Could You Imagine????!!!!!!! Pets & Animals

i SJ: Saint John, New Brunswick  Shopping, Classifieds, Jobs, Real Estate & Rentals, Discussion, Deals, Flyers, + more!

Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online!
Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online! See all recent posts Post a new ad / message Enhanced Features  Helpdesk
Business Advertising Sign-Up (Free!) Search
iSaintJohn Home Forums Home Contact Us Site Rules Terms of Use Privacy Statement

Visit the upgraded front page of iSJ for more info!

Free Saint John Visitor's Guide

Search the web:

Go Back   Saint John Classifieds & Forums > Other Discussion > Pets & Animals

Old 10-16-2009

Default Topic: Could You Imagine????!!!!!!!

Could You Imagine????!!!!!!!

http://thechronicleherald.ca/Front/1147794.html

A furry fight for custody
No money, no dog, says neighbour who offered to care for pet after house fire
By MARY ELLEN MacINTYRE Staff Reporter
Fri. Oct 16 - 4:46 AM

Earl Shadbolt of Eastern Passage displays a new leash and dog cushion he bought for his pet. A neighbour has been caring for Mr. Shadbolt’s dog ever since his Eastern Passage home was destroyed in a fire last year, but now she is refusing to give the dog back. (TIM KROCHAK / Staff)

EARL SHADBOLT was shocked to hear that a notice of sale in Thursday’s paper featured his little mixed breed dog.

After learning about the ad from a reporter, the 75-year-old Eastern Passage man rested his chin in his hand and shook his head.

"I can’t understand what’s going on," he said.

Last April, fire gutted his house.

"I lost a lot of my possessions and the fire was just devastating," he said. "But I made it out with my cat and my little dog, Willie."

Unfortunately, his house was uninhabitable.

"The insurance company put me in an apartment, but the apartment wouldn’t let me keep the dog," he explained.

He said a neighbour who attends the same church as he does agreed to keep Willie, a six-kilogram, black and white terrier mix.

"Everyone thought Laura Naugler was doing it out of the kindness of her heart and I used to go and visit Willie and I’d take her flowers and bring treats for Willie — I thought she was so kind to help me out in this way," he said.

Ms. Naugler said she did agree to take the dog out of the kindness of her heart.

However, she said there is much more to the story.

"This really is a love story," Ms. Naugler said during a telephone interview Thursday night.

Willie and "a neighbour’s dog literally fell in love," she said. "They started connecting and they shared bones — one would get on top of the couch and roll the bone down to the other and it was so cute to watch them play."

Although Ms. Naugler said she intended to ask Mr. Shadbolt if he would allow the dogs to socialize occasionally, she said she didn’t get a chance to.

"After I gave him the bill there was no discussion of anything," she said.

Mr. Shadbolt moved back into his renovated house in August and asked Ms. Naugler to bring Willie back in time for his first birthday.

"I got him a brand new winter coat, a new bed and some treats for his birthday," he laughed.

He said Ms. Naugler refused to give the dog back.

Ms. Naugler said she called Mr. Shadbolt’s insurance company and was told they would be giving him a cheque for $1,200 and he would pay her.

Mr. Shadbolt said he offered the compensation.

"The insurance company said they’d pay $630 and I said I’d match that amount for a total of $1,260 but that wasn’t enough," he said. "She sent me a bill for $1,797 and it isn’t even itemized — I don’t know what it’s for."

Ms. Naugler said she was quite willing to give him the dog but she wanted to get paid first.

"He could have phoned and said look I’ve only got so much money but he didn’t."

Mr. Shadbolt said he’s had a series of small strokes and blames it on his distress over his dog.

When he sought help from police, he said he was advised it was a civil matter. He went to a bank for a loan so he could retain a lawyer.

The dog is supposed to go up for sale on Oct. 26, pursuant to the Warehousemen’s Lien Act, in the parking lot of 192 Wyse Rd. in Dartmouth.

