Outsourcing housekeeping :-) General: Discussion

i SJ: Saint John, New Brunswick  Shopping, Classifieds, Jobs, Real Estate & Rentals, Discussion, Deals, Flyers, + more!

Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online!
Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online! See all recent posts Post a new ad / message Enhanced Features  Helpdesk
Business Advertising Sign-Up (Free!) Search
iSaintJohn Home Forums Home Contact Us Site Rules Terms of Use Privacy Statement

Visit the upgraded front page of iSJ for more info!

Free Saint John Visitor's Guide

Search the web:

Go Back   Saint John Classifieds & Forums > General & Local Discussion > General: Discussion

Old 09-05-2009
**Silver-Level** Paid Account

Default Topic: Outsourcing housekeeping :-)

Outsourcing housekeeping :-)

I work 3 jobs, and I hate to clean. I would rather work at my job for two hours and pay someone else to clean my place. What is wrong with that? But everywhere I ask people if they know anyone who cleans, I get poo-pooed and told to just do it myself. Do they live my life? Do they live the days when I leave the house at 7:20 am and don't return til 9 pm? There's two of those days a week. Then there is at least one day when I leave at 8 am and am not home again til 11 PM. When I do get home I want, I NEED to relax. Even on my days off, I have stuff to do- car repairs, dr and dentist appts. I'm also about to sign up for French classes at NBCC and possibly return to karate training . I also NEED to go to the gym for health reasons. So if I have to choose between spending an hour vacuuming and dusting or an hour at the gym or karate class, I'm going to pick the physical activity. And no, housework is NOT sufficient exercise, it is anaerobic for the most part, not AErobic. Why do people think it is ok to tell me to just do it myself? Just because I am single and no kids and want to pay someone else to wash my dishes doesn't make me lazy. What is their problem that they would be so scornful of my search for a cleaner?
Old 09-05-2009
Long-Time Member (500+ posts)

They are just jealous they can not afford the luxury.
Old 09-05-2009
Member (100 to 500 posts)

I agree with SVTF they must just be jealous. If I could afford to have someone else clean my house wether I was very busy or not I would deffiantly pay them lol.
Old 09-05-2009

It's your time and you decide how to value it. Hiring help makes sense for you and if it makes your life easier, than it's worth it.
Old 09-05-2009

I have a Molly Maid come to my house once every 2 weeks to clean for me. When I tell people that I have a cleaner, the usual response is...oh it must be nice....I say yes it is thank you. Then of coarse they ask me why I dont do it myself...my response is....I don't want to, I don't have to, so I don't.

Mind you I still have to do dishes daily, change the bed and laundry, and just the daily upkeep of living, but they come in and sweep and mop all my hardwood floors, clean the bathroom, and kitchen and dust all through the house.

It cost me 60.00 once every 2 weeks, it is the best 120.00 a months I can think of spending.

I would rather go out and mow the lawn, than wash floors and toilets.

I say go for it, you wont regret it!
Old 09-05-2009

Just DO IT, DO IT, DO IT!! If I could I would do the same!! However..right now it's not in my budget, but there's no saying that it won't be at some time!! Life is too short to worry about what others have to say!!
Old 09-05-2009
**Silver-Level** Paid Account

I didn't really want to go with a professional cleaning service because maybe part of their policy would NOT allow them to be stacking boxes, resorting stuff, etc. I have a "junk room" for example where the floor is almost buried in single stacked boxes, broken open boxes, and random debris, there's just a footpath through it to the laundry room, which is another horror. What this means is I don't have any use in the beginning for someone who just dusts and vacuums; darn hard to sweep a floor that you can't see. Maybe I should just post for a general labourer and when he/she gets the crap out of the area then look for a professional cleaner to maintain it? Would Manpower or a temp agency have people that are looking for that kind of work, do you think?
Old 09-05-2009

Hi Trinity, My job is just what you are talking about. I do housekeeping. I charge 50.00 for three hours. I dust, mop, vacuum, clean bathroom(s) etc...
If you are interested please feel free to write back with your number and where you live. Hope to hear from you...Darlene
Old 09-07-2009

Why not.?!! If everyone cleaned their own house, Molly Maid and such wouldn't have a business.

