Would you buy a home in the Old North End? General: Info & Help

i SJ: Saint John, New Brunswick  Shopping, Classifieds, Jobs, Real Estate & Rentals, Discussion, Deals, Flyers, + more!

Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online!
Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online! See all recent posts Post a new ad / message Enhanced Features  Helpdesk
Business Advertising Sign-Up (Free!) Search
iSaintJohn Home Forums Home Contact Us Site Rules Terms of Use Privacy Statement

Visit the upgraded front page of iSJ for more info!

Free Saint John Visitor's Guide

Search the web:

Go Back   Saint John Classifieds & Forums > General & Local Discussion > General: Info & Help

Old 04-01-2011
Member (100 to 500 posts)

Smile Topic: Would you buy a home in the Old North End?

Would you buy a home in the Old North End?

Would you purchase a new home in the Old North End?

If so, what type of home would you be interested in?

Are you looking for a condo, single family, duplex, triplex, town house etc.

Are you looking for a yard, laundry room, balcony, 1, 2, 3, or 4 bedrooms?

This information is very valuable because if we can do it, we are going to try to have new affordable homes built.

The Old North End is the next up and coming place to live. We are close to all amenities and have great people.
Old 04-01-2011
Long-Time Member (500+ posts)

Default Topic: Would you buy a home in the Old North End?

Family unattached. I would be interested in a yard, laundry room, balcony, possibly a fireplace / place for mantle. 4 bedroom or 3 bed with office. Not sure if we would be interested in the old north end area, but we're going to start our house hunt when our lease expires, and that is a list of things we'll be looking for. Good luck!
Old 04-01-2011

There is no reason why the old north end cannot be cleaned up and become a respectable place to live again, like it once was.
Old 04-01-2011
**Silver-Level** Paid Account

If there was one that was a no-down-payment, laundry, and off-street parking for a reasonable amount, sure I'd go there, I have no fear of the place. I just can't seem to save a down payment as a single woman, something always comes up and snatches all my savings be it big tax bill, car repair, emergency home repair, family in need etc, and since I legally owned a house before with my mother, I don't qualify as a first time homebuyer to crack open my tiny RRSPs penalty-free.
Old 04-01-2011
**Bronze-Level** Paid Account

I would never live in the Old North End again. It has to be one of, if not the worst places to live in the city. We lived there for over 5 years, and the mentality there is insane. If people speak up and try to better their neighborhood, they are label as "rats", and their windows or homes are vandalized. There is crackheads on almost every corner. Condemned or dilapidated buildings are in abundance. Drug dealers everywhere, dealing in broad daylight while children play on the sidewalk. Gunshots are a nightly occurrence and people have been known to be almost beat to death in broad daylight. Yeah great place to live with great people. Unfortunately that statement does have some merit, as it's not everyone, but the majority don't speak up or act because of fear, so the minority run the streets.
Old 04-01-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhiley_08j View Post
I would never live in the Old North End again. It has to be one of, if not the worst places to live in the city. We lived there for over 5 years, and the mentality there is insane. If people speak up and try to better their neighborhood, they are label as "rats", and their windows or homes are vandalized. There is crackheads on almost every corner. Condemned or dilapidated buildings are in abundance. Drug dealers everywhere, dealing in broad daylight while children play on the sidewalk. Gunshots are a nightly occurrence and people have been known to be almost beat to death in broad daylight. Yeah great place to live with great people. Unfortunately that statement does have some merit, as it's not everyone, but the majority don't speak up or act because of fear, so the minority run the streets.
K, so that changes my answer to a no.
Old 04-01-2011

my answer would be a no to,
Old 04-02-2011

nope, not me ever again......nothing happened to me personally......but I seen waaaaaaay too much..........mind you if they burned the whole place down all of old north end, and rebuilt...maybe....because people could be screened then....but until that happens.....only the suckers live there.
Old 04-03-2011

I would never live there, too dirty and too many run down buildings. Garbage and litter everywhere. It's bad enough I have to drive through it once or twice a month, it's disgusting and the stories I hear that come out of there make me want to stay as far away as possible. Definitely somewhere I would never raise my kids.
Old 04-04-2011
Member (< 100 posts)

Unhappy Topic: Would you buy a home in the Old North End?

