Correspondance courses Jobs & Education

i SJ: Saint John, New Brunswick  Shopping, Classifieds, Jobs, Real Estate & Rentals, Discussion, Deals, Flyers, + more!

Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online!
Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online! See all recent posts Post a new ad / message Enhanced Features  Helpdesk
Business Advertising Sign-Up (Free!) Search
iSaintJohn Home Forums Home Contact Us Site Rules Terms of Use Privacy Statement

Visit the upgraded front page of iSJ for more info!

Free Saint John Visitor's Guide

Search the web:

Go Back   Saint John Classifieds & Forums > Other Discussion > Jobs & Education

Old 02-19-2009
Member (100 to 500 posts)

Default Topic: Correspondance courses

Correspondance courses

I am looking for information on correspondance courses. I am too old to go back to school so thought maybe online or corespondance is the way to go. I have been looking online all eveing but there are so many how can I find out which ones are reputable?

Any info at all would be appreciated!
Old 02-19-2009

Check to make sure the school is accredited and that they have a good reputation with the BBB.

I took a course through Mactech (they are a bit pricey, but they are accredited when places like compucollege wasn't). You can get a Canada Student loan for financing.
Old 02-19-2009

You can never be too old to return to school. I have people in school with me that are well over twice my age.
Old 02-19-2009

I will need to work fulltime while I take the courses so I thought correspondance would work better for me. I really wouldnt be comfortable going back to school now after 20 some years.
Old 02-20-2009

Smile Topic: Correspondance courses

The community college NBCC has quite a few different ones, you should check out there website, I know some people doing them right now and they like it.
Old 02-20-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterflyprincess View Post
The community college NBCC has quite a few different ones, you should check out there website, I know some people doing them right now and they like it.
I actually checked out their site last night but it seemed all they had was courses that looked like they were for upgrading here is the list:
Select a category:

Business Administration
Civil Engineering Technology
Computer/Electronics Engineering Technology
Electrical Engineering Technology
Human Services
Mechanical Engineering Technology
Secondary Courses - Accounting (High School)
Secondary Courses - English (High School)
Secondary Courses - Mathematics (High School)
Secondary Courses - Other (High School)
Secondary Courses - Science (High School)

I was looking for a full course. Maybe I will call today and see if I can get more info.

Thanks!
Old 02-20-2009

Smile Topic: Correspondance courses

my sister in law is taking early childhood education and a friend is taking teachers assistant. but i would call to find out more.
Old 02-20-2009

I also had a friend that took a medical Secretary course years ago but I cant find anything like that.
Old 02-20-2009

Corresondence

What are you interested in taking? Most universities offer courses by correspondence/e-mail. I have to agree with others who say that you are never too old to go back to school- I've just gone back to university after 18 years- I'm taking two courses at night, pursuing a BBA. It doesn't cost anymore than going full time, except that it will take me slightly longer to finish. Good luck to you!!
Old 02-20-2009

I really am not sure I was hoping to see a catelogue and go from there.

Funny huh 41 years old and still dont know what to do with the rest of my left, lol
Old 02-20-2009

Education

If I were you, the first thing I'd do it make an appointment with a counsellor. I know the university has career counsellors, and the community college probably does too. They can sit down with you and go over your interests. It would be a good idea for you to have an idea of what you want to do, before you pay out good money for something that you aren't interested in. I'm sure there are on-line questionnaires you could do as well, but I would use them as a jumping off point, not as a firm indicator as to what you should take.

The reason I mention university and college is because of their excellent support systems. It can be hard to remain motivated when you are taking a course on line. Being around people taking the same course, being able to get together to work on homework and projects, and having the personal support of people who are going through the same demands as you are can make all the difference. There is such a wide variety of ages in my classes, and I think it offers an advantage...Lots of different points of view to consider!
Old 02-20-2009

i am in my second yr of a Business Diploma program at NBCC...I am in my early 40's...Its never too late and I am just figuring out what I am going to do in life as well...lol
Old 02-21-2009

Sorry, not much help but just a thought. I graduated from UNB last year and I had people in my class that were in their '60s and '70s. I thought it was great- you're never too old to learn.
Old 04-05-2009

You are NEVER too old to go back.. my grandmother became an RNA ( called LPN these days) when she was in her 50's! And she was valedictorian. I am in correspondence classes for a degree.. through Athabasca University. It is an awesome university and very easy to mauever through the site for any info needed. They have alots of Undergrad and graduate programs. www.athabascau.ca

email me if you want to know more. I have been a student of AU since 2002.
fergiak@hotmail.com