I clean my own house, and I think I would even if I could afford a maid. But that's just me, I like to do things my way :P I don't see anything wrong at all with getting a housekeeper to come in if you are busy person. If the person is not busy and are just lazy, then that's a whole other story!!
Old 09-08-2009

I think it all about personal choice. I worked two and somewtimes three jobs and raised two kids as a single parent. There were times when you could only walk in the center of the kit and living room. My kids don't remember that. They remember playing vollyball in the front yard and bicycling around the trails with me trying to keep up. Dirt will always be there long after you are dead and gone.My house wasn't dirty, it was messy. My mom used to say a home needs to be clean enough to be healthy and dirty enough to be happy. I wouldn't want anyone else in my house cleaning up after me. I value my privicy too much. I always found time to clean, even if it was just 1/2 an hour while waiting for supper to cook. Good luck finding a cleaning lady.I'm sure there are many good ones out there who would like the job.
Old 09-08-2009

inuit...I hear what your saying!! I only have one left home now. The others are grown and gone. My mom is a clean freak, and would ALWAYS freak about the way my house looked, even after we had cleaned it. BUT...my kids (older ones) remember doing things and going places. BUT let me tell you this...lol...if I could have someone come do it now...BRING IT ON!! LOL....

Trinity....do what's good for YOU!! I still say ...DO IT, DO IT, DO IT!! lol
Old 09-08-2009

lol T4, My mother is the same way. I tell her I don't want to not be able to have a good time with my kids etc, becasue I have to clean. My mom is the type of person who will mop the floor when she has company lol.
Old 09-09-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpkin View Post
. If the person is not busy and are just lazy, then that's a whole other story!!

Even if they are just lazy isn't it still there choice? As long as they can afford it who is it hurting. Their house gets cleaned, and some one has a job. It's a win win!

I've got to admit I'm lazy when it comes to house work. So is my wife. Not because we enjoy a messy house. We get to spend so little time together with work that when we have any time together we just don't want to spend it working at home. We try to get out together were no one will find us. Take the dog for a long walk some were. Go for a trip in the province who knows.

I would love to hire some one to come in once in a while to help keep the place tidy. Dishes are not a problem. We have a dish washer, and the wife hates when friends want to help with the dishes after a get together. She is very fussy about that. (That's her mother in her GOD help me!!)

Last edited by oasis; 09-09-2009 at 01:11 PM..
Old 09-10-2009

To each their own. Yes, it is a choice I suppose, to be lazy and not clean up after yourself. (My daughter does not get that choice though :P) And yes like you said and I also said previously, it gives someone a job to go to. So it is a win win situation...(as long as I don't have to go into their dirty homes)

I am a very clean person and I can be very maticulous about it. Growing up, I have been in some friend's homes that were beyond filthy, filled with junk, food, animal feces, clothes and garbage piled every where, floors, closets, tables, beds, etc. That, is pure laziness and there is no excuse for that. I find it disgusting to be that lazy & dirty and it is a health hazard to boot. I think people like this should be ashamed of themselves.

I actually had a friend who's home looked exactly like what I described above. She lived home with her Mom, Dad and sister when we were kids. I was 11 years old at this time. I was invited to stay the night. I said yes, but talked my friend into me helping her to clean her room. I wasn't gonna stay all night if she had of said no. Clothes were up to my knees, there was no floor showing, just a path to her bed. No clothes hanging in her closet or folded in her dresser, it was all over the floor. I dunno how she knew what was clean, what was old and what still fit!!! It was like a deep carpet of clothes in every spot of her floor. I think we took out about 8 full green garbage bags. I cleaned petrified cat crud out from under her bed. It was nasty. Then after that I started to stay at her house more often. I then got her in the mood since I was helping her (doing most of the work), and we cleaned her parents livingroom which was WAY worse than her bedroom. You could actually see the color of the carpet when we were done. When we started it was completely covered in, well, everything... bones, clothes, papers, you name it it was there. There was a narrow path to the couch from the hall which was matted in dog hair!!!! So, you see how I get my opinions on lazines and filth. I have also known 2 women who have lost their children permenantly, due to having dirty homes just like what was decsribed at my friend's childhood home. All because they were too lazy to get up and pick up their garbage and such. Laziness can lead to a whole bunch of other problems. So if you nip it in the bud, with your housekeeper, you're doing ok. Just don't ever lose your job or your house will look like my friend's did when you can't afford to hire anyone anymore.

