Fleas and mice in my workplace! What do we do? Jobs & Education

i SJ: Saint John, New Brunswick  Shopping, Classifieds, Jobs, Real Estate & Rentals, Discussion, Deals, Flyers, + more!

Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online!
Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online! See all recent posts Post a new ad / message Enhanced Features  Helpdesk
Business Advertising Sign-Up (Free!) Search
iSaintJohn Home Forums Home Contact Us Site Rules Terms of Use Privacy Statement

Visit the upgraded front page of iSJ for more info!

Free Saint John Visitor's Guide

Search the web:

Go Back   Saint John Classifieds & Forums > Other Discussion > Jobs & Education

Old 10-24-2007
Long-Time Member (500+ posts)

Default Topic: Fleas and mice in my workplace! What do we do?

Fleas and mice in my workplace! What do we do?

Ok, so now I have your attention, I hope.
Me and my co workers are so disgruntled with our work place right now...we get bit by fleas all day long, and have seen mice here as well. I do not work somewheres small, we are quite large of a corporation.
The carpet here is also nasty. There are stains everywhere, and there is bits of food dug into the carpet. And speaking with people who have been here since it opened, the carpet has never been shampooed or even vacuumed to the best of anyone's knowledge.
We are lost, seriously we have no idea where to go or who to complain to about this. We have cats, dogs, kids, and everything else at home and are to the point where we pretty much strip down nude outside our doors and shower immediately, since we all know how much it can cost to de-flea your house and pets...
If anyone has any idea where we can go for this, please we beg you to tell us, because as far as we are concerned this is totally unsafe and unexcusable.

thank you guys...I hope you can pull through for us like you always do!
Old 10-24-2007

I would call the labour board.
Old 10-24-2007

does anyone know that number or how I can find it? I tried an internet search, but I didn't get anything...
Old 10-24-2007

I would speak to my supervisor, advising these conditions are not acceptable. Depending on who owns the building the problem could be easily solved. I take it you are not a unionized work place.
Old 10-24-2007

yeah....call center, so talking to my boss will do nothing. When we first saw the mice, someone screamed because i think it ran right beside her, and all they did was send out emails saying to make sure there was no food around...and everytime we see more mice, they just tell us to be quiet...so yeah...I don't think talking to them will do anything
Old 10-24-2007
Member (100 to 500 posts)

You need to call the Workplace Health, Safety and Compensation Commission 632-2200. Here's their website: http://www.whscc.nb.ca/index.asp

They administer the Occupational Health and Safety Act (which you can find at: http://www.gnb.ca/acts/acts/o-00-2.htm ).

Good luck
Old 10-24-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadia.m. View Post
You need to call the Workplace Health, Safety and Compensation Commission 632-2200. Here's their website: http://www.whscc.nb.ca/index.asp

They administer the Occupational Health and Safety Act (which you can find at: http://www.gnb.ca/acts/acts/o-00-2.htm ).

Good luck
My advice, and this is only my opinion, if you call the above #'s do not give your name!!! The above department will probably be able to help you with the flea and rodent problem, however your employer may not be too happy with the employee that "ratted them out!" (pardon the pun, I couldn't resist!) Good luck and keep us posted!!!
Old 10-24-2007

thanks, i bet they are closed, but i am for sure calling first thing in the morning...
Old 10-24-2007

lol thanks, yeah i won't give them my name...i have been at my job long enough that they have to give a reason for dismissal, but being a call center, I bet they have a pre-made list already for crap like this
Old 10-25-2007

i think a big issue for many stores/businesses is that with all the construction going around the city, they are getting dispaced and are looking for a new place to live..
I would take a mouse over hornets anyday....(yes we have hornets under the front of the hosue..ack)
Old 10-25-2007
Member (100 to 500 posts)

Labour board @ (506) 643-7535
Old 10-25-2007

thanks...and I mean I can deal with mice and even rats, I have both 3 pet mice and 3 pet rats at home (among others) but it is the fleas....and I mean the carpet here is so dirty, I wouldn't be suprised what else is living here. And if anyone else here works at Sitel (the old client logic) you also know how dirty it is here