school supply sharing Jobs & Education

i SJ: Saint John, New Brunswick  Shopping, Classifieds, Jobs, Real Estate & Rentals, Discussion, Deals, Flyers, + more!

Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online!
Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online! See all recent posts Post a new ad / message Enhanced Features  Helpdesk
Business Advertising Sign-Up (Free!) Search
iSaintJohn Home Forums Home Contact Us Site Rules Terms of Use Privacy Statement

Visit the upgraded front page of iSJ for more info!

Free Saint John Visitor's Guide

Search the web:

Go Back   Saint John Classifieds & Forums > Other Discussion > Jobs & Education

Old 08-14-2010
Member (100 to 500 posts)

Default Topic: school supply sharing

school supply sharing

Am I the only parent who does not like the "sharing" of the school supplies? I took our daughter out today and she wanted to pick out specific things she likes. Because these would be put in a "community" basket, I didn't let her because she would be disappointed when someone else got them.
Last year, I had sent in good quality items and as she brought things home during the year, probably about half of it were cheap items that didn't last and broke.
This year our second daughter is starting school and we only need to send in money. The teacher will purchase the items and pass out as needed. I don't mind that at all because at least I know that everyone will be getting the same.
I understand the reasoning behind it, that kids who normally do without will not half to, but the truth is we are able to provide for our kids but are not well off. It can be an expensive time of the year and when I am being asked to provide extras in case someone else doesn't have them, I find that frustrating!!
Sorry if I have offended anyone, I honestly don't mean to.
Old 08-15-2010

I dont like the idea of sharing either, because like you I buy good quality things and my children brought home crap! This year 2 of my kids have to bring in money instead and I dont mind that.
Old 08-15-2010
Long-Time Member (500+ posts)

I wish my pumpkin had to take in money. I do and don't like the sharing. When I was growing up, we went without a lot, and it wasn't even because my parents couldn't afford things; they just had wrong priorities.
I don't mind buying extra at all because we're in a position to do so. My big problem ( which seems to be the norm) is that I want to buy my daughter nice things.
Old 08-15-2010

Same with my sister. She said she would rather send money in to help kids that can not afford things instead so that her daughter could have her "own stuff".

She refuses to combine her children's things and has told the school that as well. As a parent that IS her prerogative as well. I agree with that.
Old 08-16-2010

My daughter is starting middle school in the fall, and the list specifically said "do not put names on scribblers, duotangs and kleenex"...well, her name IS going on everything...I spent good money for these supplies for her, not for someone who buys the cheaper things. I buy Hilroy notebooks and am not going to have her going through the year using dollar store notebooks. I might come off as sounding snobby, but I buy things for my child, not the rest of the school. My niece is in Grade 3 and had red pens on her list....what grade 3'er uses red pens? I think the teacher wants the red pens. Its getting worse instead of better!!
Old 08-16-2010

Our daughter is going in grade two and we have had to send in 12 pens each year so far! One year, we had to send in phto copy paper too.
Old 08-16-2010

are we allowed to post which schools appear to be the worse when it comes to this "sharing" as my oldest daughter will be headed to school next year and I will NOT be buying things for other kids, and obviously will be avoiding certain schools based on this an other criteria
Old 08-17-2010

I think most schools are doing it now, unfortunately!
Old 08-17-2010

Most schools are doing this and I don't agree with it either. My daughter's school also request's certain brands of glue, marker's, pencil's ect..
Old 08-20-2010

My kids did the 'send money' one year, and we ended up replenishing pretty much the whole school supply list we would normally receive the first of the year - in the middle of the year, so this year they sent home school supply lists... I want my children to have nice things but can't send them. I understand that some children don't get the things my kids could - for whatever reason... but, I don't think its fair, as growing up - we had our 'own' stuff.
Old 08-23-2010

I don't understand why this becomes such an issue. If my child requires specific items for school, then as a parent I purchase the items for MY child. If the school requests money, then that is supplied. If a family is in need there are several organizations that will help with this cost. (heck, I would even purchase supplies for a child in need) Stop "pooling" school supplies, it is wrong! IMO
Old 08-23-2010

even if you do put the names on it the teachers just cross them out.. My niece came home with a kids notebook last year with the kids name crossed out in it.. it sucks i dont understand why cant they just ask for donations or something.
Old 08-23-2010

Speaking of sharing lol,,,, does anyone have the grade 7 list for Barnhill?