Fireplace General: Info & Help

i SJ: Saint John, New Brunswick  Shopping, Classifieds, Jobs, Real Estate & Rentals, Discussion, Deals, Flyers, + more!

Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online!
Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online! See all recent posts Post a new ad / message Enhanced Features  Helpdesk
Business Advertising Sign-Up (Free!) Search
iSaintJohn Home Forums Home Contact Us Site Rules Terms of Use Privacy Statement

Visit the upgraded front page of iSJ for more info!

Free Saint John Visitor's Guide

Search the web:

Go Back   Saint John Classifieds & Forums > General & Local Discussion > General: Info & Help

Old 12-29-2008
Member (100 to 500 posts)

Question Topic: Fireplace

Fireplace

I am wondering if someone could help me please... I have a fireplace in the new apt I just moved to. The landlord says I can use it if I get it inspected... I went to a place on Rothesay and the guy wants $100 Just to inspect it....Does anyone know of anyone cheaper? any insights at all would be great
Old 12-29-2008

Default Topic: Fireplace

cheaper is not alwasy better. And you could indeed be throwing that money away if it has to be repaired.
Also, check your insurance on how much it will cost if you use it as well. In an apt it could cost you a fair penny more...and apartment insuarance/house insurance is very important.

and I use Fred Simpson The Chimney Guy
Old 12-29-2008

I'm not sure but have you contacted your local fire department, maybe they would inspect it????
Old 12-29-2008
Long-Time Member (500+ posts)

I could be wrong but isn't it the responsibility of the owner/management company to have the fireplace inspected. If they(owner/management company) has concerns as to the safety of the fireplace should they not either have it maintained or close it off?
Old 12-29-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanstu View Post
I could be wrong but isn't it the responsibility of the owner/management company to have the fireplace inspected. If they(owner/management company) has concerns as to the safety of the fireplace should they not either have it maintained or close it off?
I would say the same thing.
Old 12-29-2008
**Bronze-Level** Paid Account

i agree also, don't use it!
Let the landlord foot the bill on it with paper proof and make sure his and your insurance has it covered.
I was in the same boat a few years back - used a 'yep, it's safe' fireplace during a furnace outage even after having the landlord say it's okay to use.
I used it only once with one of those packaged logs and was a nervous wreck the whole time worrying about the chimney when the kids were in the apartment.
Then discovered it was visibly unsafe the next day after having a friend check it over with a high powered light and checking the roof bricks.
Old 12-29-2008

Fireplace

The Landlord told us when we first moved in that the fireplace hadnot been used in a long time and that he prefer wenot use it... I asked him if we were to get it looked over and see if we could get it inspected and we were told everything was fine then we could use it...He said that he would be fine with that. ...So While I know it is very important to ensure that the fireplace is in good working condition..I was kind of hoping that I could find someone cheaper to inspect it
Old 12-29-2008

Pay the money. If I were the landlord and I didn't want to pay $100 I'd just tell the person renting from me not to use the fireplace and block the top. Actually, I'd be stupid as a landlord to let some yahoo use a fireplace in a building I owned. Well, I'd probably never be a landlord. Yeah, if your landlord is going to let you use it, pay the money. It's for your own safety.
Old 12-30-2008

fireplace

ty for all the replies...I apreciate it...Since I have never been in a home with a fireplace it was important that I get feedback....although the name calling could have been left out...Im thinking what may have made me a yahoo, is not actually find info out and simply use the fireplace...
Old 12-30-2008

I'm not exactly sure what you are meaning to say in the second half of your post but I did not mean to call you a yahoo in particular.
Old 12-30-2008

Personally if I owned the building I would not leave the job to be done and paid for by the tenant, because it would be my lose if it caused the building to burn to the ground. Mistymoon you may be a responsible tenant but who is to say that someone that may have moved in would not just go ahead and use it and tell the owner they had it checked. If it has not been used in a long time it may very well be possible the flue has to be cleaned out too as squirrels and birds will make nests in them which will cause all the smoke to back up into your room. Better to be safe than sorry if you don't mind paying for it yourself. Good Luck
Old 12-30-2008

Another thing to keep in mind is that most of the fireplaces uptown were made to burn coal. The hearth just isn't deep enough to burn wood(probably not an issue unless your in a heritage building). Just noticed you mentioned Rothesay so it's probably not an issue at all lol.