working with Class D - Poisonous and Infectious Material while pregnant? :: Saint John, NB - Health & Wellness

Saint John, New Brunswick  Shopping, Classifieds, Jobs, Real Estate & Rentals, Discussion, Deals, Flyers, + more!

Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online!
Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online! See all recent posts Post a new ad / message Enhanced Features  Helpdesk
Business Advertising Sign-Up (Free!) Search
iSaintJohn Home Forums Home Contact Us Site Rules Terms of Use Privacy Statement

Special iSJ Features: 
Shopping Mall
Links to dozens of sites
Online Flyers
Links to flyers for Sobeys, Superstore, Sears, drugstores, & many more retailers.
iSJ Paid Advertising
It's easy, effective, & affordable. Reach thousands of people for as little as $5.55 per week!
Search the web:

Featured Advertiser:

Naturally for Life - the eco store (NOW OPEN)! We offer an excellent selection of eco-friendly and fair-trade products, knowledge, and superior customer service!

Advertise Here

Go Back   Saint John Classifieds & Forums > Other Discussion > Health & Wellness

Old 12-07-2009
Long-Time Member (500+ posts)

Default Topic: working with Class D - Poisonous and Infectious Material while pregnant?

working with Class D - Poisonous and Infectious Material while pregnant?

Ok...So I have been at my job for about 6 weeks now, so still on probationary period. I am a cashier at a grocery store...There is this spray that we use for cleaning the belt off after leaking meat or whatever has come across it. I noticed a WHMIS symbol on the label the other day...looks like an upside down pylon with a dot under it. So today I googled that symbol, with these various results:

"Division 2: Materials Causing Other Toxic Effects

These materials are poisonous as well. Their effects are not always quick, or if the effects are immediate but they are only temporary. The materials that do not have immediate effects, however, may still have very serious consequences such as cancer, allergies, reproductive problems or harm to the baby, changes to your genes, or irritation / sensitization which have resulted from small exposures over a long period of time (chronic effects). Division 2 of Class D has two subclasses called D2A (very toxic) and D2B (toxic). While it is not a legal requirement for the WHMIS sub-classification to be reported on the Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) nor is it a requirement for classes D2A or D2B to be distinguished on the label, it is often possible to make this distinction using the health hazard information on the label and/or the MSDS.
Products are typically classified as D2A (very toxic) if the chemical has been shown to be carcinogenic, embryo toxic, teratogenic, mutagenic (to reproductive cells), reproductive toxic, sensitizer (to respiratory tract) or chronic (long-term) toxicity (at low doses). Subdivision D2B (toxic) covers mutagenic (to non-reproductive cells), sensitization of the skin, skin or eye irritation, as well as chronic toxic effects. "

"These materials can cause life-threatening and serious long-term health problems as well as less severe but immediate reactions in a person who is repeatedly exposed to small amounts."

"

Class D, Division 2 materials:
  • are poisonous substances that are not immediately dangerous to health;
  • may cause death or permanent damage as a result of repeated exposures over time;
  • may be a skin or eye irritant;
  • may be a sensitizer, which produces a chemical allergy;
  • may cause cancer;
  • may cause birth defects or sterility.
When handling Class D, Division 2 materials, you should:
  • avoid contact with the skin or eyes by wearing the proper protective equipment, including eye, face, and hand protection and protective clothing;
  • avoid inhaling by working in well ventilated areas and/or wearing respiratory equipment;
  • store the containers in designated areas. "
Anyhow...the search goes on. We are not given gloves to use with it, or masks, and just wear normal grocery store outfit when using this. I am severely concerned...Here is my worry:
1. I still have to request to be moved to either speedy checkout or another area because the lifting of certain items hurts my back and belly, and when moving the packed bags to the end of the register thing the counter presses into my belly
2. I now have to tell them I refuse to use this product, therefor to them probably meaning I refuse to do my job since using it is a requirement.

I will be 27 weeks along on wednesday...so I am worried that this could have serious effects on my baby. Any advice? HELP?!
Old 12-07-2009

Default Topic: working with Class D - Poisonous and Infectious Material while pregnant?

"may cause birth defects or sterility"

If it was me and I was pregnant... your baby comes first.
Old 12-07-2009
**Bronze-Level** Paid Account

This covers a broad range of things. It could be something as simple as an eye or skin irritant. Do you know the name of the product you are using? You can get the MSDS on the specific product you are using. As for not providing you with the proper PPE, if the product requires that you use it than they have to provide it to you.
Old 12-07-2009

If it were me I would talk to my doctor about it..right away.
Old 12-07-2009
Member (100 to 500 posts)

Aye carumba!

So is this the regular spray that cashiers use when they spray the conveyor belt?

I've had cashiers spray that gunk right in my direction when I'm standing in line. I found it annoying, but assumed it was probably just some non-toxic cleanser, considering so much food goes on there and all.

But it turns out they're using toxic cleaners on it?

Various types of produce have bags that are like mesh (onions, oranges, etc.), so it's disturbing that grocery stores use a toxic cleanser on the conveyor belt.

I know meat leaking can cause an issue, but there must be something safer than the cleanser you describe above!

About your question, I agree with CrystalBeach... probably best to ask a doctor. Or another option is to phone Tele-care, where you can ask a nurse:
http://www.gnb.ca/0217/Tele-Care-e.asp

It sounds like a cashier job may be tough when pregnant though. Maybe you could send your resume to a temp agency, because then you might be able to get a short-term desk job that would be easier physically.
Old 12-07-2009
Member (100 to 500 posts)

Also, what's the name of the cleaning liquid?
Old 12-07-2009

I cannot for the life of me remember the name of it. I was told today that they water it down, but still.

I knew it probably wasn't the best for me, considering im not allowed to even use household cleaners...but when I saw the symbol, it got me worried. Even if it is just an irritant, it has a toxic symbol on it...meaning it obviously can cause harm to my baby.

I don't work again until friday, and have a doctor appointment on thursday so i may see if i can get into work to get the name of the cleaner before i see my doctor.

And the really funny thing is 2 weeks ago, at the end of a Sunday shift, I accidentally inhaled a bunch of it while cleaning my belt, and took a major coughing fit and my eyes were watering majorly...almost like i was having an asthma attack or something...my manager walked right up to me, said i should be more careful, and that was that.
Old 12-07-2009

Surely there have been other pregnant grocery store employees who may be able to shed some light on it????

No other pregnant employee has used these products and thought about their health and that of their babies????

Surely there must be other products that would be as effective while still recognized by WHIMIS? Bleach??

You can try contacting WHIMIS directly regarding the product in question, sorry I checked out their website for you and all I could find was an email address (WHMIS_SIMDUT@hc-sc.gc.ca) or have your Doctor write a medical excuse for using this product.

Good Luck!!