Rude People General: Discussion

i SJ: Saint John, New Brunswick  Shopping, Classifieds, Jobs, Real Estate & Rentals, Discussion, Deals, Flyers, + more!

Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online!
Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online! See all recent posts Post a new ad / message Enhanced Features  Helpdesk
Business Advertising Sign-Up (Free!) Search
iSaintJohn Home Forums Home Contact Us Site Rules Terms of Use Privacy Statement

Visit the upgraded front page of iSJ for more info!

Free Saint John Visitor's Guide

Search the web:

Go Back   Saint John Classifieds & Forums > General & Local Discussion > General: Discussion

Old 12-20-2008
Long-Time Member (500+ posts)

Default Topic: Rude People

Rude People

Just because there is snow on the ground does not mean that handicap parking spots disappear. In 3 different parking lots today I took notice of people pulling into spots that were painted on the pavement, but because they were partially covered in snow the handicap sign seemed to be ignored. Come on people don't be so rude!
Old 12-20-2008

for some reason i find myself waiting in parking lots an awful lot. and upon doing so i have a chance to watch.
now it might just be me, but 99 percent of the people that park in the handicapped zone are clearly not handicapped.
i may not be seeing the whole picture but it seems to me that if you have a slight limp or you are over weight or you are brandishing a tag that is owned by the family. you can park there.
i see people park in the zone, and they may very well be handicapped. but low and behold they send their spry son or daughter in to the store for them as they sit and take up space in the zone.
and as for the whole expectant mother zone. give me a break. the only people i see pulling into them are people who may be in their first trimester. sprinting to the big sale.
come on people.
if you pull into the zone, you should at least pull out your walker, wheelchair, huge belly or have help getting into the store.
don't dare pull into the zone and get on better than i can.
if things are that bad. get yourself a driver who lets you off at the door and picks you up when you come out.
and for god's sake don't walk around the mall for three hours claiming to be lame.
Old 12-20-2008

Dem's fightin words.

I use a handicap parking space and I have a placard. I walk with a slight limp, more of a waddle and possess no walker or wheelchair. I use a cane only when I need to go to a store on bad days. Most bad days I stay at home. I do however have a serious heart condition and am battling cancer and have 4 crushed disc's in my lower back but none of these you'd see at a distance or even up close for that matter.

And why the devil should I have to be so handicapped that I need someone to take me to the store and drop me off at the door. Why, so I won't need a handicapped space? I, like most handicapped people,value my independence just as much as you do. I will drive myself as long as I am able to haul my huge mass into and out of my car. How would you like to have someone take you to the store and drop you off and pick you up. A little inconvenient, don't you think? This is the 21 st century not the eighteen hundreds when handicapped people were hidden away.

Keep in mind handicapped does not necessarily mean something wrong with your legs. It could mean any part of your whole body making walking or ambulating difficult. Most of us with ambulation problems are glad to be able to get out and shop. Wheather it's 30 minutes or 3 hours, it's nice to get out. There are a lot of days when we can't. I personally only have a standing time of about 15 to 20 minutes and don't want to spend that time trying to get from my car to the store or trying to push a heavy cart far across the parking lot.

I have seen people give me the evil eye when I ( heavy set woman) put up my placard and get out of my car but I see nobody has the berries to come over and comment on me using the handicap parking space. I guess they are not happy unless I were to open my door, fall out and drag myself into the store on my hands and knees. I wish they would come over and ask me instead of sit there and assume that because I don't limp , I shouldn' be parked there. Believe me, I would quickly set them straight. In no uncertain terms.

Anytime you want to trade places with me for the sake of a good parking space, buddy be my guest. I'd trade places with you in a heartbeat.

