth regarding unions.

After belonging to a strong union for so long, and no I was not on the executive, I was glad when he got a job that had a union but after seeing him deal with this arse kissing union, my opinion has changed somewhat.

Irving has a history of hating unions and has already convinced one union membership to return their cards and no longer be unionized. It's just a matter of time.
Old 04-09-2009

jennifer, was sympathy really what you were after?

I don't mean to sound unsympathic about your getting fired but if you apply or get a job that requires shift work, it is not really wise to go back later with or without a doctor's note saying you can't work nights. I know what you are saying about night shift. I worked as a nurse for 18 years. Hated night shift from day one but if I didn't want to work nights then I shouldn't have taken the job knowing there was a night shift.

Fair is fair both ways. You were aware there was a night shift and the employer needs a night shift filled. If you cannot do the nights, why accept the job?

Last edited by inuit; 04-09-2009 at 07:20 AM..
Old 04-09-2009
**Bronze-Level** Paid Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifer25ca2006 View Post
not anywhere in that posting did they show sympathy whatso ever.. But i really do not care i have a namea number of someone i need to speak to tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stripekv View Post
...sorry...
Quote:
Originally Posted by dictionary.com
sorry - –adjective, -ri⋅er, -ri⋅est. 1. feeling regret, compunction, sympathy, pity, etc.: To be sorry to leave one's friends; to be sorry for a remark; to be sorry for someone in trouble. 2. regrettable or deplorable; unfortunate; tragic: A sorry situation; to come to a sorry end. 3. sorrowful, grieved, or sad: Was she sorry when her brother died? 4. associated with sorrow; suggestive of grief or suffering; melancholy; dismal. 5. wretched, poor, useless, or pitiful: A sorry horse. 6. (used interjectionally as a conventional apology or expression of regret): Sorry, you're misinformed. Did i bump you? Sorry

Old 04-09-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by inuit View Post
Maybe rhiley, maybe not. I belonged to a strong union for 15 years so I do know the benefit of a strong union. My son on the other hand belonged to the labourers union and they were crap. he worked for an irving company for 8 months. Was promised health benefit similar to blue cross but there was always some loophole and he never did get it. He paid weekly for it but was never allowed to use it. He paid weekly dues to the union too but was not a member of that union because they said it was something about hours or some othere foolish thing. Whatever it was there was always a loophole to his recieving any benefit from belonging to that union. He really has a bad taste in his mouth regarding unions.

After belonging to a strong union for so long, and no I was not on the executive, I was glad when he got a job that had a union but after seeing him deal with this arse kissing union, my opinion has changed somewhat.

Irving has a history of hating unions and has already convinced one union membership to return their cards and no longer be unionized. It's just a matter of time.

A lot of unions do require so many hours before you actually become a member, such as the Roofers and Sheet Metal Workers Union. I wasn't aware of it with the labourer's union though. Although you may be working in a unionized environment, and paying dues, health and welfare, you are not able to receive the benefits until you have the hours. I know it doesn't seem fair but it does work out in the long run.

As for the labour union, I will agree with you. I am in the Carpenter's Union, and the one that runs the labour union used to run ours until we gave him the boot. He is sneaky and underhanded. He is even training labourers now to cross trade lines and take the Carpenter's work. Not at all what being in a union is about.
Old 04-09-2009

Yeah you are right Rhiley but there is a catch. This company hires seasonally so although he paid health and dental and paid dues because he is laid off regularly, he may not for years be able to use this. They sure are fast enough to collect the dues and the health payments though. Leaves a bad taste in one's mouth. My son says he will not return to this company mainly because of the union thing. Last year he paid out so much money with very little in return.
Old 04-09-2009

Quote:
Yeah you are right Rhiley but there is a catch. This company hires seasonally so although he paid health and dental and paid dues because he is laid off regularly, he may not for years be able to use this. They sure are fast enough to collect the dues and the health payments though. Leaves a bad taste in one's mouth. My son says he will not return to this company mainly because of the union thing. Last year he paid out so much money with very little in return.

It's too bad he feels this way. Hopefully he doesn't feel this way about the whole union movement. You said yourself that you experienced the benefits of a strong union, so you know that it is not all like his situation. I wouldn't normally suggest this, but, he could go to the human rights commission and file a complaint, or at least tell the union he plans on doing it. If it's one thing a union doesn't want it's a human rights violation. He could get his money back.
Old 04-09-2009

Quote:
jennifer, was sympathy really what you were after?

I don't mean to sound unsympathic about your getting fired but if you apply or get a job that requires shift work, it is not really wise to go back later with or without a doctor's note saying you can't work nights. I know what you are saying about night shift. I worked as a nurse for 18 years. Hated night shift from day one but if I didn't want to work nights then I shouldn't have taken the job knowing there was a night shift.

