If you feel the need to use the phone at 2am General: Discussion

i SJ: Saint John, New Brunswick  Shopping, Classifieds, Jobs, Real Estate & Rentals, Discussion, Deals, Flyers, + more!

Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online!
Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online! See all recent posts Post a new ad / message Enhanced Features  Helpdesk
Business Advertising Sign-Up (Free!) Search
iSaintJohn Home Forums Home Contact Us Site Rules Terms of Use Privacy Statement

Visit the upgraded front page of iSJ for more info!

Free Saint John Visitor's Guide

Search the web:

Go Back   Saint John Classifieds & Forums > General & Local Discussion > General: Discussion

Old 08-09-2008

Default Topic: If you feel the need to use the phone at 2am

If you feel the need to use the phone at 2am

at least get the freaking number right! Twice last night some drunken idiot called after 2am looking for a woman named Sue.
Now, in our world, we have older relatives etc, and a call at night can put the fear into you...so next time you decide to drink and start calling, CHECK THE FREAKING NUMBER before dialing!
Old 08-09-2008
Member (100 to 500 posts)

Agreed!! I've had the police station call at 4am with a wrong number!! When you see Pnb on your caller display at 4am, wrong number or not, there's no sleeping for you that night!
Old 08-09-2008

You are so right! That is terrifying...you can not gert back to sleep..and your heart is just starting to settle down and the bloody phone rings again! If it wasn`t a private number I would have rang them back and given them crap!! not like a drunken fool would have cared to begin with!
That is one issue I have since switching to Rogers..we get a lot of those. (most in the day)
Old 08-09-2008
**Silver-Level** Paid Account

I have been getting calls for a Mark Breau on my new (Rogers)cell phone that work provided for me. Random businesses, and what seemed like collections, but yesterday it WAS someone from Rogers calling. Um, don't they know their own phones and who they are registered to? I was quite sharp with them yesterday and told them this was a hotel, not a private line (and it is registered that way too, Rogers knows the cell phone is a business phone).
Old 08-09-2008
Long-Time Member (500+ posts)

I had the same person call me 5-6 times one night between 2 and 4, and I couldn't turn my ringer off, because the only alarm I had to wake up for 6 was on my phone. Not cool.
Old 08-09-2008

I do not answer my phone after 10pm. my family know that too. if its an emergency they call right back. my mom turns her ringer off at 10 pm too.
Old 08-09-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppyluv View Post
If it wasn`t a private number I would have rang them back and given them crap!! (most in the day)

FYI if you press *69 even if its a private number (if you have rogers) it wont give you the number but if you press 1 it will connect you to the number. just a little thing i found out when people were calling my house and hanging up!
Old 08-10-2008

This one beats all, my number is one number away from a very popular Saint John restaurant. The first few weeks after they opened I was getting calls like you wouldn't believe. Then one Saturday night around 2 am the phone rang, scared the heck out of me as I too have older relatives. It was one of the employees, I guess he went to put out the trash locked himself out and was now using his cell phone to call what he thought was the restaurant. He got an earful as well as a lesson on the alphabet.

I still get the occasional call and this started about 4 years ago. I did call the restaurant and was told I should change my number...ah don't think so. So they offered me a free meal, which I never did bother getting. This restaurant doesn't advertise their whole 7 digit number just the first 2 and the first name of the restaurant.
Wanna guess??
Old 08-10-2008

lol I've gotten quite a few calls for "maritime beauty" i'm not sure what that is but when people call and say is this maritime beauty? I always say I AM a maritime beauty, but I think you have the wrong number
Old 08-10-2008

I have a good one. I got a call around 2 am one time, the girl asked for me. When I said "speaking", she said "hi mom". I said I think you have the wrong number. She said my first name, I said "yes", she said my last name (maiden, I was single at the time), I said "yes". She said has a daughter named so-and-so and a daughter named such-and-such. I said "sorry, you definitly have the wrong number"
Old 08-11-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misty589 View Post
lol I've gotten quite a few calls for "maritime beauty" i'm not sure what that is but when people call and say is this maritime beauty? I always say I AM a maritime beauty, but I think you have the wrong number
maritime beauty is the supplies company for hair dressers.. They only sell to licensed stylists and salons
Old 08-12-2008

I think she knew that..she was being funny.
Old 08-12-2008

ok... just figured I would answer just incase she didn't know what it is.. lol..
Old 08-12-2008

We were consistently getting called late at night by the same person. It was a wrong number of course and it would happen about once a week. Quite irritating as we were trying to get to sleep or we were asleep whenever they called.

Each time it happened we got progressivly less civil and less patient with them.

Finally we decided enough was enough. (It had happened about 8 times now..same person!!)

Since they called and woke us up late at night (we have to get up early for work) we decided to call them at 6am and wake them up. Asked them ' not much fun getting woke up is it?'

We've never gotten a call from them again and its been over a year now.
Old 08-12-2008

My family would get a few calls per week from some young kid looking for another kid named "Morgan".

I never got short with them, I just said, "No you have the wrong number" and hung up straight away. No point in getting angry and at least it was during daylight hours.

The only time I've had people calling late at night (12 MIDNIGHT - 4 AM) was someone's girlfriend. Let me tell you, I let them know how I felt and that I was going to call the cops. I came close to calling the cops about 3 times, but I never did.

The only reason to call past 10:30 is if the recipient is expecting it or there is an emergency.

These days, many households have more than 1 phone. I think this place has... 6 phones all on the same line, plus two cell phones of different numbers. So 8 ways to play! LOL! It would be quite a job to turn all those ringers off every night.

The telephone company(ies) won't block numbers for you. The only way to do that is to have the police involved.
Old 08-13-2008
**Silver-Level** Paid Account

What do you think is a reasonable time to call in the morning for non-emergency when you don't know the other person's schedule? Someone from my work called me today at 8:04 am (my day off) with a question that could have waited or even been sent by email. I was quite mad because on my first day off in the last 10, I had planned on sleeping til I woke up. I can't turn my phone off because they do need to reach me for emergencies, but really, a question about a day off in SEPTEMBER is not urgent on August 12.
Old 08-14-2008

for a co worker or acquaintance, I wouldn't call before 10. For my friends that I know are up with their kids etc. I call after 9.
Old 08-14-2008

just pm'd u puppyluv
Old 08-23-2008

i hate getting "wrong number" calls in the morning.....i do recall issues with rogers where i had just gotten my new cell phone and for the first 3 weeks at 6:30ish in the evening i would get a call someone looking for Mike so one day being pregnant and cranky i freaked out at the them gave them a peice of my mind and let them know i was annoyed with the everyday phone call....i haven't heard back from them now with my house phone through rogers as well i get a call at least once a week looking for gail i'm not there half the time when they call but you would think listening to the voice mail message which states our names would give the hint that there is no gail there when i was with alliant i had no problems even after i transfered the number over but now that i have one of their numbers grrrr....

There was once when i went to call the bank Bayveiw tella-banking the number isn't a 1-866,800,888 i realised after i dialed the number it was the wrong number and the person called back and yelled at me over the voicemail at least i realised it and hung up before it rang on my end and it was only 5:30ish in the evening