north end

I was born north and my family owned a resteraunt/rooming house on the end of Main street known as Indian Town... there re so many memories there that i would love to go back....I then grew up between west and Douglas ave.. but the old north will alway have a piece of my heart .. I would buy a home there in a heartbeat if i could get help with the financing .....which being a single mom of 2 working min,wage that probably isn't happening soon ......oh well i can hope
Old 04-16-2011

One more reason to add to the list of why not to:

http://www.news889.com/news/local/ar...an-to-hospital
Old 04-17-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhiley_08j View Post
One more reason to add to the list of why not to:

http://www.news889.com/news/local/ar...an-to-hospital
Their are a lot of these that go un-reported because people are too scared to face the reprecussions. It's just not an ideal place to safely raise a family.
Old 04-17-2011
**Silver-Level** Paid Account

Well, it's all about you and what you are willing to put into it. My sister successfully raised two kids from birth to adulthood on one of what used to be the worst streets in the South End. One is now a manager with an international company and the other one works at the hospital in a technical field. None of them ever got in trouble with the law, neither have had or fathered children at random, neither do drugs....she was just firm with them from minute one, they could go out and play with the other kids on the street but they were in the house by 7 pm, every night, and in bed by 9:30 pretty much til they graduated :-) She made sure they did all homework, housework etc and no goofing around period. The whole family was sure they were going to turn out bad because of where she chose to live, which was her husband's family home. He grew up fine too, works in an office and spends his spare time gardening. Ordinary people in what was otherwise a drug-infested rattrap street full of poverty and violence. It's all in what you make it. I grew up on a mostly nice street on the west side and we had drug dealers living downstairs and didn't know it.
Old 04-21-2011

I don't even like driving through the north end! With that said, I would NEVER ever live in that part of town or near it for that matter. It's the Saint John Ghetto!
Old 04-23-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by trinity View Post
Well, it's all about you and what you are willing to put into it. My sister successfully raised two kids from birth to adulthood on one of what used to be the worst streets in the South End. One is now a manager with an international company and the other one works at the hospital in a technical field. None of them ever got in trouble with the law, neither have had or fathered children at random, neither do drugs....she was just firm with them from minute one, they could go out and play with the other kids on the street but they were in the house by 7 pm, every night, and in bed by 9:30 pretty much til they graduated :-) She made sure they did all homework, housework etc and no goofing around period. The whole family was sure they were going to turn out bad because of where she chose to live, which was her husband's family home. He grew up fine too, works in an office and spends his spare time gardening. Ordinary people in what was otherwise a drug-infested rattrap street full of poverty and violence. It's all in what you make it. I grew up on a mostly nice street on the west side and we had drug dealers living downstairs and didn't know it.

I agree 100% with what you said Trinity. However, the drug dealers and gangster wannabes don't hide what they do there. It affects everyone in the neighbourhood. You can only teach your child so much, but eventually when they are surrounded by that type of environment, the possibility of them becoming an innocent bystander is greatly enhanced.
Old 04-24-2011

Never...not even if they gave me a house..I grew up in the north end..those streets..Victoria, Bridge etc had lovely homes, great families etc...now they are totally run down..the druggies own the streets...I would be scared to death to live in the middle of all that stuff.
Old 04-25-2011

nothing wrong with rasing kids in north end all in how you raise them
Old 04-26-2011

Rhiley phrased it perfectly, I was born and raised in the north end, would never even think of going back. And it's not the houses themselves, because new ones can be built. It's the people! Plain and simple!
Old 05-03-2011
Member (< 100 posts)

People of the north end are very nice.. I've owned a house in the north end for the past six years and looking to buy another one. Property value especially on Adelaide st is soaring so you'll definitely get a nice return on your investment.
All amenities are close by with 2 schools, malls, restaurants, and a fire department.
I think what some people here may be confusing is what some "tenants" of some building are causing. But you know what.. I lived in Rothesay in an apartment building along time ago and there was as much trouble.
Old 05-31-2011

Ginger.Mocha, glad to hear something positive about a neighborhood that I love. I agree that Adelaide St. is increasing in property value. I also expect that Main St. will be increasing in value.

There are many empty lots that could be improved upon by building single family homes much like the Portland area.

Home ownership will help the neighborhood a lot because people will take pride in their property. Many of the buildings in the Old North End are run down and that reflects on the people.