Any guitar players out there??? General: Discussion

i SJ: Saint John, New Brunswick  Shopping, Classifieds, Jobs, Real Estate & Rentals, Discussion, Deals, Flyers, + more!

Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online!
Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online! See all recent posts Post a new ad / message Enhanced Features  Helpdesk
Business Advertising Sign-Up (Free!) Search
iSaintJohn Home Forums Home Contact Us Site Rules Terms of Use Privacy Statement

Visit the upgraded front page of iSJ for more info!

Free Saint John Visitor's Guide

Search the web:

Go Back   Saint John Classifieds & Forums > General & Local Discussion > General: Discussion

Old 10-12-2010
Long-Time Member (500+ posts)

Question Topic: Any guitar players out there???

Any guitar players out there???

Okay, my 15 year old son thinks he may want to try the electric guitar. I have no problem with that and think it will make a great Christmas gift. Problem is I am not musically inclined, and besides the guitar itself am not sure what else I am to buy with it. I don't want to spend a fortune because I don't know if this will last or is just a phase but I want to make sure he has everything he needs to be able to practice and play. I am looking for somewhat of a starter kit. The music stores I have called want around $500 and that is a little pricey for me. Can anyone tell me what is needed to get him started???? Thanks
Old 10-13-2010
Member (100 to 500 posts)

Default Topic: Any guitar players out there???

you need a guitar, guitar strap, amp, patchcord (goes between the guitar and amp), guitar pick and probably a case for the guitar so he can lug it around. I played in highschool and was able to get everything second hand and cheap. If he takes to it, you can upgrade later. Have you tried pawn shops? Beats & Bytes on Bayside? Digital World?
Old 10-13-2010
Member (< 100 posts)

guitar

If you're just looking for an entry level kit to see if it holds his interest and don't want to break the bank doing it, try Sears
http://www.sears.ca/product/nova-39-...57-26211-26211
Old 10-13-2010

Thanks guys, I was actually looking at that one in Sears but didn't know if that included everything he would need.
Old 10-13-2010

Guitar

I was at Costco last and they had Fender Stratocaster's for $179.00 I believe they came with a practice amp. Nice guitar for for a beginner..If he takes to it I can sell you a mint 1970's Strat for around 5 Grand....Good Luck.
Old 10-17-2010

I would suggest looking around for a decent pre-owned guitar, maybe beats and bytes, online that sort of thing, but as with any purchase you would certainly want to examine the instrument for the usual things that can go wrong with them. You may find something that sounds a little more pleasing than some of the ones you may find, such as at walmart, sears etc.

Amplifier is also important for the sound of the guitar. I know from experience that starting out, it really helps when the sound coming from the guitar is good (as opposed to sounding like an emaciated howling cat). If someone is just starting out and not wanting to spend too much, one of those digital effects suites that you can use headphones or connect to your home stereo may be a good option. (Also might save some cash on a pre-used as well

I almost gave up trying to learn how to play when I first started out with a low quality guitar, it didn't have proper intonation at all, went out of tune very quickly etc, once I found a good deal on one that actually worked well, my interest in playing was rekindled and have been playing now for about 7 years. Total cost I think was about 150 for the guitar (same model would have cost somewhere around 350 or so) and 50 for the effects and amp modeling unit (bonus on this, you get fair approximations of the sounds of more than one amplifier) all purchased through good old ISAINTJOHN and that other local classified site

Hope this advice is of some use to you, and I hope your son enjoys learning to play

p.s.you can find great lessons for free on youtube and such as well
Old 10-17-2010

I have a nice blue strat copy in mint condition for 125....comes withn a patch cord. Adult owned, not played
Old 10-17-2010

Thanks for your help everyone. Another question, how do you know what size to get, I see some at 36", some at 38, 39, 41