LF info on back pain causes :: Saint John, NB - Health & Wellness

Saint John, New Brunswick  Shopping, Classifieds, Jobs, Real Estate & Rentals, Discussion, Deals, Flyers, + more!

Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online!
Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online! See all recent posts Post a new ad / message Enhanced Features  Helpdesk
Business Advertising Sign-Up (Free!) Search
iSaintJohn Home Forums Home Contact Us Site Rules Terms of Use Privacy Statement

Special iSJ Features: 
Shopping Mall
Links to dozens of sites
Online Flyers
Links to flyers for Sobeys, Superstore, Sears, drugstores, & many more retailers.
iSJ Paid Advertising
It's easy, effective, & affordable. Reach thousands of people for as little as $5.55 per week!
Search the web:

Featured Advertiser:

Naturally for Life - the eco store (NOW OPEN)! We offer an excellent selection of eco-friendly and fair-trade products, knowledge, and superior customer service!

Advertise Here

Go Back   Saint John Classifieds & Forums > Other Discussion > Health & Wellness

Old 02-17-2011
**Silver-Level** Paid Account

Default Topic: LF info on back pain causes

LF info on back pain causes

For the past year I have had a problem with my back severely cramping up. Whenever I stand for too long, walk, or work out for longer than about 30 minutes, my lower back on the left side goes numb, and then my left thigh goes numb.When that happens, I bend, touch the floor and stretch out my arms and i feel something POP in my back, up high near my shoulder blades. Then I get the feeling back for a while. This is what I have tried:

Back pain pills
Hot baths, steam room at gym
Advil liqui- gels, Tylenol arthritis, Aleve
Tried working out with a personal trainer for 2 months to get my fitness level up
Bought a massage belt thing that thumps and vibrates
Bought a water jet pad for in the tub that creates jets kind of like a jacuzzi
Bought Dr Scholls shoe inserts, both gel and non-gel kind
Bought memory foam for my bed
Tried different heights of pillows
Started taking glucosamine
Got work to buy me a new chair that was higher and had a back support and wider arms to accommodate my plus size.
Went to a 5-day-long yoga retreat where I did yoga twice a day
Maxed out my health care benefits in 3 months seeing first a massage therapist and then a chiropractor

The net result of everything I have tried is ZERO. No weight loss, no improved flexibility, no pain-free moments. There was no discernible injury in particular that might have caused this. I am overweight, but I have been all my life, and there has been no significant increase in my weight for about 10 years. (no decrease either unfortunately)

My benefits for the year have reset as of Jan 1, but I am not willing to just jump back into what did not work before. Both the massage therapist and the chiropractor visits felt great whenever I went, but there was no overall improvement in my back.

I just want some options and ideas on what might be causing this. I'm tired of being in pain and not feeling like walking Harbour Passage. I walked the 5 Mile Marathon by the sea last August and the Bleeping volunteers kept pulling up beside me and offering me drives back to the bleeping finish line, because I was in so much pain. I refused them all but it really annoyed me that 5 different people didn't feel I could finish the race because of what they saw. 18 months ago I was certified as physically fit enough to be considered for the armed forces; today I would avoid walking from the bottom of King St to the top. And please don't ask the question "have you seen your doctor?" - who do you think had me trying some of this stuff? I'm tired of going here and going there and buying this and trying that.

Last edited by trinity; 02-18-2011 at 12:08 AM..
Old 02-19-2011
Member (100 to 500 posts)

If your Dr's name is Darrell, or even if it isn't, try another Dr
Old 02-19-2011
Member (100 to 500 posts)

There could be a number of causes and you need the right tests to find out what it is.

Ask you doctor to send you for an x-ray (this can detect narrowing in the disk spaces, indicating osteoarthritis, or degenerative disk disease) as well as an MRI - this can sometimes detect soft issue problems or a herniated disk. Your doctor can also have blood work done which can indicate if you have arthritis factors which suggest arthritis as the cause.

I think that the treatment that will help is going to depend on the cause. In any case, getting a few physio sessions to learn how to strengthen your core can't be a bad idea (there so much more to it than sit ups). Good luck.
Old 02-20-2011
Long-Time Member (500+ posts)

I have issues sometimes cause I stand for work all day and was told to sleep with a pillow between my knees on my side and that helps immensely, but not sure if it would help you but hopefully will ease your pain a bit. good luck.

Vix
Old 02-21-2011

I tried the pillow thing last night and my back feels pretty good. (except now my ankles and feet hurt :-), but that's probably from helping a friend move this weekend, all the small, light things in his place with lots of trips back and forth to the car. And I need to buy pajamas, because a pillow doesn't stay put well if all you have are nighties. Boy, will I be p'd if I have been hurting for 10 months and this is all I needed to do.
Old 02-21-2011

I tried the pillow thing last night and my back feels pretty good. (except now my ankles and feet hurt :-), but that's probably from helping a friend move this weekend, all the small, light things in his place with lots of trips back and forth to the car. And I need to buy pajamas, because a pillow doesn't stay put well if all you have are nighties. Boy, will I be p'd if I have been hurting for 10 months and this is all I needed to do.
Old 02-21-2011

Well that's awesome. Yea nighties don't work so hot with the pillow, I just wear shorts and a tank. If you turn on your back put your legs on the pillow from the knees down, but I get the best sleep on my side with the pillow in between Let me know how you make out.

Vix
Old 02-23-2011

I have not worked for 12 years due to a back injury so I knoe back pain well. I sleep on my side with a thick firm pillow between my knees. When I roll on my back I roll the pillow under my knees. When you place the pillow between your knees you straighten your spine and when you place it under your knees you flatten your spine and both positions help support your lower back. Core strenghtening is wonderful however NEVER and I mean never bend over to touch your toes with your knees straight. Never. If you have lower back problems this is one of the several movements that will make it much worse. It is a wonderful exercise if you do not have back problems. Unfortunately I learned this thr hard way. I joined the gym beside the dollar store and hired a personal trainor a few years ago. he assured me he had all the certificates and was well versed in training people with bad backs. I told him I could not do the bendoing over thing. After a few weeks he told me to try it it would be alright. Against my better judgement I did and then spent the next 3 weeks in bed. When I went back to my orothopod and told him he said that is one movement to never do.
Old 02-23-2011
Member (< 100 posts)

I too suffer from neck and lower back pain and my Dr suggested I get the book "A Consultation with the Back Doctor"......Hamilton Hall, M.D. whom is a surgeon in Toronto Ontario. He said there are exercises in the book to help with back pain. I have purchased the book but have not finished reading it
Old 02-26-2011

Day 6 of pillow between or under my knees-today I shoveled my own driveway, something I have not been able to do for the past two or three winters. Not the whole driveway (that sucker is 50 ft long!) , but enough to get two cars in. I tried napping for 4 hrs one day without the pillow and the pain started to come back. This is why I come to forums like this, I knew someone had to have experienced it and could suggest what worked for them, thanks.

(doesn't mean next winter I won't be looking to buy a snowblower, because I have more fun things to waste my energy on, but at least I know I CAN do it if I HAVE to)

Last edited by trinity; 02-26-2011 at 12:25 PM..
Old 03-07-2011

Great to hear Trinity, hope your back continues to improve!!!! Take care.

Vix