What Went Wrong With The H1N1 Clinics? :: Saint John, NB - Health & Wellness

Saint John, New Brunswick  Shopping, Classifieds, Jobs, Real Estate & Rentals, Discussion, Deals, Flyers, + more!

Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online!
Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online! See all recent posts Post a new ad / message Enhanced Features  Helpdesk
Business Advertising Sign-Up (Free!) Search
iSaintJohn Home Forums Home Contact Us Site Rules Terms of Use Privacy Statement

Special iSJ Features: 
Shopping Mall
Links to dozens of sites
Online Flyers
Links to flyers for Sobeys, Superstore, Sears, drugstores, & many more retailers.
iSJ Paid Advertising
It's easy, effective, & affordable. Reach thousands of people for as little as $5.55 per week!
Search the web:

Featured Advertiser:

Naturally for Life - the eco store (NOW OPEN)! We offer an excellent selection of eco-friendly and fair-trade products, knowledge, and superior customer service!

Advertise Here

Go Back   Saint John Classifieds & Forums > Other Discussion > Health & Wellness

Old 11-04-2009
Member (100 to 500 posts)

Default Topic: What Went Wrong With The H1N1 Clinics?

What Went Wrong With The H1N1 Clinics?

Wondering what people's opinion is on what went wrong with the clinics. Did the government wait too long before approving the vaccine? Did the government under estimate the number of people that would line up for the shot? What went wrong?
Old 11-04-2009

Id love to know myself, my mother in law and i are both high risk and yet we have not gotten the shot yet, and now im on Tamiflu.
Old 11-04-2009

They should have given it to children first then high risk adults then the rest of the general public.
Old 11-04-2009

I'm still wondering where all the initial vaccine went? after reading that some members of the QMJHL (entire teams) received vaccines in NB and the Calgary Flames and families had a special clinic set up for them, I think the government (federal as well as provinicial) needs to come clean on just how many "special" groups received vaccine that was intended for the priority groups! How many other pro hockey teams, football teams and basketball teams and families have gotten the shot?What a $#@$%# farce this has turned into!

Last edited by Jilly-Bean; 11-04-2009 at 07:56 AM..
Old 11-04-2009

When I took my 15 month old son to a clinic to get vaccinated, there were signs everywhere stating "ONLY CHILDREN 6 MONTHS-18 years & PREGNANT WOMEN WILL BE VACCINATED" and yet I still had to stand there watching as people who are so ignorant and selfish, in their 20's & 30s go in, b**** & complain and cause a scene, and walk out with their vaccine, but myself (who is high risk) AND MY 2 YEAR OLD DAUGHTER had to turn away unvaccinated because my 15 month old literally recieved the very last dose that this particular clinic had. This makes me want to strangle some people...little children and pregnant women are far more important than a completely healthy man in his 20's.
Old 11-04-2009

By the way, if I hadn't of had my 2 babies with me at the time, I probably would've started a brawl I was so furious LOL
Don't mess with a mommy trying to protect her young!
Old 11-04-2009

i could care less if i get the shot as long as kids get theirs first.. i also changed my mind and am letting my kids get the shots once school re-schedules them.
Old 11-04-2009
Long-Time Member (500+ posts)

What I heard them say on the radio news, was that apparently only about 48% of the population was saying they wanted the shot. Then all of a sudden panic set in, and the numbers went way up and they didn't have enough ready for that many people.

Whether that is true or not, I don't know, but that is what I heard them saying.
Old 11-04-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamAndEmmasMom View Post
When I took my 15 month old son to a clinic to get vaccinated, there were signs everywhere stating "ONLY CHILDREN 6 MONTHS-18 years & PREGNANT WOMEN WILL BE VACCINATED" and yet I still had to stand there watching as people who are so ignorant and selfish, in their 20's & 30s go in, b**** & complain and cause a scene, and walk out with their vaccine, but myself (who is high risk) AND MY 2 YEAR OLD DAUGHTER had to turn away unvaccinated because my 15 month old literally recieved the very last dose that this particular clinic had. This makes me want to strangle some people...little children and pregnant women are far more important than a completely healthy man in his 20's.
I would be furious too, but the people who were administering the vaccine, should have been turning those people away instead of vaccinating them before the ones who were specified to be. Sounds like someone is not doing their job properly to me!!

Maybe the young ones actually were people with weak immune systems and we hoping to get theirs doen before they caught it. You never know. Or maybe they work in health care of some sort. Health care professionals were also priority. It may not have been posted, but maybe that's how they go in past you...who knows!! Still a p*** off though!!!

Too bad you couldn't complain, lol but it would be pointles, because everyone is complaining at this point.

Sorry you had such bad luck. Hopefully you will get it done on the next trip and not have to make another!!!
Old 11-05-2009

No, I know they weren't of priority of any kind because they were about 3 people ahead of me in line, so I could hear everything they were ranting and compalining about and it was all about "No one should be higher priority than others, we are all importatant,blah blah blah" And they get vaccinated, trust me, these nurses who allowed this to go on are probably getting alot of flack from their bosses (or at least hopefully they are)
Old 11-05-2009

Wonder if their "bosses" even know!!

When was that, last week or this week after they announced the national shortage?

If after, I would have been making it VERY loudly known what they were pulling!! You should have butt right infront of them and if they had anything to say about it, you should have told them to learn to read, and pointed out the signage!! :P They should have atleast been put to the back line until priority people were done!!
Old 11-06-2009
Member (< 100 posts)

I think I already read from someone already but the problem is for sure that they were not organized. They worried everyone into getting this vaccine, so everyone that wanted it got it (all ages) and when they run out tell everyone only priority groups should get it, that's how it should have been from the very beginning!! Children, elderly, and anyone with breathing, lung issues should have been on the top of the list!! They are sending more next week, but than everyone needs there second shot the following week that had already gotten the first shot so I don't see how this is going to work, someone screwed up big time!! I hope for everyone that is high risk that they straighten this messed up system out before than
Old 11-08-2009

What I feel would have been a wiser plan would have been for each Dr. to set days that he/she do all of his own patients. The percentage that does not have a family physician can then go to the clinics set up at different points. IMO this would have been a bit more organized. Another thingI want to mention is...do we have to be in our hometown to get the shot? The reason I ask is because my mom is getting hers tomorrow in her Dr. office in Sussex. Since I am taking her, I figured it may be my chance to get mine at the same time. Does anyone know the answer to this???