ICT good or bad? Jobs & Education

i SJ: Saint John, New Brunswick  Shopping, Classifieds, Jobs, Real Estate & Rentals, Discussion, Deals, Flyers, + more!

Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online!
Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online! See all recent posts Post a new ad / message Enhanced Features  Helpdesk
Business Advertising Sign-Up (Free!) Search
iSaintJohn Home Forums Home Contact Us Site Rules Terms of Use Privacy Statement

Visit the upgraded front page of iSJ for more info!

Free Saint John Visitor's Guide

Search the web:

Go Back   Saint John Classifieds & Forums > Other Discussion > Jobs & Education

Old 10-20-2008
Long-Time Member (500+ posts)

Default Topic: ICT good or bad?

ICT good or bad?

ICT the call center, any working there? If so what are your opinions? looking to go back to work after my wife goes on maternity leave so just keeping options open, id like to do something else but without a piece of paper that says i can im stuck with call centers so lets hear some feedback
Old 10-20-2008
**Bronze-Level** Paid Account

I worked there back in 98 when they were in Hilyard Place. For the most part it wasn't a bad place to work. They were stats driven, and dealt mainly with insurance, and the occasional credit card campaign or phone plans. At the time the center in Saint John was their highest performing center and then we became union certified and everything went to crap. The company was hugely anti-union and when their center in Maine was looking at certification as well, they decided to make an example out of the Saint John center. They shut us down with minimal notice and said that the reasoning behind it was productivity, which was total BS.

So if you are looking for a company that wants you to work but doesn't want to give you anything in return, such as pensions, health plans, etc..., which is the majority of most companies out there, then its not really that bad. I myself though will never work for an employer again that does not want to reward me for years of work by giving me something I can carry with me into the future. That's just me though, everyone needs to earn a living, but just remember that you also deserve something in return for you servitude.
Old 10-20-2008

so they dont even offer medical benefits? there ad on the HRDC site said medical so thats the only reason i was interested due to having one and a half kids, its kinda mandatory
Old 10-20-2008
Member (100 to 500 posts)

A friend of mine worked for ICT when they were in Hilyard Place she would have agreed with Riley if you had asked her a few years ago. She has been working at the new ICT since last November and loves it. She says it is nothing like the old company and yes there are health benefits and incentives. She has gotten 2 pay raises since being hired, she says the staff and management are great to work with. This lady has had her share of call centers and in her opinion this is the best by far. I don't know how many campaigns they have to offer or if they are just working with Bell Mobility exclusively.
Old 10-21-2008
Member (100 to 500 posts)

Send a message via MSN to andrea Send a message via Yahoo to andrea

so far its only bell...i love ict...been their since april and they are a good bunch of people....for real...good call center!!!
Old 10-31-2008
Member (< 100 posts)

Ict might be a good place to work (people, incentives, etc) but not for what you have to do.

Bear in mind that the job duties is client retention with some sales component added to it.
Client calls/is transfered to cancel the service (most of the times irate) and the csr duty is to prevent the client from cancelling and at the same time sell or upsell something.
In other words it is a very stressfull job.
If you dont like confrontation or if you are not a sales person this is not for you.
Old 11-01-2008

ya ive done sales an retention before an im very good at both, i actually got hired by a place called DealerMine on rothesay ave an i think im gonna love it, thnx for all the thoughts though
Old 09-16-2009
Member (< 100 posts)

be careful at Dealermine, I have heard some not so nice things about there and I guess you need to really watch your back.