Lactose free milk??? Food & Dining

i SJ: Saint John, New Brunswick  Shopping, Classifieds, Jobs, Real Estate & Rentals, Discussion, Deals, Flyers, + more!

Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online!
Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online! See all recent posts Post a new ad / message Enhanced Features  Helpdesk
Business Advertising Sign-Up (Free!) Search
iSaintJohn Home Forums Home Contact Us Site Rules Terms of Use Privacy Statement

Visit the upgraded front page of iSJ for more info!

Free Saint John Visitor's Guide

Search the web:

Go Back   Saint John Classifieds & Forums > Other Discussion > Food & Dining

Old 12-21-2008

Default Topic: Lactose free milk???

Lactose free milk???

Is there anything out there that is lactose free that actually tastes like milk???
Have a 3 year old autistic son and we're trying to eliminate dairy products as it tends to give him frequent diarrhea.

I don't want to waste a fortune trying each product on the market, so far we have tried the plain flavoured "Silk" soy beverage, and he is not taking to it at all. I find it has a sweet vanilla flavour.

I'm looking to see if there is something that tastes like actuall milk so that maybe he doesn't notice a difference.
Old 12-21-2008
Long-Time Member (500+ posts)

Have you tried the drops that you add to regular milk that eliminates the lactose??? Lacteeze????, maybe, its been a while, lol. My son had a milk allergy when he was young and that is what we used. The only downfall that I remember is you have to add it to the milk 24 hours before drinking it.
Old 12-21-2008
Member (< 100 posts)

We buy the lactose free milk from Northumberland and Baxter's. It tastes the same as regular milk. 2 litres is close to five dollars though.
Old 12-21-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsBeasley View Post
Is there anything out there that is lactose free that actually tastes like milk???
Have a 3 year old autistic son and we're trying to eliminate dairy products as it tends to give him frequent diarrhea.

I don't want to waste a fortune trying each product on the market, so far we have tried the plain flavoured "Silk" soy beverage, and he is not taking to it at all. I find it has a sweet vanilla flavour.

I'm looking to see if there is something that tastes like actuall milk so that maybe he doesn't notice a difference.
Try the flavoured soy milks, (vanilla, stawberry or chocolate) or lacteeze. My kids never drank "milk", but they did drink soy.(just not the plain, according to them it is yuckie!lol)

Last edited by sanstu; 12-21-2008 at 04:25 PM..
Old 12-21-2008

When I was working at a daycare a child took these certain lactose pills whenever she ate or drank anything with dairy in it. I can't remember what they were called but they might work as well.
Old 12-21-2008

Why don't you try weaning him instead of cutting it out "cold turkey" so to speak. Mix his milk with the lactose free product of your choice, eventually just giving him the lactose free. This should only take 3 or 4 days. Also don't let him see what you are pouring him.
Old 12-21-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by livkat View Post
Why don't you try weaning him instead of cutting it out "cold turkey" so to speak. Mix his milk with the lactose free product of your choice, eventually just giving him the lactose free. This should only take 3 or 4 days. Also don't let him see what you are pouring him.

Very sneaky livkat!hehehehe But yes, this does work!
Also limit all other dairy products, Mrs. B. Most children get too much dairy in the run of a day. You can also put chocolate or strawberry syrup in any of the mentioned products.
Old 12-21-2008

I did try chocolate syrup....a no go. Tonight I even tried making pudding....another no go. I guess I'll just try other options mentioned and see how it goes. "sigh"
Old 12-21-2008

It's unfortunate that he doesn't like Silk, I find it so yummy! My kids HATED soy milk at first, but now they don't like to drink cow's milk. We did what Livkat suggested and 'weened' them. It worked REALLY well! We mostly drink Silk, and So Good. mostly Vanilla flavor mmm!
Old 12-21-2008

I totally understand your problem Mrs. B. I am in the process of switching my 19 month old from Nutramigen to Rice milk. Kids can be so darn stubborn!lol.
Not to hyjak the thread, but does anyone have any knowledege on a good calcium supplement or multi vitamin for a little one. My Doc is great, but his suggestion was to browse the pharmacy. I would love to hear any suggestions please
Old 12-21-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsBeasley View Post
I did try chocolate syrup....a no go. Tonight I even tried making pudding....another no go. I guess I'll just try other options mentioned and see how it goes. "sigh"
Try weening from cows milk to silk, adding additional chocolate to the chocolate silk. It will take several days but you will notice a difference in your son. Try 2/3's milk to 1/3 soy. Gradually increase the soy milk. Don't try with plain soy milk. Use the flavoured ones. You could also make a smoothie. Call it a milkshake. Strawberry soy milk, frozen strawberries and yogurt. Or OJ, soy milk (vanilla) and frozen mango. Just about any combination will work. Pick and choose the fruits and flavours that both you and you son will enjoy. If he sees you drinking it he is more likely to try it. Good luck.

Last edited by sanstu; 12-21-2008 at 08:24 PM..
Old 01-06-2009
Member (100 to 500 posts)

I'm lactose intolerant and I buy the "Lacteeze" brand of milk. It comes in 1%, 2%, and chocolate. I really like it and have given it to my daughter when we've run out of regular milk and she never notices the difference. I don't particularly like the soy stuff either.
Chapman's makes lactose free ice cream but sadly it only comes in chocolate and vanilla but it's creamy like really ice cream. I find soy ice cream has a strange texture.
Old 01-06-2009
**Bronze-Level** Paid Account

Have you tried the raw milk

I found that as we were growing up, we could not drink the regular milk found in stores as we had allergies, so mom would get the pure cow milk or goat milk.
We were able to have that and all but one of us grew out of the milk allergie.
annie
Old 01-06-2009
**Bronze-Level** Paid Account

Have you tried the raw milk

I found that as we were growing up, we could not drink the regular milk found in stores as we had allergies, so mom would get the pure cow milk or goat milk.
We were able to have that and all but one of us grew out of the milk allergie.
annie