Fleas and mice in my workplace! What do we do? Jobs & Education

i SJ: Saint John, New Brunswick  Shopping, Classifieds, Jobs, Real Estate & Rentals, Discussion, Deals, Flyers, + more!

Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online!
Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online! See all recent posts Post a new ad / message Enhanced Features  Helpdesk
Business Advertising Sign-Up (Free!) Search
iSaintJohn Home Forums Home Contact Us Site Rules Terms of Use Privacy Statement

Visit the upgraded front page of iSJ for more info!

Free Saint John Visitor's Guide

Search the web:

Go Back   Saint John Classifieds & Forums > Other Discussion > Jobs & Education

Old 09-24-2007
Member (< 100 posts)

Default Topic: Cell Centres Question

Cell Centres Question

Does anyone know about call centres and university students. I've heard wyndham is flexible with hours and will pay your tuition or something and i've heard eddie bauer has student hours or something. If anyone knows anything about it, anything would be appreciated.
Old 09-25-2007

I personally have not heard anything about call centers paying tuition. Kind of makes no sense, because you probably would not be staying there after you finish school anyway, so why invest in your future. I do know that some call centres will let you work around your school hours. If I were you, I would contact the various call centers you are interested in and get the information from them. This is better than second hand news. Good Luck
Old 09-25-2007
Member (100 to 500 posts)

Yes...Some do

The last CC I worked at (again, not in SJ) did that....they would pay for your tution....IF....the courses you were taking could better you within the company...ie. HR courses, Business....however there was a lot of red tape and you had to have a certain average....I think it went something like if you ended up with a mark of 60% they paid nothing....70% they paid 50% ....80% they paid 75%....I think it was 85% + they paid 100%

Don't quote me on these numbers....just rough estimates of what I can remember....I do believe you paid upfront and then at the end of year they reimburssed you.

I think you had to remain with the company for 2-5yrs after graduation in order not not have to pay them back.

Also I guess they did this on the assumption that you may not stay with the company for life....but if you were looking to better yourself and move up within their company they wanted to help.

Usually these are very large companies....worldwide....with a lot more businesses than CC's under their name.

Oh and as far as hours for students....generally....CC's will work around a students hours....can't speak for all them....but I believe most will make an attempt.
Old 09-25-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustWatching View Post
The last CC I worked at (again, not in SJ) did that....they would pay for your tution....IF....the courses you were taking could better you within the company...ie. HR courses, Business....however there was a lot of red tape and you had to have a certain average....I think it went something like if you ended up with a mark of 60% they paid nothing....70% they paid 50% ....80% they paid 75%....I think it was 85% + they paid 100%

Don't quote me on these numbers....just rough estimates of what I can remember....I do believe you paid upfront and then at the end of year they reimburssed you.

I think you had to remain with the company for 2-5yrs after graduation in order not not have to pay them back.

Also I guess they did this on the assumption that you may not stay with the company for life....but if you were looking to better yourself and move up within their company they wanted to help.

Usually these are very large companies....worldwide....with a lot more businesses than CC's under their name.

Oh and as far as hours for students....generally....CC's will work around a students hours....can't speak for all them....but I believe most will make an attempt.
I believe they were asking about part time work to allow them to still attend university, in which case the call centres or any other company for that matter would pay nothing towards tuition.

Most companies will help with tuition if you are full time and they know you plan to stay and make a career with them.
Old 09-25-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Dave View Post
I believe they were asking about part time work to allow them to still attend university, in which case the call centres or any other company for that matter would pay nothing towards tuition.

Most companies will help with tuition if you are full time and they know you plan to stay and make a career with them.
Oh...Part Time...well thats a different story....no I don't think there would be any willing to do that.

