Harbour Bridge Lane open tonight Local Topics

i SJ: Saint John, New Brunswick  Shopping, Classifieds, Jobs, Real Estate & Rentals, Discussion, Deals, Flyers, + more!

Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online!
Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online! See all recent posts Post a new ad / message Enhanced Features  Helpdesk
Business Advertising Sign-Up (Free!) Search
iSaintJohn Home Forums Home Contact Us Site Rules Terms of Use Privacy Statement

Visit the upgraded front page of iSJ for more info!

Free Saint John Visitor's Guide

Search the web:

Go Back   Saint John Classifieds & Forums > General & Local Discussion > Local Topics

Old 11-15-2010
**Silver-Level** Paid Account

Smile Topic: Harbour Bridge Lane open tonight

Harbour Bridge Lane open tonight

I came over the bridge about a half hour ago and the side that has been closed is open, one lane. Not sure how permanent it will be, it looks pretty raw and unfinished, but maybe, just maybe, some of us won't be stuck in nutty traffic to get to work tomorrow? hope hope hope. crossing fingers???
Old 11-16-2010
Long-Time Member (500+ posts)

Default Topic: Harbour Bridge Lane open tonight

So just think whats going to happen if someone breaks down on that single lane... complete and udder gridlock! There is no way to pass by a broke down car like the other lane. Emergency vehicles... it'll be a nightmare for them as well! I think they should just keep it as it is until the west bound lanes are completely finished.
Old 11-16-2010
**Bronze-Level** Paid Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tremc View Post
So just think whats going to happen if someone breaks down on that single lane... complete and udder gridlock! There is no way to pass by a broke down car like the other lane. Emergency vehicles... it'll be a nightmare for them as well! I think they should just keep it as it is until the west bound lanes are completely finished.

You know that is a really good point. I am sure they have an emergency plan in effect though. (Hopefully) If worse came to worse they could pick a vehicle up with the zoom boom they have there.
Old 11-16-2010
Member (100 to 500 posts)

I'm sure it'd be no trouble to have a towtruck there inside of 5 minutes. A breakdown is simple, but an accident would be a problem. I'm just glad that things are speeding up and getting closer to being finished. Can't wait to use my onramp again!
Old 11-17-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tremc View Post
We've just been lucky so far no one broke down when there was only one lane going each way, Think if someone broke down at 730 am or 5 pm? Can't see how an emerg vehicle would get to anyone in that case either. 3 lanes are better than two, that's for sure.
Old 11-17-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by trinity View Post
We've just been lucky so far no one broke down when there was only one lane going each way, Think if someone broke down at 730 am or 5 pm? Can't see how an emerg vehicle would get to anyone in that case either. 3 lanes are better than two, that's for sure.
There was an Acadian bus broke down going east bound about 2 months ago. Slowed things down for sure but the Harbour Authority managed traffic well.
Old 11-17-2010

Yes I was waiting to get past the toll booth, there was only one car in front of us. We had to wait for a bit but it didn't take too long.
Old 11-18-2010

Speaking of accident on the single lane going West on the harbour bridge...

It happened tonight around 5-ish. Traffic stopped dead for quite some time. I managed to tune into the radio and find out why the traffic was dead stopped and not just slow and turned off on the North Side exit and spent 40mins more trying to get to the West side on the 'low-road'. By the time I was near the Petro Canada on Hilyard St., the single West lane was moving slowly again. Who knows if I made the right choice. All I know is that I drive a manual transmission (By choice) and my ankles were getting tired of clutching. lol.

ANyone know what happened?
Old 11-19-2010
**Bronze-Level** Paid Account

It was absolutely nuts last night! I was out of town yesterday and when I came back I had to go uptown to drop someone off and then go back west. It took me over an hour to get back across the bridge. The bridge was backed up as far as the eye could see. Chesley Dr, Douglas Ave, Main St North, and Union St as far back as the causeway were completely gridlocked.

Apparently it wasn't well thought out when they re-opened the west bound lane. The accident happened at the top of the bridge going west. What I don't understand is why traffic gets so congested on Chesley Dr. There is no construction going on there anymore.
Old 11-19-2010
Member (100 to 500 posts)

If I heard the news right this morning, they said that there were three accidents on the bridge caused mostly by driver inattention. Gotta love rubberneckers.
Old 11-19-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by GinNB View Post
If I heard the news right this morning, they said that there were three accidents on the bridge caused mostly by driver inattention. Gotta love rubberneckers.
I heard the same thing, 3 different accidents.
Old 11-20-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by GinNB View Post
They were probably all so overjoyed that the lane was open....or else confused at being able to drive on the other side again :-)