Fair is fair both ways. You were aware there was a night shift and the employer needs a night shift filled. If you cannot do the nights, why accept the job?
I was not aware that my body could not handle doing the overnight shift. I did a little of 1 year of it. Unfortunatly my diabetes is not responding to it very well and is making me really sick. That being said If i had of known that i would get sick I defiantly would not have accepted the night shift. I love working the night shift but my health is more important then that. I just do not understand why it is that they say they didnt have a shift available in the day time and that they needed me on nights and now on the job bank they are hiring a bunch of ppl for the day shift..
Old 04-09-2009

Call centers can be pretty sneaky. They may advertise for day shift and once they get people they get switched to nights. My friend work for a call center a few years back and she was hired to do day shift but once the training was completed and she had worked a few more weeks, they said her numbers were down and they switched her to nights. She found another job and quit. That's why I think call centers should be unionized. They do whatever they want with no recourse for the employees. They have even changed the labour laws to better suit the call centers. It really sucks.

I guess the only thing good is that if you quit or get fired from a call center it is easier to get EI than anywhere else. I may be wrong there but that's what my friend told me. It is a job I could not do.
Old 04-09-2009

Yeah Rhiley I see what you are saying. They are really not doing anything wrong legally but morally I think it sucks. They should not be allowed to collect payments and dues from workers that may never acheive the hours needed to get use of what they are paying for. I am certain the union breaks no laws, it's just a *removed* way of getting money out of people.

Unions have changed and people have changed so much that eventually unions will no longer exist. JMO. I think people have become complacent and have forgotten why the unions were formed in the first place. I think people take it for granted now that they will be treated fairly by their employers.

When I started working within a union, if you went out on strike the other unions within your trade went out in support. Boy have those days passed. Now you are on your own. If your membership is low or weak you are at the mercy of the employer. Nobody's going to come to your support. Do you remember the days when if the teachers went out, the custodians and the bus drivers unions wouldn't cross their picket lines. Does not happen these days. It's every union for themselves.

Wal mart has a long history of union breaking and denial. Look at the Walmart in Quebec. They closed the store down rather than accept a union and most people who didn't work there agreed with Walmart. How crazy is that. Good unions bring in heath care,pensions, sick leave, job guarntees and fair working conditions for the employees. Walmart hire everyone part time so they don't have to pay health care, overtime, sick days, holiday pay or pension. Saves the company millions a year while the workers become day workers with no benefits or pensions.

Last edited by puppyluv; 04-11-2009 at 02:56 PM.. Reason: Please do not attempt to bypass the language rules
Old 04-09-2009
Member (100 to 500 posts)

I've worked at an actual placement agency office before..you won't go anywhere with this. Request to your placement agency to seek other employment for you. You are more than likely wasting your time while you could be working somewhere else.
Old 04-11-2009
Member (100 to 500 posts)

Jennifer everyone who has stated that you dont have a leg to stand on is right. Your contract was terminated; your employment with the agency was not. My daughters friend just had the same thing happen to her after 2 years with a company she thought cared a lot about her. In this case they did not even give her a reason just that she was no longer needed after they spent weeks getting HER to train other people on her jobs.

So call the labor board they are going to tell you the same thing they said to this girl; sorry we can not do a thing. Unfortunately saint john call centers are laying off big time (wyndham, NCO, eddie bauer, etc) and without a formal education getting much else around here is slim pickens. So she has decided to move with my daughter in 2 months to ontario in search of more stable employment.

As someone who was a manager for 18 years even with a doctors note a chronic sick person becomes a headache. However thats what happens when you work in an industry like that....you get what you get and with no formal education you can not expect much better. Maybe its time to look at education or job skills training jenn seems like it would be more suited to your needs
Old 04-11-2009

This is where a union would come handy. A sick person should never become a headache. It's not their fault they are sick. Should the fact that they become sick while employed with a company mean that they should be dismissed and no longer be able to earn a meger living? This is part of the reason unions were formed in the first place.
Old 04-11-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazingsun View Post
...you get what you get and with no formal education you can not expect much better.
Education or lack thereof should not have any bearing on how you are treated. It's attitudes like this that go to show that management has no consideration for others, and why employees in this day and age still need representation.

