Sorry, I have to vent because it's disturbing! Pets & Animals

i SJ: Saint John, New Brunswick  Shopping, Classifieds, Jobs, Real Estate & Rentals, Discussion, Deals, Flyers, + more!

Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online!
Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online! See all recent posts Post a new ad / message Enhanced Features  Helpdesk
Business Advertising Sign-Up (Free!) Search
iSaintJohn Home Forums Home Contact Us Site Rules Terms of Use Privacy Statement

Visit the upgraded front page of iSJ for more info!

Free Saint John Visitor's Guide

Search the web:

Go Back   Saint John Classifieds & Forums > Other Discussion > Pets & Animals

Old 10-09-2009
Long-Time Member (500+ posts)

Question Topic: Sorry, I have to vent because it's disturbing!

Sorry, I have to vent because it's disturbing!

I don't know why I do it to myself, and I'm sure there are others of you out there to that do this. I'm bored, so I start surfing the net looking at different websites and such. ALWAYS the pet section.

The thing that bothers me is when people are trying to sell there dog because they don't have "time" for it anymore. One ad I read (i'm sure this is what set me off) they weren't selling the dog but giving it away because...."we are traveling more and don't have time" the dog is 11 years old!!! AND to boot a very SMALL breed!!

Or the one that says "my dog is 3yrs old, a pure bred, would like 750 or best offer" WTH!!!

I don't live in an ideal situation with my 2 large dogs, sure I would LOVE to live in the country or a more rural setting with them...HOWEVER...I consider them a part of my family, and when I had/have had to look for apartments they had to be able to take my dogs. I too have very little time, everyone's life is busy but I MAKE time!! I guess I just have a hard time of believing after 11yrs longer or shorter that all of a sudden your dog has become an "inconvenience"....to me that would be like saying my child never existed.

Is this just me ???
Old 10-09-2009

Default Topic: Sorry, I have to vent because it's disturbing!

OR BEST OFFER?! For a living creature!? I hate people. I really really hate most people.
Old 10-09-2009

Yep...the ad said $850 or best offer!! I'm right in line with you in regards to some people...they don't have the sense that God gave them.
Old 10-09-2009
Member (100 to 500 posts)

Hey folks - just putting my 2 cents out there...

At the moment I am not a pet owner but do love animals. I can't say I agree either with "OBO". - That's kinda cold. BUT, I think it's responsible for a pet owner to look for a new home for their animals vs. taking it out back & putting a bullet in it's head.
These people shouldn't be made to feel irresponsible or as though they failed. I know this is kind of an extreme comparison but take a look at that guy who stabbed the baby near St. Stephen. People who are that "lost" should have somewhere to turn. Anything's better than taking a life & if people are looked down upon for giving living things up (whether domesticated animals or human beings) they may possible resort to the unimaginable knowing that if no one finds out - no harm done. That's not right - Just my 2 cents.

oh... I also think giving an animal away is better than selling an animal you don't want (in some ways). I know if you put a price on it - it's more likely to find a better home (if someone pays for something - it shows dedication & good intentions) but I also think there's something wrong with trying to profit off an animal that you don't even want.

Last edited by macmike78; 10-09-2009 at 09:19 PM..
Old 10-09-2009

You're right MacMike. I agree with most of what you said, kind of, but I was thinking of people like... my parents for example, I can't even tell you how many cats I had when I was growing up ( A LOT! ), they were throw away items for them. Once they were out grown their kitten stage, they were gone, and a LOT of people are like that, it's disgusting, absolutely appalling. There's no excuse for giving an animal away and getting another only months later.
Old 10-09-2009

macmike78 - I agree with "giving" an animal away... my rant was/is that I don't understand how after 11yrs you suddenly don't have "time" for your pet. I'm not looking down my nose at people for doing so, the problem I have is : after many years you suddenly want to be petless, you have had said pet for time - x and now want to make money off of it because it's 1 too many in your household. Do you think that the pet stores really care when people buy animals from there and that they all necessarily have "good intentions or dedication" for said pet? I'm not knocking your opinion, but I guess I've seen way too much of it on some sites and it sickens me.

Last edited by T4; 10-09-2009 at 09:26 PM.. Reason: sp error
Old 10-10-2009
Member (< 100 posts)

Unhappy Topic: Sorry, I have to vent because it's disturbing!

