Justify this! Local Topics

i SJ: Saint John, New Brunswick  Shopping, Classifieds, Jobs, Real Estate & Rentals, Discussion, Deals, Flyers, + more!

Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online!
Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online! See all recent posts Post a new ad / message Enhanced Features  Helpdesk
Business Advertising Sign-Up (Free!) Search
iSaintJohn Home Forums Home Contact Us Site Rules Terms of Use Privacy Statement

Visit the upgraded front page of iSJ for more info!

Free Saint John Visitor's Guide

Search the web:

Go Back   Saint John Classifieds & Forums > General & Local Discussion > Local Topics

Old 08-08-2008
Long-Time Member (500+ posts)

Default Topic: Justify this!

Justify this!

Something dawned on me today as I stood outside smoking a cancer stick today....

Canada Post. The tax payers pay for the gas in their vehicles, correct?

Well then why are they driving from driveway to driveway wasting gas at almost 1.28/L? Then people wonder why they say our province is a bunch of Homer Simpsons!! and why we have no money for anything here. Here's an idea STOP driving, WALK and use the money for our schools!!! ANYTHING but stop wasting it on lazy people who don't want to do things the way it should be done!!

Anyways I would like for someone to justify all the dollars they are spending on gas for the postmenwomen to drive door to door!! I would really like to hear what excuse they come up with!! lol

There are about 4 people I can tell you right in my area who drive door to door. Not one walks around here and that is just a very small neighbourhood. My old postman did it, the lady and another man who filled in for him did it, and the new guy we have does it....and I am sure they are nopt the only ones!!!

I'll take one of those jobs and I'll walk, I'll take the pay check too!!! :P!! "As Joanne and Hal say on Body Break...LOL....."Keep fit and have fun" :P!!
Old 08-08-2008
Member (100 to 500 posts)

well........ I'm pretty sure the postman doesn't decide if they are going to walk or drive. They are either on a walking route or a motor route.
I'm sure some of the routes should be re-assesed and should be walked instead of driven, but I wouldn't blame it on the "Homer Simpson" postmen.

IIRC I read an article about rural routes, and those that drove their own cars on those routes payed for their own gas.
Old 08-08-2008

Yes.. but my bf used to work for the po.. and even when u have a vehicle.. u can stop at one end.. and walk the route.. they r lazy
Old 08-08-2008

Well, I know that the postal workers in rothesay and quispamsis surrounding area have to bid on their routes and the gas is paid by them not the tax payers for example, if you bid that you will do a route for 30,000 dollars a year and you get it, it is up to you to put your gas in your car. As for the little white trucks that go around SJ I don't know but the ones who have RR routes need to factor in gas when bidding. If gas goes up it is your tough luck. Postal workers are actually trying to do something about this right now, but I have not been following it so I have no idea how they made out.
Old 08-08-2008

I think the OP is talking about the Canada Post trucks. I see the same thing. Door to door, driveway to driveway. All in the little trucks.

Get some fresh air and walk.
Old 08-09-2008

I'll drink to that kaj27!! :P

NO!! Rural routes I TOTALLY understand them driving because houses are fewer are further apart but when you are in a neighbourhood with 100 houses that are only seperated by driveways then there is no excuse for driving from driveway to driveway in thier lil canada post trucks, that is LAZY!!! and a waste of our tax payers money which could be put to better use in many different areas. I am not blaming the "postmen" per say I am sure they don't make the rules but who ever is behind it should be tighting the strings and saying sorry guys but you need to learn to walk where houses are close together!!

No they probably do not decide what route the get or how they will get them done, BUT when you have a bunch of houses in a line closely nit, you need to get your you know what off that seat and walk!!!! NOT DRIVE driveway to driveway that's BULL! And it shouldn't take your boss telling you to do this for you to do it really but....What I meant when I said they say we are all a bunch of homer simpsons down here.....maybe we wouldn't have that stigma if people weren't so lazy, postmen with there lil trucks or the neighbour who won't walk anywhere only drives...whoever or whatever situtation I wasn't saying just the postmen are homer simpsons...but they sure aren't helping fight the "we are lazy down here" stigma nor are the fighting for a greener environment nor are they fighting for an active lifestyle, nor are they fighting to keep costs down...so the post office needs to get with the times and start coming up with better methods of different types of conservation!

Besides wasting less money... it would cut down on the pollution we are sending up into the air as well if we all slowed down and started becoming more active. They talk about drive throughs and such well there are other areas that could be looked into and cut back on to help with the fight against that.....

Seeing as we are being killed slowly by irving and his wonderful pollution right here in our own town, we gotta start finiding greener ways of doing things to help slow the process!!

Last edited by Pumpkin; 08-09-2008 at 11:55 AM..
Old 08-09-2008

Lightbulb Topic: Justify this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCfan View Post
Big deal I would drive from door to door if I could it would be fun. Give up your smokes and give the money the the gov so they can buy more gas. It would make you more healthy.
More carbon monoxide would be so awesome! lets all do that! -twitch- Sometimes I wonder.
Old 08-10-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCfan View Post
Big deal I would drive from door to door if I could it would be fun. Give up your smokes and give the money the the gov so they can buy more gas. It would make you more healthy.
Are you not already giving your money to the gov't when you buy cigarettes??
Old 08-10-2008

The Mail

I know that in some areas mail carriers do walk a route so I wonder if its because in some areas obviously yours it has been designated as unsafe to the carrier so they have the vehicle as a safe haven.......The post office may view it as a cost saving measure rather then pay a carrier to sit at home for weeks or months or pay for trauma councilling for months or years.......If that’s the case then its not the post offices fault or the mail carriers its the fault of one of your neighbor’s for letting there dog run loose and biting a carrier...

