Farewell my beloved PussPuss Pets & Animals

i SJ: Saint John, New Brunswick  Shopping, Classifieds, Jobs, Real Estate & Rentals, Discussion, Deals, Flyers, + more!

Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online!
Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online! See all recent posts Post a new ad / message Enhanced Features  Helpdesk
Business Advertising Sign-Up (Free!) Search
iSaintJohn Home Forums Home Contact Us Site Rules Terms of Use Privacy Statement

Visit the upgraded front page of iSJ for more info!

Free Saint John Visitor's Guide

Search the web:

Go Back   Saint John Classifieds & Forums > Other Discussion > Pets & Animals

Old 12-27-2008
Long-Time Member (500+ posts)

Default Topic: Farewell my beloved PussPuss

Farewell my beloved PussPuss

I took my old tom cat in to the vet today because he had lost so much weight and not looking well. My vet felt his flank and said he has kidney cancer and there is not much that can be done for him. I didn't have the heart to put him down today but my vet gave him a bolus of saline to help with his dehydration. The vet said he most likely was not in a lot of pain but felt miserable. My sons will take him in on Monday and have him put to sleep. Needless to say my heart is broken. He was my first true stray. His owners threw him away in 2002 and he came to my door starving.You could tell he had been an indoor cat until they threw him away. He was terrified outside and once he got into my house he didn't want to go back out. My heart is broken and I can't stop crying. You get these animals knowing that you will say goodbye to them but when the time comes, you're so unprepared. You don't realize how attached you are and what they mean to you till this happens.

So goodbye my beautiful Puss Puss. May you cross that rainbow bridge and be free.

I'll be glad when this year is over. Counting Pussspuss, I've lost 4 of my babies since September. Don't know whatever happened to Fluffy ( small little black tom with no tail) Black Eye (small mulitcoloured female with no tail) and Skunky (huge white with black with 7 toes on each foot) I look for them everyday.

Last edited by inuit; 12-27-2008 at 01:14 PM..
Old 12-27-2008

*many many hugs*
You saved PussPuss from a cold world....it is amazing how a furball can take up so much space in your heart...
Old 12-27-2008

Awwwww....... ini. I'm so sorry for your losses' this year. BIG, big hugs my friend.
Old 12-27-2008

Old 12-27-2008

Thank you for your kind words and hugs. I know I have great friends here at isj.
When this time comes,you realize that it wasn't long enough. I didn't have him long enough. Just 3 or 4 more years. I would have loved to have seen him get old.But it would never be long enough. You never want them to go.
Old 12-27-2008

Oh I'm so sorry for your loss I lost a pet growing up that we had for 17 years. I know the agony you are feeling. He was full of cancer and we didn't know. I think now that he may have suffered a little in the end. I wish we had of known earlier what was wrong with him. I never got to say goodbye to him because I was living away from home when he died. I regret it everyday. Enjoy this time with your little fur baby. I will be thinking of you on Monday.
Old 12-27-2008

I'm so sorry for your losses Inuit. I will keep you and your babies in my prayers.

God bless, and hopes for a better new year <3
Old 12-27-2008

Okay, where the heck are my tissues???? I am so deeply sorry for what you have gone thru. I know pets become your world, I know mine are. My heart and prayers go out to you and may 2009 bring you much needed happiness, God Bless!
Old 12-27-2008

I won't be so arrogant to say next year could't be worse because I know it could easily be. Some people who I've talked to this summer know of my health. But I'm not worried about me. I worry about my 84 year old mom who right now is in hospital recovering from another broken leg. She won't go to a nursing home and is so unsteady on her feet. I worry about my children, as you do.

I worry about the rest of my furbabies. One, as you know, has cycistitis and is prone to flair ups. It kills me to see him suffer when he has a flair up. This year I won't have the money to take him back and forth to the vet like I have these past 2 years. I worry about old Hamlet, who seems to be always getting beaten up by other cats and comes home battered. As long as he heals it's fine but if he develops infectiovs or absesses', I don't know what I'll do.

Here's hoping and praying the new year will be a whole lot better than this one.

Thank you all for your kind thoughts.

