Beware of Local Toy Store Local Topics

i SJ: Saint John, New Brunswick  Shopping, Classifieds, Jobs, Real Estate & Rentals, Discussion, Deals, Flyers, + more!

Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online!
Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online! See all recent posts Post a new ad / message Enhanced Features  Helpdesk
Business Advertising Sign-Up (Free!) Search
iSaintJohn Home Forums Home Contact Us Site Rules Terms of Use Privacy Statement

Visit the upgraded front page of iSJ for more info!

Free Saint John Visitor's Guide

Search the web:

Go Back   Saint John Classifieds & Forums > General & Local Discussion > Local Topics

Old 12-27-2008
**Bronze-Level** Paid Account

Default Topic: Beware of Local Toy Store

Tassy you still haven't answered, what's wrong with it exactly, and what type is it? My wife bought a Ipod Shuffle, and when she first tried to upload music to it, it wouldn't work, but when I used different software I was able to upload music and now it works fine.
Old 12-27-2008
Long-Time Member (500+ posts)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhiley_08j View Post
No the customer may not always be right, but someone trained in customer service who is doing their job properly will leave the customer feeling as if they are, and that you have done everything in your power to rectify the situation. A happy customer means a repeat customer!
I guess you are assuming the manager did not do his job correctly. Unfortunately, the situation described by tassy, including her behaviour and the behaviour of her boyfriends father,( whom I might add was banned from the store for 1 year.) leads me to believe the manager acted correctly, however tassy was not willing to accept his explanation on Apple policy, as I believe is clearly spelled out in the warranty included with the ipod. All I'm saying is people in retail seem to be treated poorly by the public. A little courtesy goes along way!
Bottom line, you get more bees with honey than with vinegar.

Hope you had a great Christmas, rhiley!
Old 12-28-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanstu View Post
I guess you are assuming the manager did not do his job correctly. Unfortunately, the situation described by tassy, including her behaviour and the behaviour of her boyfriends father,( whom I might add was banned from the store for 1 year.) leads me to believe the manager acted correctly, however tassy was not willing to accept his explanation on Apple policy, as I believe is clearly spelled out in the warranty included with the ipod. All I'm saying is people in retail seem to be treated poorly by the public. A little courtesy goes along way!
Bottom line, you get more bees with honey than with vinegar.

There behavior might not have been the best, but it still does not excuse his. Bad day or not he should not have been so flippant with her. I work in a similar job. If I or any one below me treated a customer that way, we would be gone. No If's and's or buts about it. If we have a particularly difficult customer, they are put in touch with our supervisor. We do not get mouthy with them. Even when people are yelling at us, and they do. We are expected to maintain a busness like demenor. It's not always easy, but we do it.

The thing for all to remember is
1] Staff of most stores do not set store policy. That is done by people who are much higher paid, and do not have to deal with the people that are going to be upset with these policies.

2] As a store employee, you represent the company as a whole. People spend hard earned money on an object, they expect it to work. if it doesn't, expect them to be upset. If you can not satisfy there needs, do not get mouthy with them. Get them in touch with your boss. That is what he is there for. Being mouthy just makes you and the store look bad.

Argument like that never gets any were. You said it your self

Quote:
you get more bees with honey than with vinegar
This applies to both sides of the argument. Not just the customer. My bosses will do some things against policy to calm down an irate customer. Result is usually a repeat customer that will be much more reasonable the next time.

The manager was out of line. Maybe Tassy was too. But it could have been handled much better. Now the have not only lost her as a customer, but others as well.
Old 12-28-2008

I guess the bottom line oasis, is that we don't know how the manager acted; so all the speculation on the managers behaviour being right or wrong is just that, speculation. And until he posts a thread on isj with his version of the events we can only go by what tassy said.
Her version of events leads me to believe both she and the boyfriends father behaved inappropriately to the staff/manager of the store. Why should other customers and their children be subjected to the behaviour this family displayed?
The store in question didn't write the warranty policy for Apple. All it would take for tassy to correct the situation with the ipod would be a quick phone call.
Apple's warranty policy is pretty much the same as Microsoft or Sony when it comes to electronics. The equipment needs to be sent back to them.
There appears to be more to this story than what we were told. I have my own theory on that; but I'll keep it to myself! lol

PS. there is nothing worse than an adult pitching a tantrum!! Time to grow up!
Old 12-29-2008
Member (100 to 500 posts)

Sorry I took too long to get back.
The ipod will not load songs on it.

