Chesley Drive... Local Topics

i SJ: Saint John, New Brunswick  Shopping, Classifieds, Jobs, Real Estate & Rentals, Discussion, Deals, Flyers, + more!

Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online!
Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online! See all recent posts Post a new ad / message Enhanced Features  Helpdesk
Business Advertising Sign-Up (Free!) Search
iSaintJohn Home Forums Home Contact Us Site Rules Terms of Use Privacy Statement

Visit the upgraded front page of iSJ for more info!

Free Saint John Visitor's Guide

Search the web:

Go Back   Saint John Classifieds & Forums > General & Local Discussion > Local Topics

Old 09-29-2010
Long-Time Member (500+ posts)

Default Topic: Chesley Drive...

Chesley Drive...

I don't know how other drivers feel about this but it's really starting to tick me off.

Everyday I head west on Chesley Drive and like most other people I stay in the left lane and wait.

I see a lot of people zoom by on the right hand lane and then cut into the left lane prior to crossing the Reversing Falls Bridge.

I'm really getting tired of people doing this. Everyone else is waiting in traffic.
Old 09-29-2010
Member (100 to 500 posts)

I agree...Especially since they put up signs way down by Bentley street telling vehicles that the right lane is for right turn only. I did go by there a couple of weeks ago and the police were forcing those guys to go right (onto Douglas), but that was just one time.
Old 09-29-2010

I'm really getting annoyed with these people...

I wish the police were at the top of Chesley Drive everyday!

I heard the police were handing out tickets one day.
Old 09-29-2010

I feel your pain! I mean who do these people think they are to think that their time is any more important then the people waiting in line! And then people let them cut in the line! The police should be there handing out tickets to these idiots! I've seen a few close calls there, and i got to tell ya, that if someone tries to cut in front of me.....their gonna have a big problem! I try to stay on bumper of the guy ahead of me, but sometimes you are not paying attention and one of these low lifes will take advantage of that!
Old 09-29-2010

If everyone in line starts calling the police from their cell phones, mabey, just mabey they will do something!
Old 09-29-2010

This drives me nuts too so when Im there I drive a Dodge Ram and will block the other lane so people cant pass,,,immature maybe but I feel better lol!
Old 09-29-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by mybooboo View Post
This drives me nuts too so when Im there I drive a Dodge Ram and will block the other lane so people cant pass,,,immature maybe but I feel better lol!
By doing that, you're also blocking people like me who need to get up onto Douglas Avenue to my house.
Old 09-29-2010

It was nice to see the police at the top of Chesley Drive today

I decided to take Douglas Avenue today and a person on a beat up scooter came up Chesley Drive and turned on Douglas Avenue, even with the police office there, and he decided that it would be a good idea to turn into the driveway of the first house on Douglas Avenue then turn back (behind me) on Douglas heading towards the Reversing Falls Bridge.

He kept looking towards the police officer to make sure he didn't see what he had just done...I was furious!

This beat up scooter was missing both side mirrors and I doubt it was fit to be on the road...
I really wish the police officer had seen what he had done...

I hope the police officer is back tomorrow night and I sure hope he caught some people tonight.

I try not to get too close to the person in front of me but I get close enough not to let anyone coming down the right lane to cut in front of me. It drives me nuts!
Old 09-29-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by stripekv View Post
By doing that, you're also blocking people like me who need to get up onto Douglas Avenue to my house.

Actually I don`t take Chesley Drive, but the same situation exists on the Harbour Bridge. That`s where I do it.
Old 09-30-2010

Not only do they take advantage of people who are not paying attention, but people actually LET them in...on purpose....come on people...lets NOT let them in..I know i don't...no matter if they try to cut right in front of me...i will dent their vehicle, so its their insurance that's gonna pay not to mention the ticket they get.......I will NEVER stop OR let them in.....bottom line.....try me.
Old 09-30-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by mybooboo View Post
Actually I don`t take Chesley Drive, but the same situation exists on the Harbour Bridge. That`s where I do it.
Oh well, if it's the Harbour Bridge all the power to you!! :P.

I saw someone going in the 'slow lane', when all the cars were lined up in the 'passing lane' to get on the bridge and some fool in his sports car goes flying past, I was way back at the Chateau Hotel and when I got up to the bridge the fool was sitting their trying to get in!! No one would let him in!! lol
Old 09-30-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoseToTheGrind View Post
Not only do they take advantage of people who are not paying attention, but people actually LET them in...on purpose....come on people...lets NOT let them in..I know i don't...no matter if they try to cut right in front of me...i will dent their vehicle, so its their insurance that's gonna pay not to mention the ticket they get.......I will NEVER stop OR let them in.....bottom line.....try me.
Well said, that is exactly how I feel about it! The audacity of some people, I just don't get it! Even with the presence of the police, I still seen countless cars cut in line! And then to add insult to injury....they decide to start construction near Sims Corner, making it from two lanes to just one! Where are people's heads? Who thought that this would be a perfect time to have two lanes merge into one while the Harbour bridge is under repair!
Old 09-30-2010
**Silver-Level** Paid Account

