Dilema help needed Jobs & Education

i SJ: Saint John, New Brunswick  Shopping, Classifieds, Jobs, Real Estate & Rentals, Discussion, Deals, Flyers, + more!

Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online!
Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online! See all recent posts Post a new ad / message Enhanced Features  Helpdesk
Business Advertising Sign-Up (Free!) Search
iSaintJohn Home Forums Home Contact Us Site Rules Terms of Use Privacy Statement

Visit the upgraded front page of iSJ for more info!

Free Saint John Visitor's Guide

Search the web:

Go Back   Saint John Classifieds & Forums > Other Discussion > Jobs & Education

Old 03-02-2009
Member (100 to 500 posts)

Default Topic: Dilema help needed

Dilema help needed

So I just started a full time job on friday.I wanted this job and the hours are what i want (mon-fri 8-5)as well.however come to find out the pay is a lot lower than i had expected.Now there is oppurtunity for raises fairly quickly in this company and all the employees love working there.
I have also been offered another job with a different company that pays $2 more an hour and is also full time but hours vary such as evenings,weekends.I believe i will like this job as well.
My dilema is which job to go with.Do i go for more money and not the best hours or bad money and great hours.I am really stuck on what to do any advice may help
Old 03-02-2009
Long-Time Member (500+ posts)

well. If you go with the one that pays $2 more an hour, then you will get around $4160 a year more. Just decide whether that is worth it for you or not. If you can make it by without that money and would enjoy your job more for the hours, then stay.
Old 03-03-2009

There's more to a job than money. obviously hours or important to you.
Old 03-03-2009

And this year, you may have to think a bit about which job is more recession proof...
Old 03-03-2009

Also, where does it put you in the tax bracket. From experience, I have given up the better paying job for the job that gave me more "me and family" time. Money is not always worth it. Eight to 5 jobs are hard to come by now, especially if it is a retail situation.
Old 03-04-2009

Do you have children?? It's easier to find a sitter for 8-5 than random hours. And I agree with the tax bracket thing, will you actually be bringing in more after taxes and if you are expecting a raise soon anyway than I would stick with the better hours myself and if everyone likes it there that is a huge bonus!!
Old 03-06-2009

well i made my decision i am taking the other job as the 8-5 is not an atmosphere that i find i enjoy.its not the hours because the hours are good but i already got yelled at for something that had nothing to do with me.Thanksfor thhe opinione everyone.i will post in a few weeks how my other job is going.i start monday if all goes well
Old 03-07-2009

That may be a better choice. I am always amazed when I hear an adult say they were yelled at. What? I may never work again because I'd be damned if another adult is ever going to yell at me without me yelling back unless I burn the business down or something of that magnatude. Nothing less. I fail to see reasoning behind that kind of behaviour in supervisors and adults. If I made a mistake then I expect to be taken into an office or someplace private and it be discussed like two adults, but for someone to yell at me. I just don't think so.
Old 03-12-2009

I don't put up with being yelled at either. I'm too old for that non-sense. My previous employer liked to degrade and humiliate employees in front of customers and then couldn't understand why she has such a reputation as a removed and why she has such a high staff turnover in her clinic.

Last edited by puppyluv; 03-15-2009 at 01:50 PM..
Old 03-15-2009

I've started at my new job and i love it, i get lots of hours anda good pay and nobody yells at me. I also just couldnt get past the yelling and it was weird,people were saying he does it a lot as he used to play football and thats what he is used to.its still no excuse to me as we are both adults and no mateer what you do for a living it doesnt give you the right to do that to people
Old 03-15-2009

Yep,chevybeerman,it is definately an act of total disrespect and condesendtion. You are better off out of there. Funnyitn't it. I raised two sons alone and never found reason to yelland scream at them yet supposedly adults think it is alright to yell at another adult. I just hope they get yelled back at in front of everyone just to see how it feels.

I am glad that you found another job that you like and I am sure you will do well at. I wonder if supervisors know that people who enjoy the work are more productive?