Baby help! General: Info & Help

i SJ: Saint John, New Brunswick  Shopping, Classifieds, Jobs, Real Estate & Rentals, Discussion, Deals, Flyers, + more!

Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online!
Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online! See all recent posts Post a new ad / message Enhanced Features  Helpdesk
Business Advertising Sign-Up (Free!) Search
iSaintJohn Home Forums Home Contact Us Site Rules Terms of Use Privacy Statement

Visit the upgraded front page of iSJ for more info!

Free Saint John Visitor's Guide

Search the web:

Go Back   Saint John Classifieds & Forums > General & Local Discussion > General: Info & Help

Old 01-18-2011
Long-Time Member (500+ posts)

Default Topic: Baby help!

Baby help!

My 2 and a half year old daughter does NOT want to sleep at night. For the past month we have been having issues with getting her down initially. Now that we have that under control, it seems as though once we go to bed, she wakes soon after that. I have tried light sounds upstairs, lights in her room, stars. We have gone in, laid with her, sang her songs, read her books, and nothing seems to keep her down. We can get her calmed, but soon after we leave the room she starts again. Does ANYONE have ANY suggestions for me here? I am exhausted! My boyfriend and oldest daughter are as well. Please help!
Old 01-18-2011

What time does she go to bed / wake up?
Old 01-18-2011

During the week she is in bed no later than 7. She is up at about 730 in the morning. Which is usually a fight because she has spent the better part of the night prior crying. Her and her sister have always been very routined. Her sister is 8 and goes to bed at 730 every night.. They both need their sleep. She is acting as though she is having nightmares or something. im just at a loss as to what to do.
Old 01-18-2011

I have noooo idea. The same was happening to my son this summer. He was going to bed at 8 - 830 and now goes at 7 again and sleeps the night again.

I wish I could help, it's SO frustrating I can empathize.
Old 01-18-2011

Well i just warned everyone. If i dont come to work tomorrow.. Its cause im in jail for elbow dropping a 2 year old. lol
Old 01-18-2011

its possible she could be going through a growth spurt, and from past memory's they hurt... alot. As much of a pain as it is have you tried bringing her into your bed? We've had to do that with my 2 year old some times, and my 4 year old will still wake up at random and then be up all night( like last night waking up at 2am and watching tv until I turned it off at 5am lol). Maybe if its possible try keeping her up a bit later to try and tire her out more. How is she during the day ( other then tired and cranky lol)?
Old 01-18-2011
Member (< 100 posts)

My daughter did the same thing about that age - turned out she was hungry. Have you tried a high protein snack before bed? I did some cheese and crackers - seemed to work.
Old 01-20-2011
Member (100 to 500 posts)

I had trouble with my daughter for the same issue...some kids just simply need a later bedtime than others. Just like adults, some kids do not require the same amount of sleep as others. Every child is different. Does she still nap in the day? If so, have you tried cutting down or eliminating her naps?
Old 01-30-2011

A 2 year old requires around 10-13 hours of sleep to maintain a healthy lifestyle. That being said, at 2 our kiddies are becoming there own little person, and with that comes attitude and control. There are not many things they can control at that age but sleeping is one of them. Just be patient, and firm, let your little one know that bedtime is time to sleep, and eventually they will get it.
PS. Cheese does contain protein, but more fat than protein, and of course food coloring depending on the kind. I would opt for fruit, or peanutbutter and crackers if you thought hunger was the problem at night.