Last edited by inuit; 12-20-2008 at 10:50 PM..
Old 12-20-2008

You know, just an afterthought, before I became handicapped, I never really notice hanicapped parking spaces. I didn't need them and didn't really care who did. They weren't there for my benefit. Isn't that funny. I didn't covet them nor did I care who parked there. As long as I didn't have to I guess. Boy how times have changed.
Old 12-20-2008
**Silver-Level** Paid Account

This time of year brings out frustration in people who feel the need to finish their shopping and can't find a spot, yet see a whole row of empty spaces sitting unused. I agree that some people abuse the placard system, but for the most part the majority of disabilities are not visible. You can't see severe breathing problems or bad knees or heart conditions.
As far as people not noticing the spaces, if they are snow-covered and you are not familiar with that particular store, you really might not notice. I had the opposite experience at McAllister, I pulled into a spot that I was not sure if it was designated or not. I didn't even shut the car off at first because I got out and looked all around and searched under the car- I could not believe it was not a designated space since it was so close to the door, but it wasn't. It was just in a part of the parking lot that I never use.
Old 12-21-2008

I was out last week or the one before doing some shopping and I saw this couple walking perfectly fine out of Walmart (no limps, no nothing), and get into their car that was parked in a clearyly marked wheelchair/handicap spot. I couldn't beleive it. There was no one in the car waiting either!! Plain ignorance!!

I find the people this year at this time of year are more ignorant that I have ever seen them. Loads of unnecessary accidents from people rushing to get things that really aren't important. ...Seeing as Christmas is WAY over commercialized and getting worse as each year passes!!

I heard that they say us people in the Martimes are supposed to be quite the curtious drivers and that's what causes alot of the accidents...? If that's true ...Not this season!! Guess it's humbug for the aspect of drivers and driving this year!!
Old 12-21-2008

I believe the only handicap an ADULT would have that would prevent them from driving would be if they were blind. (Also not every adult has a drivers licence.) As inuit pointed out, she values her independence! (great post BTW, inuit)
Unfortunately oldnugly, children can also be handicapped, and no they can't be dropped off at the entrance of the mall/grocery store/hospital.
Livkats post was pointing out the problem with people parking in these spaces in the winter; when the marking isn't totally visible due to snow. Whether it's summer or winter, these spaces are still available , they don't change! People, don't be rude, leave the first several spaces for the people that truly need them. Livkats baby girl will thank you!
Old 12-21-2008

Old N Ugly, I was the same thought as you until I read Inuits`post. I see another side of the coin.

But I would like to bring another side to the coin...people who sit there parked in them...MOVE and find another spot and wait somewhere else. Haul your butt out so someone who NEEDS the spot can have it! Not a freaking waiting spot. I have seen someone from here do that and it burns my butt. You can wait somewhere else while whoever runs into whatever store...and then you can drive to the door and pick them up!
Old 12-21-2008

[quote=Pumpkin;293850]I was out last week or the one before doing some shopping and I saw this couple walking perfectly fine out of Walmart (no limps, no nothing), and get into their car that was parked in a clearyly marked wheelchair/handicap spot. I couldn't beleive it. There was no one in the car waiting either!! Plain ignorance!!

Not everyone has a visible handicap. One or both of these people could have bad hearts or breathing problems. I'm sure I get some looks parking in handicap spots, since I am a healthy 28 year old, but my 19 month old has disabilities that prevent her from walking right now. We don't use a wheelchair either, just her stroller, and kidsert.

Also the other day I was at the Regional with my daughter for physio. We parked in the last spot of handicap parking, and when I came out I saw that someone thought they could share my spot. They had blocked my driver side van doors causing me to have to put my daughter from the wrong side of the van. Needless to say, they got a nasty note on their windsheild.
Old 12-21-2008

People with severe breathing problems can also get a tag for these spots. Unless they have an attack and start flopping on the ground, you'd never know they had a problem. But walking across a large parking lot could put them in the hospital. Not all conditions necessitating the use of these spots shows itself as a limp. You never know what a persons medical condition is just by looking at them walking across a parking lot.

People with cancer don't wear signs around there necks saying they have cancer.

On the other hand I have seen teenagers driving moms, Dads, or thier grandparents cars that will stick these tags up and get out with a half dozen friends and run into the mall.

These are the ones that bug me..
Old 12-21-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by oasis View Post

On the other hand I have seen teenagers driving moms, Dads, or thier grandparents cars that will stick these tags up and get out with a half dozen friends and run into the mall.

