Looking for recipes Food & Dining

i SJ: Saint John, New Brunswick  Shopping, Classifieds, Jobs, Real Estate & Rentals, Discussion, Deals, Flyers, + more!

Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online!
Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online! See all recent posts Post a new ad / message Enhanced Features  Helpdesk
Business Advertising Sign-Up (Free!) Search
iSaintJohn Home Forums Home Contact Us Site Rules Terms of Use Privacy Statement

Visit the upgraded front page of iSJ for more info!

Free Saint John Visitor's Guide

Search the web:

Go Back   Saint John Classifieds & Forums > Other Discussion > Food & Dining

Old 12-19-2008
Long-Time Member (500+ posts)

Default Topic: Looking for recipes

Looking for recipes

Wondering if anyone has a tried and true recipe for seafood chowder and seafood casserole. I know I could look online but I am looking for something local. If anyone would care to share I would appreciate it.
Thanks friends!
Old 12-19-2008

Oh, cool. I like to make chowder.

You'll want/need:

- Bacon, pancetta, whole pork belly (basically, a strong flavoured pork product with a good amount of fat)

- onion, celery, carrot, garlic (you can leave out carrot and garlic if you like)

- seafood (whatever you like. visit the fish monger and buy the premixed chowder but ask for less or no precooked shrimp as they'll get tough while the other seafood/fish cooks and then add your own shrimp if you like). canned lobster if you really want to go all out. Use the brine too (same with canned clams). Anyway, you get the picture. If you use brine, be careful on added salt as you'll also get some from the pork.

- potatoes (cut, slice, dice, shave, or do what you wish with these).

- cream/milk of your choice. some people love a thick chowder, some like a milky one. do what you wish here.

- herbs. i like thyme and bay leaves in my chowder. sometimes i like to finish with some fresh parsley. do what you like with this though.

- for me, lots and lots of fresh ground pepper

- unsalted butter!!!

Render and brown your pork. Drain as much or as little fat as you wish. Add mirpoix of veggies and sweat down. don't worry about colour here. you got colour from the pork. Add herbs and cream/milk and then potatoes. Once the potatoes are cooked, add seafood/mix/brine. Once all that is cooked, taste for seasoning. Add salt and pepper as desired and also fiinish with some butter to get some nice yellow beads in your bowl. Top bowl with some fresh parsley and ground pepper as desired.
Old 12-19-2008

I have some lobster I want to use up,(fresh) so this sounds great. Should I use scallops AND a white fish? (which white fish would be best to use)
Old 12-19-2008

Yeah, use some scallops and white fish! Any white fish will do. It'll flake apart some but it's a chowder, it's allowed to be rustic.

edit: i'd skip farmed tilapia. It's unusually high in omega 6s and low in omega 3s compared to other fish.

Last edited by dan j; 12-19-2008 at 02:42 PM..
Old 12-19-2008

Want to try a real good seafood chowder,go to Fairview Lanes on Fridays it is delicious.Maybe she will share her recipe.
Old 12-19-2008

For some a hint of something of a different flavor, melt in some grated sharp cheddar just before serving.....Mmmmmmm
Old 12-19-2008

That would be a nice complimentary flavour. Now that you mention it, a few shavings of parm on top would be pretty yummy and make a nice garnish too.
Old 12-20-2008

This recipe originated at Inn on the Cove..I have added/changed it over the years.

Maritime Seafood Chowder

1 lb chowder mix or seafood of your choice..( I usuall buy a few scallops and shrimp to add to the chowder mix)
1 tin baby clams
1 onion, chopped
2 cans evaporated milk...( I use one can of milk and 1 equal measure of cream)
3 potatoes chopped ..bite size pieces
1 carrot, chopped, bite size pieces
1 stalk of celery, chopped
1/2 lb bacon or pc of salt pork...
1 small can lobster paste

In dutch oven saute bacon ( or salt pork) with the onions..remove from pot and set aside when cooked.
Drain juice from the clams into the pot
add potatoes, carrot and celery
cover with approx 1-2 cups water
cook until tender.

In a large bowl dredge the seafood (except the clams) with approx 2 tbs of flour...
Saute in skillet in about 2 tbsp oil until cooked but not browned.

add to the potato mixture with the clams, salt pork, onions and lobster paste and turn heat down to simmer....
after mixture has cooled add canned milk, cream, pinch of oregano, basil..
and bit of salt & pepper...

Cook on low heat until ready to serve...

Do not boil mixture and do not cover pot..
Old 12-20-2008
Member (100 to 500 posts)

Here is a seafood chowder recipe that I got from a friend of a friend. This is a local recipe.

2 Cup onion
2 Cup Celery
3Tps Butter
1 Tps salt and pepper
4 cup milk
3/4 cup flour
1/2 cup butter
1 pound of velveta cheese
2 pound Scallop, Lobster and Shrimp

Cook celery and onion in frying pan, melt butter and add flour, add hot milk add cheese.

The friend who gave me this recipe made this for a get together we had one year. It was so good I got the recipe. I have not tried to make it myself yet.
Old 12-21-2008

Here is mine.

5 strips of bacon chopped
1lb Seafood (Mix or whatever you like I usually add extra lobster and scallops)
1 onion minced
3 tbsp flour
1 cup of milk
1cup heavy cream
4 large potatoes cubed

Cook bacon in large sauce pot until very crisp. Take bacon out of pot and set aside. leave drippings in the pot.

Add onions over low heat and saute until tender. Slowly add flour and make a smooth paste. Add milk and cream while whisking briskly.

Bring almost to a boil and add potatoes and simmer until potatoes are almost done.

Add fish. cook about 2 to 3 minutes.

Keep an eye on the mixture. It could thicken rapidly. If it does add a little milk to smooth it out. Not too much at a time. I like a thick chowder.

When done remove from heat add bacon back to mixture, or you can use it as a garnish by adding a few pieces on top after you put it i the bowl.

Also when you are ready to serve, call me and I will be right over!!!!!
Old 12-22-2008

These recipe's all sound yummy, but I still need a recipe for seafood casserole. Hope one of you will share.
Old 12-22-2008

Try this one. I found it a while ago, and have not had the chance to try it. but it does sound good..

3 pounds cooked fresh seafood (shrimp, scallops, oysters, clams)
1 cup cooked rice
Saute in butter:
1/2 cup chopped red pepper
1 cup sliced mushrooms
1 cup chopped celery
1/2 cup chopped Vidalia onion
3/4 cup cream
1 can Cream of mushroom soup
1 cup mayonnaise
1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
White pepper (to taste)
Cook seafood, etc. in boiling water . Sautee peppers, onions, and mushrooms until tender. Toss all ingredients together and put in buttered baking dish. Cook at 375 degrees F, uncovered for 30-40 minutes or until heated through.