Drywalling and plastering Home & Garden

i SJ: Saint John, New Brunswick  Shopping, Classifieds, Jobs, Real Estate & Rentals, Discussion, Deals, Flyers, + more!

Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online!
Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online! See all recent posts Post a new ad / message Enhanced Features  Helpdesk
Business Advertising Sign-Up (Free!) Search
iSaintJohn Home Forums Home Contact Us Site Rules Terms of Use Privacy Statement

Visit the upgraded front page of iSJ for more info!

Free Saint John Visitor's Guide

Search the web:

Go Back   Saint John Classifieds & Forums > Other Discussion > Home & Garden

Old 07-21-2009
Long-Time Member (500+ posts)

Default Topic: Drywalling and plastering

Drywalling and plastering

OMG, to anyone out there who does this for a living, I think you need to recieve a freaking medal. What a horrid job.

I got all of my sheets of drywall finished putting up on Saturday. Nightmre!!!I am bruised head to toe from dropping it and it landing full weight on my arms or legs or worse my feet. I am black and blue.

I started plastering on Sunday thinking it was going to be easy. I had envisioned somethin akin to frosting a cake this plastering. HA HA was I wrong. Frosting a cake,,,NOT. Not much problems with simple hole filling but trying to fix the enlarged socket holes and enlarged light switch holes and the worse was trying to cover up those metal corner protector things.

I can't even imagine waking up each morning and thinking I had to to that kind of work all day for a living. I'd kill myself.

I did this all by myself though. I may have been a bit easier if there had beem 2 of us. It was still haed work.

Oh yeah, I needed to ask, (having never done this before) are you supposed to completely cover and hide those corner edge piecies?
Old 07-21-2009
Member (100 to 500 posts)

Quote:
Originally Posted by inuit View Post
Oh yeah, I needed to ask, (having never done this before) are you supposed to completely cover and hide those corner edge piecies?

You mean the corner bead? yes.
Old 07-21-2009

Is that what they are called? Metal edge thing with holes in them. Do you need to cover them with plaster so you can't see them?
Old 07-21-2009
**Bronze-Level** Paid Account

Quote:
Is that what they are called? Metal edge thing with holes in them. Do you need to cover them with plaster so you can't see them?

Yes inuit, you need to cover them.
Old 07-21-2009

I am starting the sanding process tomorrow. With all of that plaster, I'll be sanding for a month. I never knew till now what a huge job drywalling and plastering was. Gotta get me a man with strong arms and knows how to drive a nail. LOL
Old 07-21-2009

I went down and put thw sandpaper on the sander and thought I'd give it a try. OMG, there must be a easier way. I am using 100 grit sandpaper, It looks like a screen type. I sanded for 10 minutes and did a spot about the size of my hand. Is there another kind of sandpaper or way to sand it? HELP!
Old 07-21-2009
*Basic-Level* Paid Account

did you glue the corner bead on first? and it should not be that hard to sand, you must have put to much on. From what i understand you have to use fine sandpaper or it will look like crap, with lines all through it after you paint it. good luck it is a crappy job that you have to enjoy doing and be good at it to do it as a living. Most people dont hang the drywall and crackfill, they do one or the other.
Old 07-21-2009

No, I didn't know you had to glue it. I nailed it with 1 inch nails in the small holes. I do have some fine sandpaper. I was worried it would clog the paper up too much. I am using 100 grit for the seams, nailholes and around the sockets. I am using an electric sande. Is that alright or should I be using something else.
Thanks for answering me. This is the first time I have ever worked with drywall and plaster. First and last. LOL
Old 07-22-2009

Give me 10 minutes, I can sand the whole wall by hand holding sand paper. I wish you didn't sand the metal corner bead.

Glue (nail is ok if you did it already) the bead, put the compound on it, and all seams; you only sand the dried compound, nothing else, nowhere else. Don't use sander. Don't sand the metal corner bead.

Dry wall tapping is an easy job, one of the easiest jobs for house reno. It just takes more time: fill the seams, wait for a few hours without doing anything; sand; fill, again wait without doing anything; again fill...... prime, wait to dry; paint, wait to dry......

Last edited by liuxinbing; 07-22-2009 at 07:47 AM..
Old 07-22-2009

I haven't sanded the bead yet. I plan to do that Friday. I am putting it off because it seems to be a daunting job. I don't think I'll ever get it finished. I oly taped where I made big wide seams and around where I made big holes aroung the light switches and plug ins. Everywhere else I just used plaster alone. I put lots of [plaster on the edge beads. My neighbour told me to use a sponge sandpaper and to wet it to make the job easier. Oh my, I ever get this finished, I will be surprised. Thought it would be easier than this. UUUGGG
Old 07-22-2009

Oh dear, have you tried to go to the Mike Holmes site? They have some neat tips and tricks on there. ( in the discussion ). Good luck finishing it! It's hard work!
Old 07-22-2009

No Donteat, I didn't even know Mike Holmes had a site. I will check it out though. Thank you very much for the info.
Old 07-22-2009

Quote:
My neighbour told me to use a sponge sandpaper and to wet it to make the job easier.
Your neighbour is a nice man. Yes such a sponge sandblock is chea[ just 3 bucks also but it really does the job. It usually has coarse, mid and fine sand surfaces in one block. Never ever use a sander.
Old 07-22-2009

Thank you liuxinbing, your input is indeed appeciated as is all who have replied to me. This is something so new to me.

You know how you picture how to do something in your head and when you go to do it, it is completely different. That describes this drywalling plastering and sanding experience for me. Every stage has been really hard.

I will try the sponge sander and I discovered that where I had used the power sander on a small spoy yesterday, I took off some of the wall as well so I won't be using that again. Live and learn I guess.
Old 07-24-2009

God forbid when it comes time for cleanup.....do not use you're vaccum to suck up the dust either.....no faster way to kill your vaccum than drywall dust. Sucky as it is (and puts much dust back into the air but sweep gently up what you can and clean up the rest with a bucket of water and rag.
Old 07-24-2009

I was thinking about using a wet sponge sandsponge so I won't have so much dust to clean up. It has been ready to sand since Tuesday but I have been procrastinating since then. Every day I seem to find something more important to do. No more. I must knuckle down and do it. UUUGGG!!!! I don't wanna!!!LOL

PS Do you think if I put it off long enough, the sanding fairies will come and do it? LOL
Old 07-24-2009

I sanded for the last 4 hours and I got the kit, liv and entrance done. I couldn't use the wet sponge because it kept clogging up so I resorted to a dry sponge sander and hand held screen like sander. The electric sander looked tempting but I managed to resist.

Oh my lord the fine talcum like powder on the floors in different thibkness' of piles. I can just imagine sweeping that. Such fine powder. I shudder to think that has to be removed from the floors. UUUGGG
Old 07-24-2009

Instead of the wet sponge sander have you tried a simple bucket of water and a cheap facecloth that has texture to it. I've done this on small spots before and it works good. You can just keep dampening the cloth and rinsing it out.
Old 07-24-2009

That's an idea. I still have to do the hallway, bathroom and the bedrooms. I'm planning to attack that tomorrow. I will bring down a couple of old facecloths and have a go at it. I'll try anything once. Thanks Mrs.B

I wonder if those gold coloured scrubber type washcloths would work? I can't remember where I've seen them but I do recall seeing them somewhere. Do you know the ones I mean?
Old 07-25-2009

another idea is try using "dust free" compound. It says it's a new formula, when you sand it, the dust drops directly to the floor without flying in the air. And of course it's about 2 times expensive than the regular compound.