Sanstu, you are quick to judge, since you werent there, you should bite your tounge, I do aggree, every story has 2 sides. However, this manager was straight up rude, I explained to him how a big inconvinience it was to return it, and he said he didnt care. Who does that? As soon as he said that, your damn right I was pissed and tried again to voice my concern!

Another thing that im now pissed about. I was telling my friends about what happened, and one of them was telling me their mother had returned a ipod she had bought for her son just 1 week before christmas, she also had to talk to a manager and tell him how she didnt wanna have to go through Apple, and they returned hers, That looks like discrimination to me. Just like when I was a little younger, I tried to return something to the big Z, they wouldnt do it for me, my mom went it the next day (Same person working) and they returned it for her.

If the people in the store all did the same policy, things like this wouldnt happen.
Old 12-29-2008

tassy, I was simply giving an opinion. I don't believe any of the other members posting were at the store when you were there either, but it's OK for them to voice an opinion as long as they agree with you? Whatever! We can only go by what you are saying regarding the matter. The manager of the store DOES NOT set the return policy for Apple. So..... you can either contact Apple via phone or on the net......
Being disrespectful to the staff at the store was uncalled for.
Old 12-29-2008

Yes you are voicing your opinion. The other people see both sides of the story, you chose to only see the side where I was the one in fault. My father in law walked in without saying a word and the manager looked at him and said, "I aint even dealing with that", Of COURSE he flipped out and got kicked out. Me being disrespectful, I was only giving the manager what I was treated like, you werent there, so dont asume please. There are different ways to go with certain situations, this manager needs to be working somewhere else. I'm extremely suprised hes a manager. He needs to learn how to talk to customers to make it so they dont leave the store pissed off, hes the person I went to speak with, so he would be the last I would speak with, you would think he would want me to leave the store wanting to go back eh, guess not.
Old 12-29-2008

Quote:
Gee, maybe the customer should do their homework BEFORE they make a purchase. It doesn't take a genius to ask what the store policy is on refunds/exchanges. I'd be having a bad day too if I was confronted in the manner that tassy described. The customer IS NOT always right.
TRUE!!. A LOT of people don't read before purchasing, especially groceries, and you all have to admit to that at some point!!! BUT, in the case of things like IPODS, cell phones and other mechanical type devices that are NOT availalable to be exchanged at the store....the store employees (cashiers, floor sales staff, etc) that are selling the items should CLEARLY tell the customer upon buying it, that in the case of a technical problem the item MUST be sent back to where ever it is it needs to go, NOT back to the store. They have no troubles telling you can return or exchange things within so many days with a receipt when they pass you your items you just bought... So when someone slams an Ipod or cell phone onto a counter and says ring it up....wouldn't it be a good idea if management informed staff so they could tell you this? I would think it a good idea!!

Not only would this solve the problem of bunches of frustrated customers coming in , it would also solve the issue of so many people coming in wanting to cook up the manager and serve him for supper to the hungry patrons.... it would lessen the stress load on both staff and customer...

Did you ever notice how hurried shoppers are? Especially around the holidays? Not everyone has a whole day to stand in isles reading everything about every item they pick up. Life has become about convenience, now who has the time for that when you think of it that way! Everyone is in a hurry why do you think so many accidents happen during the holiday season!!! Not to mention it is usually kids yanging for these things so the parents are just out grabbing what has been asked for not knowing the issues that you may get into with it....

Again Santu I will agree with you, you are correct about not all customers being right! Some are just nuts and I swear I think some just like to start fights because they have nothin better to do!!! And I am sure this man/woman gets bombarded by people he cares not to deal with but it is in his job description. If bad enough you call security, if not you try to deal with it as best as you can, but there is never any need of speaking to someone like he did....if he is flustered ask for stress leave....he probably wouldn't have as many of those issues if he trained his staff a bit better... (although I find this an issue almost everywhere now, not enough training, staff don't seem to know their products!!! Not their fault, not enough training!!!)

Regardless.......
I still say if he doesn't want to take you seriously, and the dad way of it went awry, then call head office. It's your best bet.

