I don't know where to begin...:( Pets & Animals

i SJ: Saint John, New Brunswick  Shopping, Classifieds, Jobs, Real Estate & Rentals, Discussion, Deals, Flyers, + more!

Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online!
Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online! See all recent posts Post a new ad / message Enhanced Features  Helpdesk
Business Advertising Sign-Up (Free!) Search
iSaintJohn Home Forums Home Contact Us Site Rules Terms of Use Privacy Statement

Visit the upgraded front page of iSJ for more info!

Free Saint John Visitor's Guide

Search the web:

Go Back   Saint John Classifieds & Forums > Other Discussion > Pets & Animals

Old 09-13-2010
Long-Time Member (500+ posts)

Default Topic: I don't know where to begin...:(

I don't know where to begin...:(

So I did something that I haven't done in a very long time. My daughter was looking for a particular item for her cats. We went into a particular pet store.

I tried to stay away from the back, and really I should have never went in. I have never, and I mean NEVER seen such disgusting, disturbing treatment of dogs in a "pet" store!!

The dogs were filthy, they were laying in some of their own feces and lord knows what else. What should have been white fur was dirt! There was puppy poop smeared on the glass from them trying to get out.

The thing that has broken my heart the most is this~ a "Bichon Frise" puppy that was born in March, 2 of them housed in the same confinements. I asked to take her out, she immediately snuggled into my neck and started whimpering. She wrapped her paws around my arm as if saying "please don't let me go"..

We put her on the floor to see how she would react to some stimulation. She just flopped down, and didn't move..whimpering. My heart broke for this little girl, if I had the money she sure as heck wouldn't be there!!

How do they (employees) not see the filthy conditions that these animals are "living" in... I know I can't save them all...but I sure would love to be able to save this little girl. I can't seem to get her out of my head..and heart.

I know this is just re flogging a dead issue...I just needed to vent.
Old 09-13-2010

DISGUSTING treatment of animals, did you ask/say anything to the employees???? I used to enjoy looking at the puppies because they were so cute and playful. I can't bring myself to even go in the pet stores now because my heart just breaks for them. I hope your venting helped, its nice to know there are people out there that care
Old 09-13-2010

It was just words falling on deaf ears coffeegal. I have considered seeing if they would sell her to me for less. Not that I can really afford to have another dog..but GAWD...the filth was incredible. I know right now that if I was to call the SPCA they would say that they are "within" the standards according to them. My heart just breaks for that little girl, my concern to is this...so she doesn't
sell..where does she go then? Back to the mill to have the crap bred out of her? And then the sale of her litters back to the stores?
Old 09-13-2010

Okay, so now I want to adopt her too. I think my extreme soft spot for animals, especially dogs, is going to be the death of me. I wish there was better advice I had for you. ***huggs***
Old 09-13-2010

I know...animals will be the death of me to! lol...
Old 09-13-2010
Member (100 to 500 posts)

I believe the laws have just changed and you should call the SPCA. I would at least make the effort.
Old 09-13-2010

I wonder if it was the same pet store we took our four year old daughter into last tuesday to see the kitties? It was the day after a long weekend and my mother in law and I were actually discusted to see the conditions of the cages of all the animals, from the fish to the puppies! I was thinking maybe because the store was closed on the holiday monday, but that is no escuse!! it broke my heart The entire store smelled awful and I felt so bad for all the animals !! I also think its crazy how they want so much for their dogs, one a boxer mixs of some kind was 800! I would never buy any animal from that pet store after seeing those conditions!!
Old 09-13-2010

Shelby....YES.... I am going to say it was probably the same store. Long weekend or not, someone should have been in to feed and clean the animals. The store DOES stink from the moment you open the door, you are accosted with the smell! I realize that some of the staff are or seem to be students and possibly their first jobs...BUT they certainly are not being trained in the right manner.