I was the taker of a larger breed dog,ad said moved no room or time to walk anymore.Buddy was 6 at the time.I lived on a farm so I made the journey into town an got him.BEST THING i ever did,he was my baby.But sadly 5 yrs later my marriage broke up,so I had to part with him.No room an no time to walk him.But happily he found a new home with a retired man who wanted an older well behaved dog to walk with him an keep him company in front of the fireplace,Now that was right up Buddys alley,his 2 favorite things to do.In a perfect world we could keep our pets forever,but sadly this world isn;t perfect.
Old 10-10-2009

I have no time for people who feel that their pets are disposible...I realize that circumstances change in people's lives however I agree with T4..seems to me you would have figured it out years ago that you didn't have time for a pet.
Old 10-10-2009

I have 4 cats. They are my best friends and are like children to me. I have made arrangements that if I should die before they are gone, they have a home to go to. I also have a contract with a family member that if I suddenly find myself in a situation where pets aren't allowed anymore where I'm living then they can go stay with my family member providing I provide the food, litter etc until I can find a new home for us. This may seem extreme or silly but when I decided to get my pets, I planned for the future for them as well.
Old 10-10-2009

There is an entire section on this site that is devoted to allowing people to give away unwanted animals. There are 28 dogs and 52 cats listed on the ARL site. Extrapolate those numbers out, and there are probably about a quarter of a million dogs and cats in ARL equivalents in North America, each with a similar story. That doesn't count the ones in papers, and web sites.

And still there are people thinking they're doing anything other than a contemptable act when they put an ad with a little smiley beside it to give away kittens because they were too irresponsible to fix their cat. Pretty unbelievable.
Old 10-10-2009

Unhappy Topic: Sorry, I have to vent because it's disturbing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by annieelf View Post
I was the taker of a larger breed dog,ad said moved no room or time to walk anymore.Buddy was 6 at the time.I lived on a farm so I made the journey into town an got him.BEST THING i ever did,he was my baby.But sadly 5 yrs later my marriage broke up,so I had to part with him.No room an no time to walk him.But happily he found a new home with a retired man who wanted an older well behaved dog to walk with him an keep him company in front of the fireplace,Now that was right up Buddys alley,his 2 favorite things to do.In a perfect world we could keep our pets forever,but sadly this world isn;t perfect.

There is NOTHING wrong with that, you gave "Buddy" the opportunity to have a good life. My rant is because if after you have had a "pet" for a number of years you suddenly decide that you no longer have the "time". Well, when they got the pet they didn't realize that it meant forever? I understand that situations change, and trust me I DO know. But again, I at one point was a single mother of 3 children plus large dogs. We had to move from the country to the city. From a 4 bedroom house with acreage, to an apartment!! I guess that for ME and this is strictly on a personal basis..my animals are a part of my family not disposable like a Kleenex. Just sad that it happens lately wayy to often. Like when the novelty wears off, look at the websites and the animals at the ARL. In a "perfect" world people would take the time to spay/neuter their pets, think about the decisions they are making. But your right, this world is FAR from "PERFECT".....
Old 10-11-2009

annieelf's situation was kind of a different one and I understand why she had to do this, but I know what T4 is talking about. There are so many people giving away senior dogs whether its to the ARL or on websites. I don't agree with selling your senior pet either. It seems to me that they are just tired of having it in the house, don't want to be bothered looking after it anymore and maybe they'll just get themselves a cute little puppy soon. How can anyone look into those eyes after 11 years and say I don't want you anymore?!! I've had 2 dogs since I've been living on my own, the first one lived for 13 years, he didn't have the best attitude and he was from the league and I stuck it out. When it came time to look for a new apartment, I just kept looking until I found one that would allow my dog. If I couldn't find one then I would have stayed where I was, it wasn't an option for me!

People should think long and hard before they purchase or adopt a pet, they are not throw aways. They WILL become a part of your family, they WILL love you unconditionally and they WILL become very depressed when they are thrown away at 11 years old.
When I hear people say "I might like to get a dog" I question them, there's no might about it, either you do or you don't. People don't give their kids away after they come out of the baby stage and loose their cuteness!! I know I'm going to hear don't compare kids with dogs, but see I don't have any kids that was my choice.
Unfortunately in this world pets are throw aways and considered property. So yes T4 I don't know how they can do it but they do and it drives me nuts when I read about it also.
Old 10-11-2009

What REALLY drives me is 'he was my best friend, I love him so much and I hate having to do this, but I've developed allergies' ... OR 'my boyfriend doesn't like him, and this will break my heart.' ugh.
Old 10-11-2009

