Beware of Local Toy Store Local Topics

i SJ: Saint John, New Brunswick  Shopping, Classifieds, Jobs, Real Estate & Rentals, Discussion, Deals, Flyers, + more!

Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online!
Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online! See all recent posts Post a new ad / message Enhanced Features  Helpdesk
Business Advertising Sign-Up (Free!) Search
iSaintJohn Home Forums Home Contact Us Site Rules Terms of Use Privacy Statement

Visit the upgraded front page of iSJ for more info!

Free Saint John Visitor's Guide

Search the web:

Go Back   Saint John Classifieds & Forums > General & Local Discussion > Local Topics

Old 12-22-2008
Member (100 to 500 posts)

Default Topic: Beware of Local Toy Store

Beware of Local Toy Store

I'm not gunna name it on here, but beware of a local toy store when buying Apple Ipods. If it doesn’t work, even if you bring it back 1 hour later, they will not give you your money back. They supposedly give you a warranty piece of paper stating that you have to go through Apple to exchange it when you make your purchase, but we did not receive this policy. When we went back to return it as it wasn’t working, this was our second time going to return it, as the first time we returned it, they took it back NO PROBLEM, the second one also didn’t work, so we went back. The manager told me he didn’t care that I was being inconvenienced, he was extremely unprofessional, and told me to get out of his face. He also told me I was lying when I told him I wasn’t given the warranty policy when I bought the Ipod. So I left, extremely upset, My boyfriend dad went in to see why i was being called a liar, and as soon as the manager saw the ipod, he said to my bf's dad. "Oh I aint even dealing with this" Anyways, my bf's dad got mad and got kicked out for 1 year. All because some manager called me a liar, and didn’t want to work with me.

Needless to say, my sister in law just spent over $1000 there for her baby she’s having in 3 weeks, and she’s going to return EVERYTHING to the store, thank god she has her receipt and never opened anything! She bought everything, playpen, swing, car seat and stroller, I’m telling you, she got it all from there. She’s gunna make sure they know why she’s returning it, lol. God love pregnant woman! She gets mad over everything!

Last edited by puppyluv; 12-23-2008 at 11:41 AM..
Old 12-22-2008

Actually a lot of stores are like that on Apple Products. It's Apple actually, they want the product sent directly to them.
Old 12-22-2008

Yeah, and thats fine, but I didn't know that when I bought it, I would have apreciated a heads up. And Apple clearly sent this store a "bad batch"
Old 12-22-2008

Regardless of store, this is more of an Apple policy. You'll have to work with Apple directly versus the local store. My past experience with my iPod will keep me away from Apple products, even the iPhone.
Old 12-22-2008
Long-Time Member (500+ posts)

When I bought my son an ipod he thought it was broken. After a quick call to Apple the problem was fixed and the ipod was working. Simply contact Apple, perhaps the issue can be fixed with their assistance.
Old 12-22-2008
Member (< 100 posts)

That is usual for almost all electronics and household items, to have to deal with the direct company. I waited almost a year to get something fixed and sent back to me crappy! Wow Your stepfather must have acted up to get banned for a year!
Old 12-23-2008

I bought a childs camera from WalMart for our Goddaughter this year...Upon opening it, it said if any issues, do NOT return to the store you bought it, but call a certain number. More and more companies are going that way..like it or not, it is happening.
Old 12-23-2008

what if you had just returned it and said that it was never opened? or was it obvious it had been open? If not i would have just said someone already bought me one and i don't need it.
Old 12-23-2008

I've dealt with that manager twice now, and it was pretty much the same experience you had. He shouldn't even have that job if he doesn't want to do it!
Old 12-23-2008

Apple is very picking about their products, they want them all returned to them and they want it sold and used on their terms. Much like how Apple got cranky at Rogers about the price of the data plans.

A lot of companies are following the same suit. Perhaps it's to help expedite the repairs, the quicker they get the product back the quicker it goes back onto the shelves.

Getting mad at the company that sold it is just being a grinch.
Old 12-23-2008
**Bronze-Level** Paid Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaj27 View Post
Apple is very picking about their products, they want them all returned to them and they want it sold and used on their terms. Much like how Apple got cranky at Rogers about the price of the data plans.

A lot of companies are following the same suit. Perhaps it's to help expedite the repairs, the quicker they get the product back the quicker it goes back onto the shelves.

Getting mad at the company that sold it is just being a grinch.

I would say they are well within their rights to be mad; especially the way in which the manager dealt with things. If that was me and I got kicked out for a year I would probably have ended up leaving with an assault charge. LOL!

As for the Ipod, what's wrong with it? And what is it, a nano, a shuffle???
Old 12-23-2008

perhaps the real issue is people, while they can't return it, aren't being dealt with properly. Maybe the manager needs training as well..
Perhaps understanding what to say may have made a difference....such as..

