st peters catholic girls school Genealogy & Local History

i SJ: Saint John, New Brunswick  Shopping, Classifieds, Jobs, Real Estate & Rentals, Discussion, Deals, Flyers, + more!

Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online!
Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online! See all recent posts Post a new ad / message Enhanced Features  Helpdesk
Business Advertising Sign-Up (Free!) Search
iSaintJohn Home Forums Home Contact Us Site Rules Terms of Use Privacy Statement

Visit the upgraded front page of iSJ for more info!

Free Saint John Visitor's Guide

Search the web:

Go Back   Saint John Classifieds & Forums > General & Local Discussion > Genealogy & Local History

Old 05-08-2007

Default Topic: st peters catholic girls school

I loved Jackie's Fish & Chips..
actually further to the question about Garvin's Funeral Home..it was first located at the very bottom of Main Street..next door to Aranoff's Second Hand Store..they may have moved when they started building the viaduct.

I believe the Funeral Home you mentioned in this location was O'Neil Funeral Home. My Cousin's funeral was held from there many years ago.
Garvin's was up the street a bit farther.
Old 05-08-2007
Long-Time Member (500+ posts)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HitByABus View Post
Yes Garvins Funeral Home was on Main Street just across from Jackies Fish and Chips......I remember Mrs Garvin she ran the funeral home and she was an elegant loooking woman but they used to have a name for her something like the Lady in Black or the Lady Embalm...I remember that used to give me the Willies. I think I was in there once to visit a Mr. McIntyre that passed away as his daughters went to school with us. I think he was a Manager of the Dominion Store where the Fairview Plaza is now. He had like 5 very pretty girls and the mother was very pretty too. We used to skate at the old rink called the Foreum before the Beaverbrook
Rink was built. And I remember something about Lord Beaverbook was there when they opened the rink and all the schools got to go and we had no school that day. I also remember Father Keogh from St. Peters Church he was a mean bugger....lol. He made me say 10 extra Hail Marys for laughing in church with my cousin Beverly while waiting for confession. How did i know that he was peeking out of the purple velvet crapes....lol OMG I am sitting laughing thinking back.....What Fun!!!

Yep..you've got a great memory..
the man you are talking about was Paul McIntyre..his wife's name was Pat..
do you remember when the Forum burned?
and I was there too when we got school off to see Lord Beaverbrook offically open the rink.

and yes Fr. Keogh was one scary bugger wasn't he?
Old 05-08-2007
Member (< 100 posts)

mra`s

Yes thats the name.thanks.My gran worked there for years as a cashier.She told me the story of the murdered child.If i remember correctly,she was killed by an employee stock boy.terrible thing.
Old 05-09-2007
Member (100 to 500 posts)

Red face Topic: st peters catholic girls school

Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystalbeach View Post
Yep..you've got a great memory..
the man you are talking about was Paul McIntyre..his wife's name was Pat..
do you remember when the Forum burned?
and I was there too when we got school off to see Lord Beaverbrook offically open the rink.

and yes Fr. Keogh was one scary bugger wasn't he?
Yes I remember when the forum burned.......Geee....maybe we know each other....I used to hang around Tammy Marks Sis Kiervin Beverly Lockhart Paula Marie McIntyre.......A Lot of Great Memories.....Hit
Old 05-09-2007

Mra's

Quote:
That was MRA's (Manchester, Robertson, Allison)
and yes there was a child murdered there..
and the restaurant that was Mechanic's Kitchen is still there..it's called AJ's now I think ..same food etc but the car seats and car decorations are not there any more.
Omg I have a funny story about MRA'S.......I used to go there as a kid and do you remember the little woman that ran the elevators.....lol
Well years later we started trailering at Wallys in the Narrows and we are sitting there talking about the old days and this lady said Oh I worked at MRA'S.......and I said omg you were the little lady that always wore a skirt and jacket that ran the elevators......She said yes that was her .......My first clue was that she is like 4 foot 1in.....I asked her if she had a hard time reaching the buttons....lol I think I may have had a few that night but it fun.......Everyone laughed and had a great time.
Old 05-09-2007

I grew up at the foot of Portland Street..my first memories are of the vats next door to us that belonged to McCready's Pickle Factory...
I remember climbing the stairs to the vats..well I won't tell you the rest..and I can recall in the early fall when they started making chow chow and they would round up any available body to help make the pickles...
Old 05-10-2007
Member (< 100 posts)

How Long ago

I wonder why it is there is never a mention of Garvins funeral home lol Is there some terrible thing about it . And you have definatly peeked my interest on the mra story anything you can remember my grandparents shopped there until it closed and my mom worked there for a while but they never told me anything lol.
Old 05-10-2007

Nope there isn't anything bad about Garvin's ..the people who ran it were very nice..(in my day their name wasn't Garvin but I can't recall what it was)
they had a daughter who was very attractive..she only had one hand..
Old 05-10-2007