T4 I agree. The ones that get me annoyed are the ones looking to breed their dog. Their ad full of spelling errors and can't even spell the "breed" they have. How many times have I seen Purebread. If you can't spell it..you shouldn't breed it. If you can't afford to vet 'em..don't get 'em..is a bumper sticker I saw the other day. I have 6 pets and my life is designed around them. My husband and I even take vacations apart. It may not work for some..but it works for us. We can't afford to board them all and with the diet they are on and the health issues they have..they are just better at home with the regular routine. We have our wills made out in case something happens to both of us and the animals will be taken care of. Sure that may be an extreme in the opposite direction. Spend a day at the shelter and you will see heartbreaking case after heartbreaking case. I don't get this "needs a home at a farm". That is so foolish IMO. I have a large dog that we keep exercised by taking the time to walk him. Farm dogs often get hit by cars because they are allowed to run free so why is that the "ideal" life. Not all farm dogs..please don't jump on me for that. People buy on impulse and neglect at leisure.
Old 10-11-2009

Sorry, just had to do it!!!

The one's I like are the one's that call the dog a "thoroughbred". Ummmmmm................last I knew a "thoroughbred was a horse!!!
Old 10-11-2009
**Silver-Level** Paid Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by dally View Post
annieelf's situation was kind of a different one and I understand why she had to do this, but I know what T4 is talking about. There are so many people giving away senior dogs whether its to the ARL or on websites. I don't agree with selling your senior pet either.
I agree. My cat is 14 and she is starting to need a lot more care-twice daily meds, 2 kinds. Three or four trips a year to the vet for blood tests. She will only eat certain types of food now. I work 3 jobs and hardly have time to see her let alone cater to her, but I make the effort. Going to Sobeys at midnight after work to get the Whiskas BITES, not Chunks, of Chicken, not turkey. Making arrangements if I want to go away overnight for my roommate to medicate her. Putting up with her crankiness and demands. Actually adding assistive furniture like step stools and chairs in places so she can get up. Making sure no clothes or stuff lands in HER "places" that she likes to nap in. I will be honest and say that this is the first OLD cat I have ever owned, all the rest didn't see 5 yrs due to accident, illness, or my parent's decisions, and it might be a long time before I get a pet again when she is gone because I DONT want the trouble.Some days I feel like being free of her and wish I could just have a cat again that didn't take this much work, but that's not fair, she gave me the best years of her life and I would throw her away because she is old and now takes some WORK and $$ to keep her going? Not a chance!
Old 10-12-2009

yep, I agree Trinity/Allof my cats have their own likes and demands.My 2 old girls are very demanding about their food, sleeping places and a million other things.They puke at a drop of a hat. I would newver ever entertain the ideal of giving them up because they are more work. Small price to pay for the 13 years of loyal constant companionship, laughter and joy living with them. I cannot imagine anyone getting rid of their family member, unless there is a medical reason such as aging. Allergies don't even count IMO. My cats are my extended family but once they are all gone, I will not be having more. Too hard to lose them and it breaks my heart.
Old 10-14-2009

I guess it would be safe to say that there are pet "lovers" and then there are the lovers of "pets".....
Old 10-14-2009

I cannot stand seeing all the ads about "wanting to breed" and "purebreds for sale, 800$" but yet full of spelling msitakes. Obviously not being done properly. I have a dog, who is about 6 years old. My fiance and I are expecting our first baby in a few months. Over the past year, my dog has gotten territorial, and growls at everyone who comes near us. There was the talk about what to do with fear of the baby, but a baby should never be left alone with a dog, and there are steps to take to get them used to it. My dog will leave me of old age.

My mother has 6 dogs and 3 cats, and 2 birds. In the last year she has put almost 10000$ into all of them, making sure have best medical care. One of her dogs is about to undergo a 2500$ surgery to reattatch the ligaments in his knee. Do you think she thought twice about it? No way
Old 10-14-2009

Lizard Lover,
I'm sure your dog has only become territorial because of the upcoming birth of your baby. Of course he/she smells all of the hormones that your wife is putting out. People said the same to me about bringing my baby home to a Rottie. There are steps I took so that he knew the smells of the new things, the things in the baby's room, and had a special blanket that when the baby was born (those days you stayed 7 not 2 days) it had the babys scent on it. My husband took the blanket home...no problems.

That dog was THE best, she learned how to walk by holding on to that big guy. AND...she was NEVER left alone in a room by herself with him...because "accidents" do happen.

Glad to hear that your furbaby is staying while your human baby is coming into the world!!