Here's a Question Food & Dining

i SJ: Saint John, New Brunswick  Shopping, Classifieds, Jobs, Real Estate & Rentals, Discussion, Deals, Flyers, + more!

Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online!
Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online! See all recent posts Post a new ad / message Enhanced Features  Helpdesk
Business Advertising Sign-Up (Free!) Search
iSaintJohn Home Forums Home Contact Us Site Rules Terms of Use Privacy Statement

Visit the upgraded front page of iSJ for more info!

Free Saint John Visitor's Guide

Search the web:

Go Back   Saint John Classifieds & Forums > Other Discussion > Food & Dining

Old 11-17-2010
Member (100 to 500 posts)

Default Topic: Here's a Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jilly-Bean View Post
tara... I am very smart thank you. I am also considerate of others. I think that a parent that takes their young children to a fine dining restaurant has some pretty serious entitlement issues and yes, the owner has every right to tell those idiots NO CHILDREN.('cause they can't figure it out on their own) As I said age appropiate experiences in age appropiate venues. If you can't figure that out stay home!
Here is my post, nowhere did I call any one person an idiot nor did I say everyone who has children are idiots.
Old 11-17-2010
Long-Time Member (500+ posts)

My reference to idiots and nitwits was that I had stated that I have more often been annoyed by adult idiots than I ever have by childern. The reference was aimed at adults who annoy me in fine restaurants with their loud talking, loud cell phone conversations and drunken foolishness.

As for me with my sons, they were always very well behaved in public and I could and did take them everywhere. My sons were not relegated to burger and pizza jpoints. With the exception of local pubs after 9, if I was welcome, my sons were welcome. I hace never encountered a problem taking my sons anywhere.

Last edited by inuit; 11-17-2010 at 06:13 PM..
Old 11-17-2010

If this discussion is to continue, stop with the personal attacks and insults. No further warning will be issued.
Old 11-17-2010

My god get a grip!! I think all the naysayers should start reading other people posts more carefully!

I fully understand Jilly's question and there's no reason why anyone should get their nose out of joint. Jilly is not personally attacking anyone, she used her wording generally speaking.

I don't have any children but my husband does, just had to stick that in there so no one would think I am a child hater. I expect to find children and their parents when I go into Boston Pizza, Jungle Jim's, Pizza Delight, Montana's etc the list is endless, because there are many family restaurants in Saint John. Infact most restaurants in Saint John are family restaurants. Even the Falls restaurant is considered a family restaurant, but there are rarely kids in there which I happen to enjoy. If I'm in the mood to go to one of the above mentioned restaurants I expect it to be loud and noisy but if I'm in the mood to go some place quiet where its just adults then I should be allowed and do not tell me to stay home because I have every right to enjoy and evening without some else's kids screaming.
Not every restaurant has to be or should be kid oriented, its nice once in awhile for parents to go on their own without their children and that is what this thread is all about. Don't turn it into anything else.
Old 11-17-2010

I don't think kids should be banned from any restaurant that is discrimination. I do think that it is the responsibility of the person who is working at the restaurant to seat families closer to each other and seat single/couple people closer together. It only makes sense to do this. I also think that parents need to be more responsible for their kids. When I'm out on a date with my fiance, as cute as your kid is, I really don't want her hanging out at our table. This has happened to me many times with kids I don't know and the parents just let them wander. I have a daughter and I have no problem taking her out to a restaurant. I don't mind being seated near kids when I'm out with her because it's more a family night thing when I'm with her. And she doesn't wander. Well she is 12 now but even when she was younger I taught her manners.
Old 11-17-2010

I do wonder if cell phones should be banned from restaurants? I don't mind you answering your phone but if you are going to have a major chat about your trip to the doctor cause your kid had diarrhea and was throwing up all day while I'm eating then I'm gonna have issues with you and yes this is a true story!
Old 11-17-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by dally View Post
its nice once in awhile for parents to go on their own without their children and that is what this thread is all about. Don't turn it into anything else.
Quote:
Do you think restaurants should ban babies/children from their establishments?

This thread was not about parents going out for a night without there children. The opening phrase does not specify fancy restaurants, nor "adult" establishments. It says restaurants. And there is no back story on it, nor explanation for it, thats why everyone has taken it the way they have.
Old 11-17-2010

dpage, there are many family style restaurants that are geared towards families. The restaurant layout is such that can accommodate strollers and highchairs. The bathrooms are equipped with changing area, they offer child friendly food with a children's menu. Obviously I was not referring to family restaurants but to higher end restaurants.
Old 11-17-2010

essentially what you referenced, and what you stated were not the same. What it boils down to is restaurants make money by serving food to clients, and kids eat food too. There more likely to make more from a family of 4 coming in with 2 kids then they are from a couple on a date. Food is a necessary commodity and therefore cannot be refused based on there age. That would be no different then saying that seniors can be banned based on there lowered immune system because they may inffect other patrons. Its not reasonable, and very offensive. If a child is well behaved there is no reason to not allow them anywhere that serves food.
If there main sales are from alcohol then clearly a child should not be there, but if food is there main seller, whether there are high-chairs, or booster seats, or kids menu's they can not be refused.
Old 11-18-2010
**Silver-Level** Paid Account

I think we are NOT talking about people with well-behaved children. Obviously the writer and several other people in this thread have experienced a situation where they were paying big money for what should have been a nice intimate dinner in a classy atmosphere, and ended up with an experience that should only be had in McDonalds on pay day. We've all had it, and for me for example, I do NOT go to BP or ESM unless I am in a great mood already, if someone is taking me out to make me feel better or me them then these places are NOT for me. I have worked every day for the last 11. For 6 of those my mom has been in hospital. If I go for an unwinding dinner out tomorrow night, I do NOT want to be treated to crying, running, or fighting at the next table or I'm going to LOSE IT.
Old 11-18-2010

Well put trinity... thank you.
Old 11-18-2010

I do not mind kids at anytime/anywhere as long as they are under control and well behaved.

But I do grind my teeth if they are out of control while dinning. I also loathe em when I am on a plane continuously kicking or pushing the back of my seat on a plane.

I think some parents are numb to the fact when their kids are disturbing others. Because they hear their kids all day at home and become unaware of the level of disturbance being caused to those not use to kids or trying to get a break from their own.

Perhaps banning the parents from the restaurant for causing a disturbance or failure to control the little darlings is more appropriate =)

Then the parents may get the clue on appropriate behavior of their kids in a dinning restaurant.
Old 12-08-2010

as a father of 2 boys 13 and 3 , we go to family places. now my wife and i are going out friday night, without kids, so where are these fine dinning places, with no kids, i,d like to try it
Old 12-08-2010

I like Church's steakhouse myself