Mr. Shadbolt said he has a date in small claims court in November. Ms. Naugler has been served with a notice of the court action, but said she still intends to go through with the sale.

"He can come and buy it if he wants — he needs to do the right thing," she said.
Old 10-16-2009
Member (< 100 posts)

There has to be more to the story than what was written. I read this in the morning paper and just shook my head.
Old 10-17-2009

If that was my dog I would walk right into her house and take it the first chance I had. Better yet (she is probably selling it for less than he owes her...$1700) get a friend to buy it for him and tell her to take a flying leap because he legally would have just paid her a good portion of what he owes her, in the price he paid to get it back. So much for a neighbor doing something out of the goodness of their heart!!!!!
Old 10-17-2009
Long-Time Member (500+ posts)

And yet here is another example of a "good" Samaritan! NOT!! Everything these days is about money, not about doing the right thing. I don't necessarily care if there is "more" to this story, it should have just been a friend doing a good deed. UNBELIEVABLE!!
Old 10-17-2009

Aww! Some people are sick b******s. I hope someone goes and holds something of hers ransom! UGH I'm so disgusted!! What goes around comes around and I really hope she gets what's coming to her!!! All I can say is I am glad she does not live around here because she wouldn't have much of a home to live in herself when the angered vandals got done with it!! What is she going to sell the dog in a parking lot for $1800 to compensate for what he owes her? That is disgusting!!! She is a disgusting human being!!!!

What I don't understand though is, why he cannot have the police go and take the dog. She's holding it for ransom!!! That is illegal!!! There was no written agreement or verbal agreement where she had asked for money for watching the man's dog until after the dog was supposed to be returned home, or atleast that is what I got from what I read...whether it is correct or not I dunno.. This is so unfair. Why can't anything be done!!!!???

I wish I had the money, I would go and buy that dog back and give it to the old man myself no questions asked!! I almost wish I had never read this. My heart is so sad now!!

Someone needs to put a law in place to protect animals from b******s like her!! This stuff happens way to often and it's not fair to the owner and the dog. That's like kidnapping a child for pete sakes!
Old 10-17-2009

unless there were vet bills happening somewhere in there, I cannot see feeding such a tiny dog ammount.
Old 10-17-2009

Yeah really. It does not sound like he was aware that she was going to be asking so much money for caring for the dog. If she wanted that much you'd think she'd have told him long ago so he could have started to pay her or get someone else to care for the dog. I think if he knew she was going to be wanting that much money he would have tried to make other arrangements. Stingy hard hearted she wolf. Another example of people picking on the elderly and trying to get their pension from them. She bloody well knows he does not have that kind of money. Someone working full time would have a hard time coming up with that kind of money.

Now she's going to sell the dog. God almighty this is the old man's family member. like you Pumpkin, I wish I had the money to buy the dog and give it back to the old guy. I can't see where it would have cost so much to feed a small dog. Sounds like she's lining her pocket. Boy you sure do meet some real gems at your local church, don't you? What ever happened to christianity and helping your fellow man?

T She may find herself in a similar situation one of these days. Life is not a straight road but a twisty turny one so what goes around, comes around eventually.
Old 10-17-2009
Member (< 100 posts)

"He can come and buy it if he wants — he needs to do the right thing," she said

Man, that's crazy!! The right thing would be for her to be a human being and give his dog back. He's already lost a lot of possessions like pictures that he can't get back. Just another case of someone thinking with dollar signs and not their heart!!
Old 10-18-2009

I hope we get to find out whatever happens to the dog. Often we hear of these stories and never find out what happens in the end. Hopefully, its the right thing.
Old 10-18-2009
Member (100 to 500 posts)