Garvins

Quote:
Nope there isn't anything bad about Garvin's ..the people who ran it were very nice..(in my day their name wasn't Garvin but I can't recall what it was)
they had a daughter who was very attractive..she only had one hand..
Yes I remember the daughter as well she was very tall and very attractive and she had one hand and the other was kind of little maybe only to the elbow. Mrs Garvin was also very attractive for an ole gal...lol. I dont know why but I am thinking that the Garvin Daughter is married to John Doyle from Brennans. Don't ask me why I think that but that is what I am thinking. No there was nothing bad about Garvins just that us at that age it was kind of creepy knowing that there were dead bodies on display in that house.....Just being kids I guess. You know I cant believe no one mentioned the Train Station which was an awesome place. Just sort of reminded me of the old movies from years ago in all their glory.
Old 05-11-2007
Member (< 100 posts)

Main Street and Areas

great to see all of the posts for this area and St. Peters school, etc. While I lived in the Rifle Range, I have collected hundreds of photos of the Old North End.
Old 05-13-2007
New Member (< 10 posts)

Sister Theresa

I had Sister Theresa in Grade One too. In fact my mother and my two younger sisters also had her as a teacher. I believe she taught Grade One at St. Peter's for at least 40 years.
Old 05-14-2007

Old Train Station

I remember the old train station. I was very young at the time but when you walked in it it reminds one of the old movies of long ago. Very beautiful. Does anyone remember any Campbell's from the rifle range? I have a picture of myself and my mother back in the 50's with me walking along the rock wall in front of st. peters church. I also got my first credit card from MRA's when I was in high school. First mistake of my life hahahha
Old 06-26-2007
New Member (< 10 posts)

Smile Topic: st peters catholic girls school

St Peters & the old North end

My father & his siblings grew up on Chesley Drive and went to St. Peters School. They were Burke's. The boys all became bakers. Their father (Alexander) was killed at the port in the CPR yard in west Saint John, a container fell on him and he died from complications a few days later. My dad almost drowned off the wharf one day. They had cousins in the area too. One boy drowned while at a lake somewhere in NB. I would be interested in hearing from anyone who may remember them.

I grew up in the north end as well.We lived on Durham & Metcalf. I went to Alexandra School & for a short while Lorne. I have always considered north home although I have not lived there for many years.

These are some of the things I remember about the North end:

Welsford's Drug store ( Had the soda fountain and the best ice cream I ever tasted)
The Forum ( the best place for sliding in winter)
Jackies Fish & Chips - best take out fish & chips
Climbing on the rocks of Fort Howe
School yard games at Alexandra School
Corner store in Indiantown near the stairs ( can't remember the name)
Long summer days at the Shams
Soccer baseball in the Main Street Baptist Church yard
Fireworks in the summer watched from lawn chairs lined across Metcalf Street
Olivers Grocery Store (corner of Durham & Metcalf)
Girl Guides at St Lukes Church
Sliding on Metcalf hill after a snowstorm
Baseball games in St Peter's ball park in the summer

Great memories.
Old 06-26-2007
Member (< 100 posts)

Oliver's Grocery

My Mom and Dad
Old 06-26-2007
Member (< 100 posts)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HitByABus View Post
Yes I remember when the forum burned.......Geee....maybe we know each other....I used to hang around Tammy Marks Sis Kiervin Beverly Lockhart Paula Marie McIntyre.......A Lot of Great Memories.....Hit
I know who Tammy is, hung around Sis but cannot recall the other names you mention.
Old 06-27-2007

North End

wow, it was fun reading all these posts about the north end. I had an uncle on Murray St - Thorne, a painter. I remember parts of the old cemetery on Magazine Street. Many of the places and businesses which are mentioned are in a book at the library called Saint John's North End, by Wright. The book is almost impossible to find now even on ebay.
Old 07-03-2007

St Peters girls School

My dad was a house painter for Gordon Hughes when we lived on Murry St.
Old 07-05-2007
Member (< 100 posts)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantasy View Post
I remember a restaurant in the west side,it was in a plaza beside the big baptist church.All the seats were taken from cars.Really neat.But can`t remember the name of the place,or if its still around.
Would that place have been Reid's Diner where Tim Horton/Wendys is at Simm's Corner????
Old 07-05-2007
Member (< 100 posts)

Quote:
Originally Posted by major View Post
My dad was a house painter for Gordon Hughes when we lived on Murry St.
Hey I am a Murray Street brat. We lived two houses up from the store there then in mid 60's moved right next door into the old Allan house until all the houses were expropriated for the bridge. Anyone remember Hardings? The Kingston's had the big house on the top end of the street by the vacant lot. Our mayor is married to one of the girls.
Old 07-06-2007

St. Peter's Etc

Great memories all!!
Tammy Marks was my first cousin...she died a few years ago..