Roman Polanski Arts & Entertainment

i SJ: Saint John, New Brunswick  Shopping, Classifieds, Jobs, Real Estate & Rentals, Discussion, Deals, Flyers, + more!

Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online!
Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online! See all recent posts Post a new ad / message Enhanced Features  Helpdesk
Business Advertising Sign-Up (Free!) Search
iSaintJohn Home Forums Home Contact Us Site Rules Terms of Use Privacy Statement

Visit the upgraded front page of iSJ for more info!

Free Saint John Visitor's Guide

Search the web:

Go Back   Saint John Classifieds & Forums > Other Discussion > Arts & Entertainment

Old 09-28-2009
**Silver-Level** Paid Account

Default Topic: Roman Polanski

Roman Polanski

Is anyone sort of following this story? For pete's sake, the situation was over 30 years ago, the "victim" in the case doesn't see it as a crime...it's not like he has been in hiding. Why now are they going forward with this thing?
Old 09-28-2009
Member (100 to 500 posts)

It's the American way.
Old 09-28-2009
**Bronze-Level** Paid Account

Because he is a guilty man that took advantage of a 13 year old girl, and ran from the law for way t0o long. He should be brought to justice, and his celebrity stature should not play any factor.
Old 09-29-2009
**Silver-Level** Paid Account

But at any point in the past 30 years they could have done this, why now is my question? They always knew where he was, what changed? The victim is not pushing for it, she could care less, so who is trying to further their career? Who wants the PR?
Old 09-29-2009
Long-Time Member (500+ posts)

Have you read what he did to this girl? Here is a quote from another site:

Quote:
Polanski never was one to take responsibility for his actions. In 1977, he lured 13-year-old Samantha Gailey (now Geimer) to the home of his actor-pal Jack Nicholson, whereupon he drugged and then repeatedly sexually assaulted and sodomized her. He arrogantly dismissed his actions as being a problem only to uptight Americans, not worldly Europeans like himself.
And here is a quote from the girl. Even though she has forgiven him she still wants him to answer for what he did. She was not a willing participant in this.

Quote:
Polanski's victim has gone on the public record with words of forgiveness for him, although she has also said he should return to California to settle up his outstanding legal obligations in the case.
Here is the site this info comes from:

http://www.thestar.com/entertainment/article/702338
Old 09-29-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by trinity View Post
But at any point in the past 30 years they could have done this, why now is my question? They always knew where he was, what changed? The victim is not pushing for it, she could care less, so who is trying to further their career? Who wants the PR?

trinity; this man plead guilty to the charge. He fled prior to sentencing. The victim did not say she couldn't care less and even if she did Polanski is still a convicted RAPIST. He could now face charges for his unlawful flight from justice, as well as face sentencing for the rape charge and rightfully so.

BTW, some countries do not extradite criminals.
Old 09-29-2009

Talking Topic: Roman Polanski

Jilly Bean, The difference between your 1st post and 2nd post is funny/weird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jilly Bean View Post
It's the American way.
So there you're criticizing the Americans.

Quote:
trinity; this man plead guilty to the charge. He fled prior to sentencing. The victim did not say she couldn't care less and even if she did Polanski is still a convicted RAPIST. He could now face charges for his unlawful flight from justice, as well as face sentencing for the rape charge and rightfully so.

BTW, some countries do not extradite criminals.
And now you obviously read the link that oasis posted 20 mins before you posted you message.

So now you're saying the Americans were correct (contradicting your first post), but you're also acting like you knew about this stuff all along

Personally, I think he's a scumbag who deserves to rot in jail, but I didn't know much about the issues until I looked-up his Wikipedia entry the other day, which led me to this article:
http://www.mirror.co.uk/celebs/news/...5875-15775812/
(an interview with the victim giving a lot of details)

But you shouldn't act like some kind of know-it-all as if you knew this stuff all along, because you clearly didn't as evidenced by your first post.

Last edited by Intrepid; 09-29-2009 at 07:39 AM..
Old 09-29-2009

Wasn't criticizing anyone. There has been an open warrant for Polanski's arrest for many, many years. I simply found it odd that anyone would question why he was arrested.
I also don't need YOU to tell me what I can or cannot post. Get over yourself!

Last edited by Jilly-Bean; 09-29-2009 at 07:49 AM..
Old 09-29-2009

Also, from the above link, it seems the reason the victim wasn't keen about this being pursued is because of all the ensuing media rubbish she's going to have to deal with again.

But what I find baffling is why he's getting support from some corners (in the media, celebritydom, etc.)

Last edited by Intrepid; 09-29-2009 at 07:57 AM..
Old 09-29-2009

Quote:
Wasn't criticizing anyone.
But you were talking down to trinity, acting like you're some kind of expert on the issue.

Quote:
There has been an open warrent for Polanski's arrest for many, many years. I simply found it odd that anyone would question why he was arrested.
That's funny, you sure didn't mention that in your first post, where you criticized the Americans

Quote:
I also don't need YOU to tell me what I can or cannot post. Get over yourself!
The issue is with your "holier-than-thou" attitude, acting like you're some kind of know-it-all.

In your first post, you acted like the Americans were stupid for having him arrested.

And then when you read an article (courtesy of someone else posting it), you suddenly start talking down to others as if you're an expert.
Old 09-29-2009

No intrepid, I wasn't talking down to anyone. If someone doesn't understand the concept of being found guilty because you have plead guilty to the offence AND evading justice by being at large for 30 years then I don't know what to tell ya. It's common sense why he was detained, an outstanding warrant for his arrest might be the first clue.

I also don't get the support he is getting from his supporters in La La land. It's shocking!

Last edited by Jilly-Bean; 09-29-2009 at 09:56 AM.. Reason: removed snarky comment.
Old 09-29-2009
Long-Time Member (500+ posts)

Quote:
Originally Posted by trinity View Post
trinity, he fled the country, that means he went into HIDING, they could not find him at any point in the last 30 years, and if he was found, depending on the Country he was in, the law enforcement may not have handed him over. He slipped up, and now he should burn for the crimes he committed against that poor girl.