New website for genealogy research, Canada Genealogy & Local History

i SJ: Saint John, New Brunswick  Shopping, Classifieds, Jobs, Real Estate & Rentals, Discussion, Deals, Flyers, + more!

Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online!
Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online! See all recent posts Post a new ad / message Enhanced Features  Helpdesk
Business Advertising Sign-Up (Free!) Search
iSaintJohn Home Forums Home Contact Us Site Rules Terms of Use Privacy Statement

Visit the upgraded front page of iSJ for more info!

Free Saint John Visitor's Guide

Search the web:

Go Back   Saint John Classifieds & Forums > General & Local Discussion > Genealogy & Local History

Old 07-18-2008
**Silver-Level** Paid Account

Default Topic: New website for genealogy research, Canada

New website for genealogy research, Canada

http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/index-e.html
Old 08-03-2008

Sorry to create debate but this site has been around for sometime. It's actually the "Library and Archives of Canada" website.

I did find this website recently for those researchers in Charlotte County... http://www.heritagecharlotte.com
Old 08-05-2008
**Silver-Level** Paid Account

Some parts of it are new, I had used it years ago doing family tree research, and then one night last month I saw it advertised on tv, went back and revisited it and it had been updated and much more added; the search engine had been improved etc. It's a great resource, I have downloaded and printed copies of the WWI enlistment papers for my great-grandfather and several great-uncles on both sides, and from them learned some things I never knew, like one branch of my family is Catholic. That led to a whole other interesting series of questions on how that came to be, since they emigrated from Cornwall as C of E. The enlistment papers are fascinating in the reading between the lines, and give current addresses etc, so I can go right now and look at the place my family members were living in almost a century ago, some of whom I never knew and some of whom I only knew as nearly dead old men in hospital beds and nursing homes.
Old 08-08-2008
Member (100 to 500 posts)

CEF records - WW1

The attestation papers for WW1 veterans online at the National Archives reveal the tiniest bit of information about the soldier. The complete service file contains a wealth of information on his/her military service, and in some cases one will find personal or family information, as well as comments which may relate to previous military service, post service, or even DVA pensions. All WW1 service files are public records, which means anyone can order a copy of the complete file. Some information relating to other persons such as addresses, are sometimes blacked out for privacy reasons. You can order the file online - oh yes, you do have to pay for the photocopying!

These service files only relate to those WW1 veterans who were members of the Canadian Expeditionary Force who served overseas. There are some members of the militia, expecially at the beginning of the war, who saw home service, did not enlist in the CEF, and therefore there is no service file.

I have collected biographical data on over 23,000 NBers who served during WW1, and the 600+ in the Boer War. Data entry to now ongoing for the 40,000 NBers who served during WW2 and the 1800 who served in Korea. If you have information on a NB veteran, regardless of which nationaly military force they served with, for either WW2 or Korea, be nice to hear from you.
Old 08-10-2008
**Bronze-Level** Paid Account

Did you find any Waddell's while looking

Hi there,
I have been looking for the Waddell's that served in the war, wondered if you had passed any as you have been researching this for awhile. I was told one time that there was also a lady Helen Waddell who served but have been unable to find any more on her. We have a picture of a waddell in uniform with two other people in uniform, and on the back of the picture, it says, middle one, Waddell, lost his legs in the war. We have a mirror with the three's pictures, a bible, all belonging to a Waddell, but as you know the stories go down through the generations, and no one remembers a Waddell that lost his legs.
So if you have any info I would be very pleased,
many thanks
Annie
Old 08-11-2008
Member (100 to 500 posts)

Which War

hi Annie:

which war are you searching, WW1 or WW2? Do you know if he served in Canada, the USA or with the British forces. I suspect you have already checked some American and British sources - thousands of Canadians served with the military with both of those forces. thanks.