I think that I will be making a call to the SPCA to see if they could at least look into the conditions of the animals. It's just sooo sad
Old 09-13-2010

Yes I think I am aslo going to call I mean if we dont stand up for these animals who will ? I have a blak lab my self, two fish and a cat,all animals deserve atleast a chance,really how do they expect people to adopt these pets when u see them lying in a smelly dirty cage with god knows what kind of health problems! Does anyone know where they get their animals ? I was also curious if the dogs get out for any type of excerise at all ? really breaks my heart and I would suggest anyone who is looking for a cat or puppy to love , go to the animal rescue league, they are sooooooo over populated and have some really nice animals
Old 09-13-2010

Shelby, I would say that from the reaction that I got from that poor little girl, there is NO socialization done what-so-ever! Unless it's when the cages are changed or they are being fed. I am just so concerned about the health issues and "living" conditions for these animals.
Old 09-13-2010
Member (< 100 posts)

I don't know where to begin...

Please let us on ISaintJohn know if and when you contact the SPCA. I too believe the laws have been changed and hopefully a complaint of this nature can be looked into and something done about the conditions of this particular place. I am a hugh animal lover and this latest news is very upsetting. I also cannot go in there because of the conditions you describe. I went one time hoping to converse with anyone who worked there re some of the cages, but everyone, somehow, disappeared, possibly reading the look on my face, and not wanting to give out any negative info, because then there would be less sales. I had thought that they may have cleaned up their act a bit, because wasn't there complaints concerning this place in the past also??
Old 09-13-2010

How much did they want for her??? Too bad we couldn't all just donate a few dollars toward your purchasing, whoops I mean "Saving" (wrong choice of words) her from that prison, I would certainly put some towards it please let us know, thanks.

Vix
Old 09-13-2010

Oh Vix, thank you for the thought, however...the price they are asking is ridiculous! Tomorrow I am going to call the SPCA, I can't imagine that employees working there don't "care"....I mean would they think it was acceptable for a human baby to live in those conditions? I dunno....it's just sad.
Old 09-14-2010

You know, you will take tht dog out and another one will take its place. You may mean well, but it doesnt help the situation in the big picture, they just need to be SHUT DOWN
Old 09-14-2010

The dogs in that store break my heart everytime. My neice likes to go in and see the kitties and the fish. Its like a car wreck, I don't want to look but can't help myself when it comes to the puppies. I have made several comments to people standing there admiring the dogs, that these are puppy mill puppies and how they are difficult to house train, have possible genetic defects and are WAY OVER PRICED! A puppy or kitten is not an impulse purchase. I believe some cities have had protesters in front of these types of stores and that maybe public education is needed. I hope the SPCA can do something with this place. I cannot believe that anyone still buys dogs from a pet store we need to get the word out that this not acceptable.
Old 09-14-2010

I have to stay away from there also. I've found myself stating loudly in the middle of the store how dirty and disgusting the place is and how ridiculous the store and any customer would be to pay thousands of dollars for a mixed breed dog!

As easy as it might seem to get that puppy out of there, you'd just be creating more demand for the puppy mills that they get there dogs from. It's all about supply and demand. If people would stop buying the animals from there, maybe the mills would go out of business. Stop buying pets from that other site that starts with a k also.
Old 09-14-2010

Oh I know Puppyluv that another one would replace it..and that's soo sad!! Supply and demand is right, and I don't disagree...I just can't imagine that they wouldn't take the "time" to at least socialize and keep them clean!!

Too bad there wasn't a way that a "pet" store wasn't allowed by law to sell cats and dogs. I realize that there are reptiles that are probably facing the same issues. It just seems that with cats/dogs that their population is just soo much larger..I mean look at the ARL because of careless owners!!
Old 09-15-2010

I am sure the new law does include both breeders and pet stores. I am surprised that store has not been investigated by SPCA already seeing so so many complaints about how they treat their poor little puppy/kitten mill animals. A few calls may get them interested in that particular store and maybe we an effect a change in their care. If we save one animal, that's one less animal to be abused. Did you call T4?
Old 09-15-2010

It's all about the $. I stopped going in to PU a long time ago when I saw Westies stinky and dirty and full of poop. I do not support them by buying ANYTHING there. Buying from the petstore is the WRONG thing to do..even though it is difficult. That is NOT rescue..that is purchasing and they will just fill that spot. Don't buy from pet stores and don't buy from puppy mills..that is the only way this will stop.. You are also not doing the breeders any favour that are stuck popping out puppies and then killed almost always inhumanely when they don't create a profit anymore. Just DO NOT go in there.. Tell everyone you know not to support them.
Old 09-15-2010

All I can say right now...Gotta love voicemail....