These are the ones that bug me..

I saw this happen at Tim's in Quispam. As the teens were getting out of the car the police pulled up, and gave the driver a ticket! LMAO, Sometimes oasis there is justice!
Old 12-21-2008

I saw this at McAllister place one time. I went up to the driver and asked him if the car was his or his parents. He told me it was his grandmothers. I told him that it would be a shame if his grandmother came into the parking lot and could not get one of these spots because some kid had used it just because he had a tag that was not meant for him. Then have to walk across the lot and drop dead of a heart attack because some healthy kid was to lazy to walk an extra 30 feet.

I just walked away. When I turned around he was getting intop the car and he moved it. Boy were his friends mad at me!
Old 12-21-2008

fighting words?
i am not that ignorant. and i do have compassion for those who have difficulty in getting around. i also know that not all disabilities are visible.
that being said.
what i was talking about was the blatant disregard for those spaces.
for instance, i was watching one day and a van pulled into one of the spots. out came the tag. one of the five guys literally ran into the store and the other four sat there and drank beer. the guy was in the store for about half an hour. i went up to the van and gave them the WTF shrug. and they promptly flung open the door and got all puffy.
and yes i did make a complaint.
the old guy in the pickup truck with the oxygen bottle and mask that took up a space while the young girl jumped out and went skipping into the store.
it is true that i may not know the reason for some uses of those spaces and 99% was an exaggeration.

i am sorry if i offended anyone, that was not my intention.

i came from a time before there was designated parking. and back then it was common to see parking places left open just the same. back when people cared.

i guess the point i was trying to make is. i don't begrudge the fact that the spots are there and i know they are important. that is why it bothers me so much when they are abused.

of all the designated parking. stork spots, handicapped spots, police spots, loading zones and fire lanes. the only one i see left open and not abused are the police spots????????
cops don't even use them.
Old 12-21-2008

Here we go again.
Old 12-21-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaj27 View Post
Here we go again.
Care to elaborate?
Old 12-21-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanstu View Post
Care to elaborate?
Another great thread about parking spots.

What more do I need to explain?
Old 12-21-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaj27 View Post
Another great thread about parking spots.

What more do I need to explain?
I think that livkat was attempting to educate people by her post. I suppose her frustration stems from her very young child being handicapped and these spaces make it safer to take her child out.

BTW, I don't have many pet peeves, however this issue is at the top of my list, and yes I will confront anyone parking in these spaces without a handicap sign.
Old 12-21-2008
**Silver-Level** Paid Account

And I was wanting to point out that being in an unfamiliar parking lot might mean you DON'T know they are marked spots if they are snow-covered, just because they are near the door does not mean they are designated, as I was mentioning about the space I parked in the other day. It must be the last spot near a store door in NB that isn't painted blue.
Old 12-21-2008

If you're unsure don't park there; or look around, if cars parked next to you have a handicapped placard up chances are you are in a handicapped parking spot. People are inconsiderate when it comes to parking spots. Use common sense; most people that utilize these spaces really do require them. And finally, if you are familiar with the parking lot, just because there is snow on the ground, it doesn't mean you can take up these spaces. Just think how difficult it may be for a parent with a handicapped child to get in and out of a vehicle.
Old 12-22-2008
Member (100 to 500 posts)

I read a few places that there are hardly any handicap parking spaces? I don’t know where you guys shop, but I know wal mart and superstore always have handicap parking, every time I go there, I see them available. I have NEVER once parked in a handicap parking, I was raised to NEVER park there, don’t know what that stuck in my head as everything else didn’t. However, I have used the pregnancy parking when I’m dragging around my boyfriend’s high risk pregnant sister. Although out of 20 trips to wal mart, we only got to use it once at 12 o’clock at night, for the reason that people are abusing it.fficeffice" />>>
The reason I’m posting is that I think there are plenty of handicap parking at wal mart and superstore, I know the mall has a bit, I don’t know about other places, but the places I listed have enough.>>
This is IMO