Hickory dickory dock.... Home & Garden

i SJ: Saint John, New Brunswick  Shopping, Classifieds, Jobs, Real Estate & Rentals, Discussion, Deals, Flyers, + more!

Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online!
Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online! See all recent posts Post a new ad / message Enhanced Features  Helpdesk
Business Advertising Sign-Up (Free!) Search
iSaintJohn Home Forums Home Contact Us Site Rules Terms of Use Privacy Statement

Visit the upgraded front page of iSJ for more info!

Free Saint John Visitor's Guide

Search the web:

Go Back   Saint John Classifieds & Forums > Other Discussion > Home & Garden

Old 09-18-2010
Member (100 to 500 posts)

Default Topic: Hickory dickory dock....

Hickory dickory dock....

.... well we don't have a clock, but we do have a mouse.

It is in the basement apartment and we rent it out. I cleaned the spots where I think it came in (found mouse droppings) and put new bait on the mousetraps. The tenant has a pretty clean apartment but has a lot of stuff packed in corners and closets.

Now, it's eating its way through the gyprock on one bedroom. Where there is no food. And doesn't make sense to me. A mouse wouldn't be eating it's way through the wall if there was food available (on the traps) would it? That is not my experience.
I walked around the outside of the house to find potential places for it to come in but had a serious hard time but you can't tell with mice.

This is been going on for a couple weeks now and I can't get it. What am I overlooking? The only other thing that I can come up with is that the mouse has a place to feed itself from already.

Anyone has any thoughts? Or advice?

What I also want to know is if rat droppings are significant larger than mouse droppings...?

Last edited by ysbran; 09-18-2010 at 03:02 PM..
Old 09-19-2010

Yes, rat droppings are bigger and my first thought was if it is eating through gyproc that it may very well be a rat. Call an exterminator and ask some questions.
Old 09-20-2010

It turned out to be a mole. I caught it in the mousetrap. So, I take it the droppings came from the mole. Now I'm wondering how a mole gets into a basement laundry room, I guess there must be hole somewhere but I will keep on setting traps to get mice that must be there as well...
Old 09-26-2010

All right, we caught a second mole, this one was also in the house in the laundry room. There is a ton of information on catching mice and rats but I never heard anything about moles in the house or how to get rid of them.

Anyone any experience with this?
Old 09-27-2010
Long-Time Member (500+ posts)

A mole is the same as a mouse..it's that time of the year...plug any holes that you find with either steel wool or you can buy a spray foam at hardware stores..we have problems with them in our rv right about now too.
Old 10-24-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystalbeach View Post
A mole is the same as a mouse..it's that time of the year...plug any holes that you find with either steel wool or you can buy a spray foam at hardware stores..we have problems with them in our rv right about now too.
I waited long before I filled up the holes, but eventually I purchased the steel wool and the spray foam and went after every hole (most of them were in warm places -> under the sink, behind the stove, in the corner of the hot water boiler, so any rodent would only be able to access the laundry room. Now, I don't have a clue were they came in but I kept on putting up traps. Now I caught two mice yesterday. But at least they are not in the apartment anymore. Thanks for the advice!!!
Old 12-17-2010

End of December... still mice in the walls. Everyone in the neighbourhood seems to have them?
Old 12-19-2010
*Basic-Level* Paid Account

If they are in the laundry room, do you have a vent going outside. maybe that is how they are getting in.
Old 04-03-2011

Just giving an update;
we eventually got rid of all the mice. We started doing reno in the apartment we had rented out and while doing that it appeared that the tenant that had been there NEVER ever cleaned her unit. I found two old nests in the insulation in the ceiling above in the bathroom.

They came in through the old spot where the water pump used to be connected and then found their ways in the walls behind the fridge.
We told the NEW tenant to keep the place clean and thank heavens the do. In my opinion I have closed all the entrances and if you have mice then you are feeding them yourself. We have caught about 20 mice and 2 moles in total and I have learned a lot about mice. But also about tenants.