I understand you have an issue with this product, but unfortunately Apple themselves have signed us to this policy that we are unable to take ANY product back. I really apologize for this inconvienence..
Maybe that in the proper voice would make enough of a difference to help the frayed nerves.
Old 12-23-2008

I've worked for this manager before and I find it very hard to believe he acted in this manner. He is nothing but professional and all about the customer and is a very down to earth, polite person. Ever hear of the statement" you have to give a little respect to get a little"?
Old 12-23-2008

Who knows, maybe the guy was havin a bad day or maybe he was tired of everyone who bought one, coming in and flippin out at him.

You would think for this time of year for convenience to the customers who buy their items and make them their money..., that Apple and the other companies who have this policy, would let the store do the returns and exchanges. It is hard to give something to someone for Christmas when it has to be sent back via snail mail and sent to you all over again via the same way....
Old 12-24-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deanie View Post
I've worked for this manager before and I find it very hard to believe he acted in this manner. He is nothing but professional and all about the customer and is a very down to earth, polite person. Ever hear of the statement" you have to give a little respect to get a little"?

Do they only have one manager there, how do you know who i was dealing with?
Old 12-24-2008

Managers can treat staff much differently than customers. Just because you worked for this person doesn't mean this person couldn't have become more of a Grump since you've been gone. And if you worked there and then became a customer after leaving, you would still always get better treatment because you were once staff and know all those people. Then again some managers treat their staff horribly, and treat customers well beyond what is called for...so...I dunno takes all kinds to make er go around....

I am guessing it's probably due to the holidays though and everything that comes with it. People change during the holidays. Some people get all happy and warm inside, some people get majorly stressed out and some get really cranky, and let's face it....working in a store where people in hoards are coming in and buying...people coming in returning and exchanging and people coming in with complaints....you would be grumpy too. I know I would and I probably would want to bite off someone's head if I had to go through that everyday all day long!! (prob why I don't work in those stores)...though that doesn't make it right that the manager treated you in such a manner. He could have been much more professional about it. Whoever he/she is sounds quite childish to me in what you said but that is my personal opinion.

If it bothers you that much, have someone call or call yourself, they won't recognize your voice I am sure...ask for head office's number!! If you worked there and had issues about the manager, you go to the head office to deal with it...so try that. Tell them how professional he/she was and that if he/she is stressed out that bad that they are treating customers in such a manner, then maybe they need some stress leave for a lil while....I'd also mention due to the fact that you were treated that way and due to the way your bf's Dad was treated, your sister is now returning well over a grand worth of unopened baby items...and that it may happen again with others if that's how he continues to handle his/her customers!!

Or you could always go in with a nice big smiley cupcake or something and tell him you hope he has good luck in his surgery....having the stick removed from his behind... =) Or just say to him just because or have a nice day...it'll prob take him for a loop :P lol

Anyways...good luck hope you get things all under control and you get that Ipod you've been waiting for =) One that WORKS!!! =)
Old 12-24-2008

People, don't forget there are two sides to every story and somewhere in the middle lies the truth.
Tassy, did you contact Apple regarding the problem with the ipod? I think I already know the answer to that one; a big fat NO!
The toy store did you a favour by exchanging the first one. They absolutely did not have to , and probably shouldn't have.
As to the incident with your boyfriend's father, he must have created quite a scene in order to be banned for a year from the store. Furthermore, what business did he have to confront the manager at all? The issue did not concern him. He went into the store to intimidate the manager.
People that work in retail seem to take a lot of abuse from customers. Why customers think they can treat retail staff in this manner is beyond me.

Sometimes when electronics do not work properly, it is not the item but the person using the item.
Old 12-24-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamAndEmmasMom View Post
I've dealt with that manager twice now, and it was pretty much the same experience you had. He shouldn't even have that job if he doesn't want to do it!

I would complain to there head office about him. If it is policy he could have explained it better. I work with the public. If I treated any one in this manner, bad day or not I would be out on my butt!
Old 12-26-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by oasis View Post
I would complain to there head office about him. If it is policy he could have explained it better. I work with the public. If I treated any one in this manner, bad day or not I would be out on my butt!

Gee, maybe the customer should do their homework BEFORE they make a purchase. It doesn't take a genius to ask what the store policy is on refunds/exchanges. I'd be having a bad day too if I was confronted in the manner that tassy described. The customer IS NOT always right.
Old 12-27-2008
**Bronze-Level** Paid Account

No the customer may not always be right, but someone trained in customer service who is doing their job properly will leave the customer feeling as if they are, and that you have done everything in your power to rectify the situation. A happy customer means a repeat customer!