Drywalling and plastering Home & Garden

i SJ: Saint John, New Brunswick  Shopping, Classifieds, Jobs, Real Estate & Rentals, Discussion, Deals, Flyers, + more!

Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online!
Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online! See all recent posts Post a new ad / message Enhanced Features  Helpdesk
Business Advertising Sign-Up (Free!) Search
iSaintJohn Home Forums Home Contact Us Site Rules Terms of Use Privacy Statement

Visit the upgraded front page of iSJ for more info!

Free Saint John Visitor's Guide

Search the web:

Go Back   Saint John Classifieds & Forums > Other Discussion > Home & Garden

Old 07-25-2009
Long-Time Member (500+ posts)

Default Topic: Drywalling and plastering

Well I have finished that awful job and thought I was all done with the plaster and the sanding but alas No. I took a closer look at the windows and I see a 3/4 inch wide channel and it looks like a piece of wood or something needs to go there to box in the window. UUUGGG I will try to tackle that job tomorrow after I tar over two windows that have leaked during the rain storm. Oh my, the fun never ends. I think I've inhaled and injested more drywall dust than there is drywall on the walls.

I saw that dust free compound and it is out of my price range.If I knew what I was doing it might be a good buy but I'm way too green to be using something so expensive.
Old 07-25-2009

Power to you girl for doing this work all by yourself!!!

Hey, if you need to build an 8x12 baby barn, lemme know. Might not be perfect, but I've done it before! lol
Old 07-26-2009
Member (< 100 posts)

You can use a shop vac to clean up the mess, there are special bags that you put in your shop vac, also there is also a kit that you can attach to your shop vac to sand the plaster.

Last edited by mickey; 07-26-2009 at 07:59 AM.. Reason: spelling
Old 07-26-2009

I am afraid to use a vacuume cleaner for the dust because it is so fine. I think it will go into the motor and ruin it. However I will have to use the shop vac a little becase there is plaster dust down under the wall edges and in the seams on the floor that I will have to get out before I can finish the job. There is no other way to get it out.

Thanks Mrs. B. Yeah I have built a 8x10 porch before too. I have just never tackled anything inside the house that requires exact measuring and cutting. When I finish (if I finish) I am going to treat myself to a giant meal somewhere good. LOL

With my luck once I get all of this finished, I will meet a wonderul man who will say"I could have helped you with all of this". I'll have to kill him then.LOL
Old 07-26-2009
Member (< 100 posts)

There are special bags that you buy for the shop vac, and will not hurt your shop vac, we renovated our old trailer and now in the process of renovating our house and that is what we used and did not harm our shop vac, the bags are around $15.00 for two. Shop vacs are totally different than your normal vacuum cleaner, I like Mrs B would not recommend you use your vacuum cleaner as it will burn the motor out of it.
Old 07-26-2009

It is not that mcuh more than the liteweight compound at all. about 2-4 dollars more and indeed does do what it says it will. We have (and still are) using it. Purple topped container...excellent product by CGC~
Old 07-26-2009

I'm sitting here patting myself on the back for almost being done with the drywall until I just realized I haven't built the closet in my bedroom yet. I had forgotten all about it. Not today though. Today I have to haul the ladder out and get up and retar those two leaking windows. Worse thing about a leak is that it is so hard to figure out exactly where the water is coming in. UUUGGG.

I have about 1/2 of a container of compound left so I think that will be enough to finish the awful job. If I live to be 150, I swear I'll never touch drywall again. (If I ever get this job done by then)

BTW completely OT, How is Jake puppylove?
Old 07-26-2009

Inuit, I feel for you. We completely renovated our house 2 years ago, hubby and I tore all the old plaster and lath board down from all cielings and walls in our 1400 sq foot home. We insulated / vapor barrier / dry walled / crack filled / sanded/ primed and painted it all our selves, It was one hell of a job. Kudos to you!!

One saving grace was a dry wall lifter we rented from Home Depot, you set the drywall on the lift, cranked it up to the cieling or wall, and just screwed away, that would have saved you a lot of bruising and black and blue marks!
Old 07-26-2009

I used two deadmans (?) when I did the ceiling. I dropped the sheets while trying to lift one sheet on top of the other. I put most of my sheets up longways but it was hard lifting them. They'd start to slide down and I'd put my leg out to stop it and got bruised. My poor old toes took the worse beating. I swear at times I thought I'd broken my toes. LOL

I am doing the window boxing in now. I've discovered strapping cut 1 1/2 inches wide fits perfectly or 2 lathes fits well too. I'm not very good at ripping strapping so I might just go with the lathes.
Old 08-01-2009

Finally got the drywalling finished. After all that work, two windows began leaking. I've tarred them twice, put plastic over them but still leaking. The leak must originate somewhere on the roof. Maybe at the vent pipes. My next job will be to go up on the roof and reseal and tar around the vent pipes. In the meantime I paint. Another dispicable job.
Old 08-04-2009

to you. I gutted my whole basement, took all the crap out, boards, rusty old nails etc, all by myself, and it was so hard. I designed what I wanted and the guys that came did a great job insulating, drywalling and laying laminate flooring. I did all the priming and painting myself too. What a job it was and was so happy when it was all done. Thanks to my wonderful husband that never lifted a hammer or paint brush. Just one of many reasons he is now my Ex.
Old 08-04-2009

I hear you Bradorna. I have those too. I think I've started a collection. LOL.

I got up on the roof and tarred the daylights out of the vents. Used 3/4 of a can of tar on 2 vents. Next rainstorm, the windows still leaked. Driving me bonkers!!!UUUGGG Not sure what to do next.
Old 08-06-2009

I think I've found the source of the leak for one window at least. When the electricians put in the big main power post through the wall.it left a hole around it.I didn't notice it because it was filled with insulation and even had insulation sticking out. It was partially covered with tarpaper. Today I tore down the drywall, vapour barrier and insulation surrrounding the leaking window and found the top of the outer wall wet.Whe i went outside and looked up at where the wall was wet I discovered the hole around the post. I tarred it and covered around and over top of it so now I wait for the next rainstorm and see if the bloody thing leaks. It's supposed to rain hard on Tuesday. If no leaks, I will put the wall back together. I think it was harder to tear down the wall than it was to put it up.If that's possible.