Sheila
Old 12-27-2008
Member (100 to 500 posts)

i can understand your feelings .. i actually just came here to ask if anyone knows of a reputable place to take our cat of 11yrs to have him cremated as he just passed away a few hours ago ... he was brought home as a kitten and my wife was very very attached to him and therefore she would like to have him cremated and brought back home .. if anyone knows of a reputable place to take him pls pm me ..

thx
Old 12-27-2008

Mrs. B probably knows the name of the person. I believe they live in Kingston. (both my dog and cat were cremated, however it was through the vet.)

so sorry for you loss thrasher.
Old 12-27-2008
**Bronze-Level** Paid Account

Cherished pets memorial services, www.chierishedpetmemorialservice.ca, the phone number is 763-2252
We have used them before and they are a very nice couple,
Old 12-27-2008
**Bronze-Level** Paid Account

cherished pets

Hi I just sent the link for the web page, it doesn't appear to be working, but you can call them,
annie
Old 12-27-2008

Thrasher, would you and your wife accept my deepest heartfelt condolences on the loss of your beloved family member? I know the heartbreak. I don't look forward to the next few weeks.
Old 12-27-2008

When the vet examined PussPuss today, she never said he had to be put down. She didn't have to. I knew immediately when she said she palpated a large mass on his left kidney. I was useless. I burst into tears. Couldn't stop them but tried hard to with no success. I was so upset that the receptionist told me to go on home and I could pay her the next time I was in.

I tell you this because for 18 years I was a nurse. Do you have any idea how many people I sat with while they passed on or hugged the family when their loved one passed on? I cried with them and felt their sorrow. I let them cry on my shoulder as long as they needed to. I had gotten many many thank you cards from the families. After I had helped the greiving family, I'd wipe my eyes, blow my nose and return to work on the rest of my patients. I would feel bad for the family but I had other pts who needed me.

Now when I lose an animal, I am inconsolable. I cry and greive for weeks and even months. I'll even dream about them years after. What is wrong with me?

I used to be able to handle the deaths of people easier than I do my animals now. Some of these patients had been in my care for years and I had truly gotten attached to them, yet when they died, I'd feel bad for maybe a week then move on. Maybe I am finally cracking up.

Last edited by inuit; 12-27-2008 at 08:32 PM..
Old 12-27-2008
Member (100 to 500 posts)

my belief is that your pets are your only true friends ..always the same and they are there thru the good and bad times ....nuff said
Old 12-28-2008
Member (< 100 posts)

Smile Topic: Farewell my beloved PussPuss

Iknow how you feel,sorry for your loss.I lost my siamese Blu almost 7yrs ago,dec23,I had her 13 yrs.Her owner wanted to move an didn.t want to take her cross country in a car so 15 min after getting the call lol i was at their door.She came home with me and came my constant companion,most nights you could find her on my shoulder helping me read.When after 13 yrs she began to lose weight,I loaded her in her carrier an went off to the vet(normally she hated carrier an vet lol)she went willingly,it was liver failure.Doc gave me few things to make her comfortable an i took her home,She passed away 2 days later curled up on her favorite blanket beside me helping me read my paper right to the end.As you can tell i still miss her,although i've mothered some other strays,she'll always be my baby.
Old 12-29-2008

Just wanted to let you know you re in my heart & prayers today girl..
Old 01-03-2009

Thank you all. I was able to keep my Puss Puss until Wednesday. He was looking so good and eating and playing on Sunday and Monday he was still looking pretty good. My vet was still on vacation on Monday. I had to take one of my other cats in to the vet on Monday and she gave me some antiiotics for Puss Puss. The baytrill seemd to help Puss puss sleep well on Monday night. I took Puss Puss in to my vet on tuesday and she said he looked like he was not in pain and she gave him some subcutaneous fluids and said it would be easier on him if he were not dehydrated when the time came. On Wednesday morning poor Puss Puss was drinking and drinking and still he was starting to get dry so we took him in and had him put down. It took about 5 seconds. All of the cats said their goodbyes when I brought him home. Goodbye my Puss Puss. I know that you are not in pain or thirsty now.

The same day my cat Toby went missing.
Old 01-05-2009

Inuit I'm so sorry about Puss Puss. I can't say I know how you are feeling because I have never had to experience it yet. But I dread the day I do. Ben, my dog is my child and companion. I love him very much and it will kill me when the day comes that he passes. Words alone cannot make you feel better so all I can say is you are in my thoughts and my heart goes out to you. You love your pets so you will always remember them and their little antics and special things that have earned them the right to hold a special place in your heart. I'm sure you would rather feel the pain of losing Puss Puss than have her feel any pain or suffering due to her illness. Only time will make it less painful for you. God Bless