Need laptop fixed! :: Saint John, NB - Computers & Technology

Saint John, New Brunswick  Shopping, Classifieds, Jobs, Real Estate & Rentals, Discussion, Deals, Flyers, + more!

Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online!
Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online! See all recent posts Post a new ad / message Enhanced Features  Helpdesk
Business Advertising Sign-Up (Free!) Search
iSaintJohn Home Forums Home Contact Us Site Rules Terms of Use Privacy Statement

Special iSJ Features: 
Shopping Mall
Links to dozens of sites
Online Flyers
Links to flyers for Sobeys, Superstore, Sears, drugstores, & many more retailers.
iSJ Paid Advertising
It's easy, effective, & affordable. Reach thousands of people for as little as $5.55 per week!
Search the web:

Go Back   Saint John Classifieds & Forums > Other Discussion > Computers & Technology

Old 05-03-2010
Member (< 100 posts)

Default Topic: Need laptop fixed!

Need laptop fixed!

Hi, my daughter was using her laptop and it when she shut it down, and turned it on again, it said "disk error press alt/control/delete", she did, and when it rebooted, it now says "can't find operating software". It's a Dell laptop with Vista on it. 2 years old. I have all the cd's for it, operating software, disk drives, webcam cd , etc. Can someone look at this and see what's up with it. Or do you have any suggestions where I can take it to get fixed?? Any computer guys with ads on here to fix computers???
Sue
Old 05-03-2010
Member (100 to 500 posts)

I am a network tech and it sounds to me that the hard drive has failed but would not be able to be sure of that until it was actually looked at
Old 05-04-2010
Member (< 100 posts)

hit f8 on boot, Then select REPAIR. follow the steps to restore you PC. If you don't feel comfortable doing this I can fix it for ya.

Mike - 651-0843
Old 05-04-2010
Member (< 100 posts)

call me where are you located as i am off hickey road up from simonds high school 651-1878
Old 05-04-2010
Member (< 100 posts)

The suggestion to hit F8 on bootup will not work unless the hard disk is able to load Windows - and by the looks of it, that is not even happening here.

One thing you can try is:
- insert the Windows Vista disk
- power on the computer. Start tapping the F12 key right away.
- you should be presented with a list of menu options. Select your DVD drive from the list of bootup options
- It should start booting from the installation disk. See what options you are given, and try to run a startup repair. This may fail if the computer cannot access your hard drive for whatever reason, but it is worth a shot.

It's possible that there's a loose connection inside the laptop, in which case it's an easy fix. The worst-case scenerio is a failed hard drive. It still might be possible to recover the information on it, with the right tools.

If I were looking at it, I would open it up and check the physical connections. After that I would try running Dell's diagnostic utility from a flash drive to see if it was able to fix the problem or give further clues as to what the problem is.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions. I am A+ and MCSA certified and do a lot of this type of thing for a living.
Old 05-05-2010
Member (100 to 500 posts)

I can help you with this just call me at 652-8944