Perhaps the police should develop a backbone, and follow the law. The dog, in the eyes of the law, is a possession which does not belong to Ms. Naugler. Remove the dog and return it to the owner, and then if Ms. Naugler feels she is owed compension SHE can take it to small claims court. (just my opinion)
Old 10-18-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jilly Bean View Post
Perhaps the police should develop a backbone, and follow the law. The dog, in the eyes of the law, is a possession which does not belong to Ms. Naugler. Remove the dog and return it to the owner, and then if Ms. Naugler feels she is owed compension SHE can take it to small claims court. (just my opinion)
My thoughts EXACTLY!! I mean HIS insurance company is willing to PAY her $630.00 for looking after the dog and he was going to match the amount!! I mean c'mon. And to boot, the poor man is taking HER to small claims court!! I'm with the rest of you when you say if I had the money I would buy the dog back and give it to the man. Honestly, this story is just yet again another sickening ACT by someone that is supposed to look after someone/something that can't look after themselves. I would have hated to see if it was a child....would she have auctioned him/her off too?
Old 10-18-2009

Like I said, as far as I am concerned, that woman is holding his dog ransom!! It may not be a human, but it is STILL, HIS family!!! I think it should be looked at as exactly that. If there was no verbal or written anything stating she would want money for watching the dog, then she IS holding the dog ransom!!!

It is a sin, that you can't even trust the people at your church. Crooked aholes are everywhere!!!
I am by no means a religious woman and i will probably get punsihed for this, but I am gonna pray and pray so hard for that man to get his dog back and that she really does get what's coming to her. I'd like to see her with a big A$$ fine, instead of getting paid for that dog. Now THAT would be justice!!!

Yea I noticed that too "he needs to do the right thing" HAHAHA and what, holding an old man beloved dog is "the right thing to do"? IMBICIL!!!! (sorry if I spelled that wrong lol)

If anyone hears updates or knows anyone that we can find the outcome through, please post I would liek to know even if it is heartbreaking...that man NEEDS to get his dog back!! I hope whoever buys the dog, if it's not him, will do the right thing...but who has $1800 to throw away on a dog and then give it to someone else? I don't...or I would have had the dog back to the old man by now!!! And egged that witches house whilst walking away!! Sorry Im just so angry and disgusted with that monster!! GRRRR!!!!
Old 10-18-2009

I don't know, maybe someone should gain access (by inviataion), pick up the dog and walk out. It does not legally belong to her anyway. What's she gonna do? Charge you with stealing? The old guy should have done it the last time he visited the dog. Just picked it up and left and told the witdh to kiss his old wrinkled arse. JMO

It's a friggen sin. The old guy is heartbroken. He even bought birthday gifts for the little guy.
Old 10-18-2009

Anyone up for a roadtrip on the 26th? It would be interesting to see what takes place.
Old 10-19-2009

I'll bet Laura Naugler is the most popular person in Eastern Passage. Not. I certainly wouldn't want to be in her shoes. It's of her own making.

Are you really going to Dartmouth on Monday T4?
Old 10-19-2009
**Silver-Level** Paid Account

I just think $1700!! holy cow. My cat is elderly and needs two types of meds not to mention soft food and she wouldn't cost me half that for a whole year. A young healthy dog that needs no special attention should need a bag of food and some denta bones a month, plus one vet visit a year and maybe some chew toys.
Old 10-20-2009

I would go too T4, I was thinking exactly the same thing, load up a car or van and drive down. I would even stand outside the house and chant....GIVE BACK THE DOG.....until I drove her crazy and she gave in. Wouldn't take long!!!!!
Old 10-21-2009

Yeah I was thinking the same thing Bradorna. Maybe a bunch of us could go down and lend some support to this poor old guy. I'm between two minds on it.

I wonder what has happened since we first heard of this story? Surely she has been under pressure to give Willie back. Maybe she has accepted his 1200 dollars and given him back. Has anyone heard?

I'm sure people who have heard this story in Eastern Passage are in the same mind frame as we are and made her life miserable, the witch. I hope so.

With so many animals being unloved and abused, you just know this old dude loves this dog.
Old 10-21-2009

i wonder if she has an email address...we could all email her and remind her about the difference between right and wrong....
Old 10-21-2009

I joined the facebook group but I wish I had her email address also. She would definitely get a piece of my mind......what is left of it...lol