Fighter jet flying over Saint John / Rothesay on Friday, Sept 25 - What was up with that? Local Topics

i SJ: Saint John, New Brunswick  Shopping, Classifieds, Jobs, Real Estate & Rentals, Discussion, Deals, Flyers, + more!

Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online!
Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online! See all recent posts Post a new ad / message Enhanced Features  Helpdesk
Business Advertising Sign-Up (Free!) Search
iSaintJohn Home Forums Home Contact Us Site Rules Terms of Use Privacy Statement

Visit the upgraded front page of iSJ for more info!

Free Saint John Visitor's Guide

Search the web:

Go Back   Saint John Classifieds & Forums > General & Local Discussion > Local Topics

Old 09-25-2010
Member (< 100 posts)

Question Topic: Fighter jet flying over Saint John / Rothesay on Friday, Sept 25 - What was up with that?

Fighter jet flying over Saint John / Rothesay on Friday, Sept 25 - What was up with that?

Yesterday just before 5pm, I heard a loud rumbling sound that I realized was from a plane... it went on for a while, which was unusual, so I went to the window to look outside.

I thought maybe it was just a passenger jet looping around the airport, but then I saw a fighter jet zoom by in the distance

Anyone have any more info on that?

It was flying rather low too... my guesstimate would be like 500 metres (the CN Tower's height)... Or maybe it was a lot higher than that (hard to tell with how fast it zoomed by), but it was pretty low for a plane in any case.
Old 09-25-2010
Member (< 100 posts)

Default Topic: Fighter jet flying over Saint John / Rothesay on Friday, Sept 25 - What was up with that?

I think it just happened again... I could hear a plane rumbling around for about a minute or more, but it's too cloudy right now to see much in the sky.
Old 09-25-2010
Long-Time Member (500+ posts)

Default Topic: Fighter jet flying over Saint John / Rothesay on Friday, Sept 25 - What was up with that?

In what area? Rothesay or Saint John?
Old 09-25-2010
Member (< 100 posts)

I'm near Rothesay High School, but the plane was in the east, seemingly over the area somewhere around Rothesay Common or around the Kennebecasis River over there, and it looked like it was heading into east Saint John.

That was when I saw it yesterday, and it was only for a second as it zoomed by (and then it left right after that). Judging by how long the sound had gone on, I think it must have been around a lot of the general Rothesay / east Saint John area... and probably even a wider area, with how fast and far those planes can go.

Last edited by raptor; 09-25-2010 at 03:45 PM..
Old 09-26-2010

I didnt have time to run out and see it Raptor, but my son was out and said it was doing loops and such. My house actually shock and I thought it was going to land on my roof!!!! It even made my dog go crazy, lol. I am in Rothesay.
Old 09-26-2010

Yep. I live under the direect pathway to the airport and it flew right over my house several times. My son was quite impressed with it but I am not really a fan of fighter jets. I was raised near a SAC base and grew up with them so am harder to impress I guess.
Old 09-27-2010
Member (100 to 500 posts)

It was going a "Fly Over" for the CFL game in moncton!!
Old 09-27-2010
Member (100 to 500 posts)

http://telegraphjournal.canadaeast.c...rticle/1235930

Quote:
SAINT JOHN - If you thought you were dreaming when you saw a fighter jet criss-cross the Saint John skies over the weekend, you weren't.
Previous

It was a real-life CF-18, the same one used in the movie Top Gun.

But it wasn't Tom Cruise at the controls.

It was Rothesay's own Eval Sudul, a 25-year-old who is realizing a life-long dream to become a fighter pilot.