That's why I will organize until I die!
Old 04-11-2009

Old 04-11-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazingsun View Post
As someone who was a manager for 18 years even with a doctors note a chronic sick person becomes a headache. However thats what happens when you work in an industry like that....you get what you get and with no formal education you can not expect much better. Maybe its time to look at education or job skills training jenn seems like it would be more suited to your needs
Just becuase I worked in a call center does not mean that I do not have an education.. I have a great education, but to tell you the truth what I am trained for no one will hire unless you have experience. How the hell am I suppose to get experience if no one will give it to me.. DO NOT just assume that I have no education. You know nothing about me and have no right telling me that that I need an education and better job skills training.. You have no right..
Old 04-12-2009
**Silver-Level** Paid Account

I never understood why places would do that, especially if they are hiring for day shifts. I do understand though why they would choose to terminate the contract, because no matter the reason, trying to schedule around everyone's wants, needs, and health issues becomes a scheduling nightmare. My roommate has a chronic illness and has had major surgery last year, but I KNOW some days she just feels a little "off" and just doesn't go in. I won't even consider taking her resume to my employer because we absolutely cannot have someone like that on our staff, since the 11-7 and 7-3 shift have only 1 person working it, and sometimes the 3-11 as well. We run into situations enough as it is for normal levels of sick calls-when the 3-11 person calls in sick and the 7-3 person has to pick their kids up at school at 3:10, what DO YOU DO? When the 11-7 am person calls in sick and the 3-11 person has to already work at 7 am the next morning? Leave the place unattended til someone can get there? At one of my other jobs it is even MORE specialized, I am the ONLY one who can do what I do, no one else has the math background. At my third job, there we all do basically the same functions so one person calling in sick just makes the other 7-10 be a WHOLE lot busier.
Call centers are often the only place where someone WITH a chronic illness can find success, because they *plan* for sick calls and if one employee out of 31 calls in sick, all it means is everyone takes 110 calls instead of 106 and that calls wait 2 min 14 sec instead of 2 min. Have you tried Iron Mountain? For them, the night shift is a perk, for only the best and most trained. They won't even LET you work overnight if you want to.

Last edited by trinity; 04-12-2009 at 02:18 AM..
Old 04-13-2009

I have and unfortunatly they are not hiring at this time... I wish they were.
Old 04-19-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifer25ca2006 View Post
Just becuase I worked in a call center does not mean that I do not have an education.. I have a great education, but to tell you the truth what I am trained for no one will hire unless you have experience. How the hell am I suppose to get experience if no one will give it to me.. DO NOT just assume that I have no education. You know nothing about me and have no right telling me that that I need an education and better job skills training.. You have no right..
You are stuck in that vicious circle many of us get in. You go and spend thousands on education and then can't get hired in your field because there are no jobs available and when one does come up, you are not experienced enough. Like you said, how the hell do you get experience if no one will hire you!!!! I am in the position of making the decision of going back to school AGAIN or going out to look for another no paying job!! Where do you go, what do you take so that you aren't in that vicious cycle!!!?? Hard call to make huh!!

As everyone else has said, unfortunately you were hired through a placement agency and when it comes to terminating your job, it makes it WAY to easy for them!!

Call ceneters SUCK!!! They may pay better than your average job, which is why everyone grabs for them...so they can pay their bills. Call centers are not family friendly, they are not health friendly, well let's just say they are not friendly at all. It's almost like going back to highschool from my understanding. You run with the crowd you move with the crowd. You don't, u stay where you are and never get ahead. You piss the wrong person off, then you're gone!! And they WILL DIG until they find something on you to give cause for termination!!

Here's an example of what call ceneters do for ya!!

A family memeber of mine has been working at one since atleast 2002 or somewhere near there. He was promised a tv after being there for a year or something to that affect, and ofcourse just as the day rolled up, they decided that they weren't doing that anymore.
Then he was promised a bonus or something else appealing, and again when the date rolled around, "Oh we have decided not to do that anymore" This has been happening to everything they have promised him since he started there!!
The last one...he was supposed to get a raise. All the night staff, sleep during their shift except for my person...who ends up taking ALL the calls......funny one of the girls who sleeps EVERY night got the raise and then my person was told they decided not to give the raise.... so he has been working for that many years with them, doing every one else's jobs while they sleep and what does he get? Nothing and my guess, is he never will!!

And before I go, I'd like to add, if you work at a call center and then get laid off and decide you want to go back to school and want help paying for it thru EI, forget it!!! You already have a skill!! LoL Imagine!! Answering phones is a skill!! lol I answered phones, etc for a year as an admin assistant, and I am allowed to utilize that service because I guess I don't share that skill??? ...odd huh!! Call Centers seem to screw ya one way or another!!

Anyways Jennifer, good luck, I hope you find something that suits your health needs and that is understanding of your condition!!! and I hope you are feeling better!! =) I have diabetics in my family and friend circle and it's not something to screw around with, it does sometimes make what is easy for "me" hard for "you" and it's no joking matter!!!!

Last edited by Pumpkin; 04-19-2009 at 05:03 PM.. Reason: typo