To be honest, I feel there are many different situations when it comes to cleanliness and housekeeping and doing your own housework. With it being so vast, I have to say there are some circumstances I'd agree with and others I would not. Busy lifestayles, health problems, etc, that sort of thing I can understand completely, just as long as you don't let it get away on you!!

My whole family are clean people. My daughter on the other hand, is lazy when it comes to picking up after herself. I cannot stand it, there is no need for it. So that is just my personal feelings about it. I was raised to be very clean, that is how I live today still, and am trying to instill that upon my child. Not everyone will grow up to be able to afford a house cleaner. Personally, I want my daughter to see that I keep a clean home and that she should as well, so that if hiring a housekeeper is not a luxury she can afford as an adult, she will still have it instilled in her to keep a clean home.

And Yes, I am what they call a clean freak. Hey, atleast I wasn't one of those clean freaks, that poo-pooed on trinity for wanting to hire a housekeeper!!! I could have been worse, Atleast I am a little flexible with my thoughts & feelings on the topic

Last edited by Pumpkin; 09-10-2009 at 09:41 AM..
Old 09-10-2009

Pumpkin I totally understand what u are saying, I honestly believe what and how we live really does mold or childern into what they will become , wether it be cleanliness, or even just a morally good with goals!! There is a line between being messy and dirty, dirty is just gross!!!!! This hole topic reminded me of a show I have been watching on TV on monday nites called HORDING, I belive its on ANE chanel 26 right after intervention! I mean yeah hording is a mental disease and after time can take over ur whole lives! If u saw how some of these people lived it would turn your stomach and really when u first meet someone you have no clue how their houses are in the inside. I sometimes think I am a neat freak aslo I hate clutter and mess and yes having two small kids it can be alittle hard sometimes but thats just me, everything has a home and a place to be put away! anyways thats just my two cents and if anyone has time watch Hording it will make u feel alot better if u find ur hoUse getting a little messy Ha HA
Old 09-10-2009

I myself have Molly Maid come, because as a child and right through to when I got married at 24 years old, my mother liked a clean house to, except that she made me do it, I got to the point after being married for 10 years that I didnt want to waste my 2 days off a week cleaning anymore, I love a clean house, I do not have alot of clutter, I don't have alot of Knick Knacks/ dust collectors all over the place. I just had enough with the cleaning. I am not lazy, I work 40 hours a week, I work out an hour or more a day, I mow my lawns in the summer and shovel in the winter, I just choose to have my house throughly cleaned top to bottom once every 2 weeks. In between those cleanings, I do clean up after myself and hubby, do laundry fold and put it away, do dishes daily, clean the bathroom sink and toilet on the off week, and keep a clean kitchen.

So no lazy is not the word to desribe me.
Old 09-10-2009

It's a luxury and no matter how much or how little $$$ you make EVERYBODY has their luxuries. Some people smoke - drink booze/coffee - go to movie theatres - restaurants - lease an $800/month car compared to a $200/month car. It's no one's business what you do with your money & anyone who thinks your stupid for doing it definately has a "stupid" luxury of their own. I see it as something you do to relieve yourself of some stress & free up some time that sssooo many of us have little of these days. Nothing lazy about that!

Last edited by macmike78; 09-10-2009 at 01:41 PM..
Old 09-10-2009

That is true, we don't smoke, drink, we do go to a restaurant once or twice a month, we have a cheap car payment, and maybe go to movies 1 every 2 or 3 months. I have hobies, hubby has hobbies
Old 09-13-2009

I say good for you! If I had the extra to get a house cleaner, I would too. I don't mind cleaning and keep a very tidy house but if I were able to free up some more time for my husband and kids, I certainly would
Old 09-13-2009
Member (< 100 posts)

I say go for it! If anyone yaps at you for spending the money on a cleaner, they are just jealous. Invite them over to help you clean LOL.
There are never enough hours in my week either, You have got me thinking.