Bill
Old 08-10-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
I know that in some areas mail carriers do walk a route so I wonder if its because in some areas obviously yours it has been designated as unsafe to the carrier so they have the vehicle as a safe haven.......The post office may view it as a cost saving measure rather then pay a carrier to sit at home for weeks or months or pay for trauma councilling for months or years.......If that’s the case then its not the post offices fault or the mail carriers its the fault of one of your neighbor’s for letting there dog run loose and biting a carrier...

Bill

No this is not the case.

Even if i wasnt in the position to know first hand.. My neighbourhood is VERY safe... esp for mail carriers.. there is no need for my postman to drive from door to door.. its disgraceful.

I used to have a mail carrier woman. She was great! RAN her route. Always upbeat and early.. and got her exercise while she was at it.
i miss her
Old 08-10-2008

I know in the park(westmorland) they park the truck and walk all around, so I guess it depends on the person or the area.
Old 08-10-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damage82 View Post
I know in the park(westmorland) they park the truck and walk all around, so I guess it depends on the person or the area.

O for sure!

Depends on who is lazy and who isint.

Its just too bad that there isint some sort of km restriction on these vehicles. The logical thing to do nowadays with pollution and such, would be to fig out how many kms to get to a specific route and back.. with a 5 kms allowence on top.. That would get them walking.
Old 08-11-2008

Yes IT MUST depend on the person who does the route. There is no unsafe place here in my neighbourhood. ALL dogs except 2 (another story I could rant about and won't) are chained up while out or on leashes during their walks. There are no dangerous driveways...nothing so there is no excuse for that at all around here. I think like F.Chief said, it all depends on the carrier themself. Some will walk and some will drive.
Old 08-11-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misty589 View Post
well........ I'm pretty sure the postman doesn't decide if they are going to walk or drive. They are either on a walking route or a motor route.
I'm sure some of the routes should be re-assesed and should be walked instead of driven, but I wouldn't blame it on the "Homer Simpson" postmen.

IIRC I read an article about rural routes, and those that drove their own cars on those routes payed for their own gas.
I think your right. I live in the Morland park. We have had at least 10 different mail people in the last 6 months and they ALL walked the route. With that many different people you would think one of them would be "Lazy".
Old 08-11-2008

Has no considered if they have one or two parcels to deliver while en route. Pretty hard to carry those along with the mail.
Old 08-11-2008

A couple months ago ppl were complaining about getting their mail later than normal.. now you WANT them to take longer? Cuz that's what would happen if they had to walk their routes!

Back in the old days mail carriers walked routes because they could get all the mail delivered in a timely manner/ ppl didn't expect it to reach the destination a day or two after they mailed it. Now ppl expect their stuff to reach the recipient because "they pay for a service with their hard earned money and they expect it done right!"

If a mail carrier walked an entire route it would take forever. Or even if they parked it and walked (with all the mail none the less) and delivered it all, they'd have to take more time to get back to the truck. And as Mrs Beasley said, especially this day and age with shopping online and more than just letters being delivered by mail.

Maybe someday when gas gets really high they will Stop delivering mail altogether.. then we would have to get in our cars, or walk depending on how far the place would be, to pick up our own mail. Then there would be even more people complaining about that.

It's not the mail carriers fault gas has gone up, it's not our's either, but we are still getting a service. But like i said, maybe one day we don't have that service, and ppl can say... remember back when we got our mail delivered? Those were the days...
Old 08-12-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachnut View Post
A couple months ago ppl were complaining about getting their mail later than normal.. now you WANT them to take longer? Cuz that's what would happen if they had to walk their routes!

Back in the old days mail carriers walked routes because they could get all the mail delivered in a timely manner/ ppl didn't expect it to reach the destination a day or two after they mailed it. Now ppl expect their stuff to reach the recipient because "they pay for a service with their hard earned money and they expect it done right!"

If a mail carrier walked an entire route it would take forever. Or even if they parked it and walked (with all the mail none the less) and delivered it all, they'd have to take more time to get back to the truck. And as Mrs Beasley said, especially this day and age with shopping online and more than just letters being delivered by mail.

Maybe someday when gas gets really high they will Stop delivering mail altogether.. then we would have to get in our cars, or walk depending on how far the place would be, to pick up our own mail. Then there would be even more people complaining about that.

It's not the mail carriers fault gas has gone up, it's not our's either, but we are still getting a service. But like i said, maybe one day we don't have that service, and ppl can say... remember back when we got our mail delivered? Those were the days...
Well said!
Old 08-14-2008

Put it to Rest

On one of my frequent trips outside yesterday at work I happen to run into a mail carrier so I asked........

He said for the most part it was up to the carrier whether he wanted to walk or drive, it just came down to personal choice.

From the horses mouth
Bill
Old 08-14-2008
**Silver-Level** Paid Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachnut View Post

You know what? I would have no issue with going to the end of my street on my way somewhere else to collect my mail, as long as the mailbox was big enough for the frequent book and cd-sized packages I get (i.e. as big as a standard home mailbox, not one of those pigeonholes that you can rent that only basically hold envelopes). It's good enough for people in rural areas, its good enough for me.
Old 08-14-2008

I know this is a thread about postal workers not walking... but I was wondering if anyone might know about postal workers coming 2- 3 times a day. I'm not complaining, just curious if it's normal. I will get mail in the mornings, and then sometimes again later that day, and after seeing both people delivering they are in fact postal employees.