If nothing comes of this Tassy atleast you educated some people on the way things are handled there!!! It may save someone else all the trouble you had to go through!!! And next year, if you have to buy anything electronic...see if you can find it in a place like Whacky's or something where the sales people are more than willing to grab on to you and make that sale and are more than willing to keep u happy to bring you back....they also seem to be able to take the time to explain things better to you as well!! =)

Last edited by Pumpkin; 12-29-2008 at 11:57 AM..
Old 12-29-2008

Pumpkin, everyone on this board is ASSUMING the manager acted in the wrong manner. He was confronted by not one but 2 grown adults that were PO'ed because of a warranty issue. This by tassy's own account. So I'm not following the logic that the manager was at fault.
tassy can call apple OR PM riley; as he said in one of his posts that he too had a problem which he was able to correct.
Defending or justifying bad behaviour serves no purpose other then to empower the individual.
I have purchased many, many items from this particular store and have always found the staff to be courteous and helpful.

Last edited by sanstu; 12-29-2008 at 08:44 PM..
Old 12-29-2008

Sanstu, you are asuming again that I was pissed of due to the warranty issue. I wasnt pissed until I was told he didnt care that it was an inconvinience, so please read carefully before asuming, thanks. If he would have worded thing differently, I may have been nice and left. He said I was lying when I told him I wasnt told about the apple policy, you can chose to beleive me or not, I don't care, but please dont asume. We all know you think I went in there freaking and deserved the customer service i got, ok, I get it, but I know I was treated like a fool, thats all that matters to me, thanks.
Old 12-29-2008
**Bronze-Level** Paid Account

Tassy, what are you trying to load the ipod with? Are you using windows autoplay feature? I tried that but it wouldn't work, so then I used another program, Media Monkey, to be exact, and all you have to do is click and drag to the ipod and it worked. Little more detailed than that, but if you want more info you can PM me. I am sure I am not the only one that had to figured this out.

As for the manager, he could have at least been willing to find a way to help you out to get it to work. I honestly don't think it is broken. I think you can get it to work!
Old 12-29-2008

tassy, I'm not assuming anything. So sorry you can't see the 'ere of your ways.
Hopefully you will pm rhiley as I suggested and perhaps he can talk you through the process.
I'm with you rhiley, I don't think the ipod is broken.
Old 12-29-2008

If you setup itunes for it, that might work
Old 12-29-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassy.Junior View Post
Sanstu, you are asuming again that I was pissed of due to the warranty issue. I wasnt pissed until I was told he didnt care that it was an inconvinience, so please read carefully before asuming, thanks. If he would have worded thing differently, I may have been nice and left. He said I was lying when I told him I wasnt told about the apple policy, you can chose to beleive me or not, I don't care, but please dont asume. We all know you think I went in there freaking and deserved the customer service i got, ok, I get it, but I know I was treated like a fool, thats all that matters to me, thanks.
I don't see how you were treated like a fool. You were upset that you were not getting your own way. One usually reads the booklets that come, had you, you would have known the policy.
Old 12-30-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by livkat View Post
I don't see how you were treated like a fool. You were upset that you were not getting your own way. One usually reads the booklets that come, had you, you would have known the policy.
As I said LivKat, I was NOT given the warranty for apple.

Anyways, my friend is going to figure it out and fix it, Thanks for all your help.
Old 12-30-2008

Quote:
As I said LivKat, I was NOT given the warranty for apple.

Anyways, my friend is going to figure it out and fix it, Thanks for all your help.

The warranty is enclosed in the Apple product; then the package is sealed.
Old 12-30-2008

Media Monkey..that sounds like a simpler program that itunes....I think i will suggest that to someone else who has a shuffle and is having issues with itunes.

Thanks Riley!
Old 12-30-2008

Quote:
The warranty is enclosed in the Apple product; then the package is sealed.
Oh yes, I forgot, you are supose to open items and read them throughly before purchasing the product. Come on now! Its not like I waited 2 months to return it. I'm done with this.
Old 12-30-2008

Quote:
Oh yes, I forgot, you are supose to open items and read them throughly before purchasing the product. Come on now! Its not like I waited 2 months to return it. I'm done with this.
No, but one usually does read the booklets enclosed after they purchase an item. And your story makes no sense. First you have no warranty, then they must have gotten a defective batch of Ipods. Come on. You haven't even responed as to whether or not you have tried any of rhiley suggestions.
Old 12-30-2008

Rhiley, I told my friend what you suggested, hes going to give it a try. Livkat, I said it was not loading songs, which would answer rhileys first question. ANYWAYS, this is not your problem, dont put so much effort into it. And yes, I read the booklet, but most stores have a return policy, within the store, thats what I was going for, but for this ipod, you could not return in store, but any other one you can. I dont know what else I can say to make you understand.