I understand some of the time people who don't make the drive every day might be confused. I used to think that it was all just plain rudeness, but the other day I was in a large group of people who were supposed to go to a place on Water St. Once we eliminated those who (a) didn't know WHERE Water St was [and referencing the bottom of King St didn't help most of them either](b) didn't know WHERE the Coast Guard building or the Cruise ship terminal was [to landmark it as being between those two sites] and (c) didn't know that Water St was now two way [for the past oh, 4 years], the number of us who could easily get to the place was pretty darn thin on the ground (3 of us), and these are not newcomers to Saint John. So if any one of them for some reason had to get across the bridge, they would genuinely not have two sweet clues that there was any sort of traffic issues on the bridge (and so would go up the regular lane blithely and innocently wondering what everyone else was stopping for) since apparently they spend the other 29 or 30 of their nights a month reading by candlelight in a cave somewhere east or KV. lol.

Last edited by trinity; 09-30-2010 at 08:40 AM..
Old 09-30-2010

Ignorance is Bliss, but it dosen't take a rocket surgeon to figure it out rather quickly! A line up of, oh I don't know, mabey 600 or so cars not moving, signs posted everywhere, and you say to yourself "hey I'm the only car not stuck in traffic, must be my lucky day"!
Old 09-30-2010

What is going on at Simms Corner.
Seriously the traffic is bad enough, they should really delay any "new" construction work...
I'm really sick of the traffic and the idiot drivers that make my drive to and from work more frustrating.
Old 10-01-2010

I decided to take Douglas Avenue again today and another person in a newer silver Toyota Tacoma (CLR-706) came up Chesley Drive and turned on Douglas Avenue and he decided that it would be a good idea to turn into the driveway of the first house on Douglas Avenue, and oh yeah make it look like he was stopping in the driveway, then turn back on Douglas heading towards the Reversing Falls Bridge.
Old 10-01-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_Man View Post
I decided to take Douglas Avenue again today and another person in a newer silver Toyota Tacoma (CLR-706) came up Chesley Drive and turned on Douglas Avenue and he decided that it would be a good idea to turn into the driveway of the first house on Douglas Avenue, and oh yeah make it look like he was stopping in the driveway, then turn back on Douglas heading towards the Reversing Falls Bridge.
I know, like who in the hell do they think their kidding! But my question is people see them doing this, so why let them out of the yard at all? I am so tired of waiting in line for over an hour while a few others think their above the law and that their time is more important then everyone else in line!
Old 10-02-2010

Send a message via MSN to andrea Send a message via Yahoo to andrea

my sister flys up that road..every time i am in the car i am embarrassed...shes in a silver sports car blasting the tunes,,lookin cute...
and every time a trucker has let her in..mind ya she has the big city driving..and she always lets other people in..but it drives me nuts to be in the car,,i just feel rude..lol
Old 10-02-2010

Andrea, I would not let your sister in front of me.
Old 10-05-2010
**Silver-Level** Paid Account

Smile Topic: Chesley Drive...

An open letter to the jerk behind me on the bridge this morning:

You know who you are. You were in the black truck that entered onto the thruway this morning from the lower west side on ramp at 7:28 am. After passing through the toll booth, you placed your front bumper so close up my rear that I could see the dead flies on it and proceeded to rev your engine repeatedly in what you no doubt thought was some manner of communication of being tough.
Perhaps no one has taught you manners, or the comparative concepts of "in front" and "behind". Let me be the first. A vehicle that is seen to arrive at a point FIRST in the timeline is the one IN FRONT. All other vehicles that arrive at the same point after this are considered BEHIND. I understand that we are all very frustrated with the construction activity on the bridge. Since I work two jobs, I face that issue 6 to 7 days a week and I am aware of how much irritation can arise. However, the only way that this construction woe is at least bearable has been the "until-now" aura of communal agreement to not be total jerks during this time and let other cars in without estrogen-enhanced fury or testosterone-fueled bullying. I don't know why you thought you could just muscle your way in around me, I was doing what all the other good citizens of this city normally do and allowing the traffic to flow smoothly from three lanes into one without cutting each other off. I pretended I didn't notice you trying to line-jump me and the other two lanes and carried on, making you stay behind me, but I did see you. Here's a tip for future reference: It's probably futile, and possibly dangerous, to mess with a fat woman driving a small car with an already-damaged bumper with a karate gi draped over the back seat. It either means I have attitude, mad skills, or nothing much to lose, or some combination of the above three. Please in the future be polite and remember, cutting off three other lanes will get you at most three cars ahead, which is a relatively small victory seeing as there are 50-75 cars ahead of you already in the lane. That 7 seconds you save may cost you and someone else a lot more. We are all in the same boat.
P.S. did I see you a few minutes later double parked in the middle of Charlotte St letting your buddy out unexpectedly in direct traffic by the construction site?

(I just thought I might educate by entertaining, I wouldn't really refuse to let someone in if they were about to cause an accident)

Last edited by trinity; 10-05-2010 at 09:17 AM..