Sorry...guess I misunderstood the question
Old 09-26-2007

I work at the Irving contact center and I'm a part time university student. Once I had the job, they had me send them my school schedule and they booked my hours around it so they don't clash. They also have a program where if what your studying in school relates to the company (ex: like business courses, etc) then they have some sort of a tuition reimbursement program. I don't know what exactly the guidelines are though because I didn't qualify because my studies have nothing to do with my job but its the highest paying call center I found in the city.
Old 09-26-2007
Member (< 100 posts)

I know that one of the inbound programs in NCO did that as well. I have a friend that worked for MSN and he brought in his work schedule and they worked around it for him.
Old 09-27-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMem View Post
I work at the Irving contact center and I'm a part time university student. Once I had the job, they had me send them my school schedule and they booked my hours around it so they don't clash. They also have a program where if what your studying in school relates to the company (ex: like business courses, etc) then they have some sort of a tuition reimbursement program. I don't know what exactly the guidelines are though because I didn't qualify because my studies have nothing to do with my job but its the highest paying call center I found in the city.
Most centres will do this, as for helping with tuition, I believe you would need to be full time and giving some sort of guarantee that you are going to stay after the studies are done.
Old 09-27-2007

I know at Eddie Bauer you can opt for weekends only, if you're a student.
Old 09-29-2007

Smile Topic: Cell Centres Question

Call Centers and Tuition

I used to work at Wyndham and yes they do pay your tuition and yes they do have flexible hours...I believe as a student you had to work something like 29 hours a week and if Im not mistaken one of them had to be an 8 hr on Sat or Sun. I think that is how it went and they did pay your tuition according to your marks...the better your marks...the more they paid...go online and look it up on their website...it should be there somewhere...Good Luck
Old 10-05-2007
Long-Time Member (500+ posts)

Post Topic: Cell Centres Question

www.wyndhamworldwidecanada.com

Vix
Old 10-05-2007

This is true.. At my work.. It depends on what you make for marks.. On what they will pay.. And its something like 12-18 months of service afterwards.. Not sure on the exact length.. But its something like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Dave View Post
Most centres will do this, as for helping with tuition, I believe you would need to be full time and giving some sort of guarantee that you are going to stay after the studies are done.
Old 10-08-2007

Yes Wyndham does work around school schedules, and yes they do pay for tuitions. and no it does not have to be work related, one of my old supervisors was studing to be a doctor (neurolagist), worked there for 4 or 5 years, and he never paid a dime for his tuitions, he did work full time also, we was very well respected at work, and it was sad to see him leave, but he had a heavy school load, and just could not handle both anymore.
Old 10-22-2007
New Member (< 10 posts)

If you are going into the interview with the employer knowing you are a student and that you need flexible hours... they will no doubt work around you. I know that NCO is currently looking for people and are paying a nice sign on bonus.
Old 10-23-2007
Member (< 100 posts)

If you are looking for call center work while going to school, I would avoid Sitel. I interviewed there and mentioned to them that I was doing distance education, which i do on my own time, and would schedule around whatever job I would be working. The one interviewing me was insistent that they were not able to accomodate students. I could not make them understand that I didnt need any accomodation. That was what my whole interview consisted of. How they couldnt accomodate part time schedules. Any company that doesn't support its workers in furthering their education makes me wonder.
Old 10-23-2007

Eddie Bauer

I heard yesterday on the radio that EB is looking for people...with a sign on bonus of $400 (I believe)....

You can walk in and apply....seems like they're always hiring....not sure if they're just really busy or having a hard time finding (keeping?) people....but that is an option for you...
Old 10-24-2007

EB does this every year for Christmas overflow.
Old 10-24-2007

Yes that is probably it...I mean the reason for the sign on bonus....but seems like I've been hearing for probably 8months or so about EB hiring (walk in interviews)....
Old 10-24-2007

Sitel does accomodate student schedules, for some anyways. (I work at Sitel) The girl next to me was working full time when she started, and is now part time and works around her school schedule.
Our work is doing a bonus, if you apply and use an already existing worker as your referral, that eprson will get 500$ if you stay for 3 months. as well, right now since we are so hurting for people, if you just apply and have a referral, that person auto gets a 20$ gift card for walmart...so if anyone wants to apply and use my name as a referral, please do so lol