Got to stop this cat from bringing home dead things Pets & Animals

i SJ: Saint John, New Brunswick  Shopping, Classifieds, Jobs, Real Estate & Rentals, Discussion, Deals, Flyers, + more!

Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online!
Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online! See all recent posts Post a new ad / message Enhanced Features  Helpdesk
Business Advertising Sign-Up (Free!) Search
iSaintJohn Home Forums Home Contact Us Site Rules Terms of Use Privacy Statement

Visit the upgraded front page of iSJ for more info!

Free Saint John Visitor's Guide

Search the web:

Go Back   Saint John Classifieds & Forums > Other Discussion > Pets & Animals

Closed Thread

Old 08-21-2010
**Silver-Level** Paid Account

Default Topic: Got to stop this cat from bringing home dead things

Got to stop this cat from bringing home dead things

We have an outdoor cat and in the past month he has totally stepped up his campaign to rid the world of mice, birds, and moles. In the past two days he has brought us 4 things. My roommate is threatening to take him to the ARL. We need to discourage him. Is there a spray we can spritz him with that smells bad but isn't harmful? Water doesn't work, yelling at him doesn't work, putting him back out does nothing, making no recognition at all of his gift does nothing...I too am tired of staggering out in the morning bleary eyed and full bladdered and stepping square on a dead thing, since he loves to leave it right where I have to pass through to get to the bathroom. I've been reading cat behaviour forums and I know why they do it, what it means to them etc and I just need it to stop. I have had so many cats in my life, all outdoor ones, and none of them have ever done it more than once, we always just yelled at them and chased them out and they never did it again.

Last edited by trinity; 08-21-2010 at 06:12 PM..
Old 08-22-2010

So you can get rid of him (arl) or make him an indoor cat. There is no other way.
Cat`s DO NOT have to be an outdoor cat. As a human you can ignore them until they understand they arent going to be going out (as people said in your last threàd here http://isaintjohn.com/classifieds/sh...d.php?t=120235
Old 08-22-2010
Member (100 to 500 posts)

Send a message via MSN to andrea Send a message via Yahoo to andrea

put a bell on him
Old 08-26-2010

Things like this just really annoy me. The cat is doing what is natural and an instinct to it. Yelling and squirting the cat won't change this behaviour. Honestly!!! Oh yes dump the cat at the ARL. Really great idea.

Putting a bell on is one idea..keeping the cat inside is another. Ya gotta get real.
Old 09-14-2010

Totally agree with Doggygirl on this one.
If you absolutely refuse to make the cat an indoor cat, then the bell idea is a good option. Then I too can hear it coming, when it starts digging up my flower beds and crapping in my yard and walking all over my car and tormenting my dogs who I must; by law, confine to my property.
Old 09-14-2010

Keep YOUR pet in YOUR house! Maybe I'll throw my kids and dogs outside at 3am because they want to go out. Taking the poor thing to the already ARL sounds like a great idea(sarcasm intended)! Our pets are our family and should not be left outdoors where they can be attacked, poisoned,hit by cars and any number of other horrible fates.Besides the fact Im tired of other peoples pets becoming my problem!
Old 09-15-2010
**Silver-Level** Paid Account

I'm closing this thread because I don't want it to become a flame fest and only one person has offered a sensible idea that does not violate MY belief systems on pet management. 40 years of life, nothing but outdoor cats, even on 12th Ave @ Kingsway in Vancouver, and I lost more cats to parental financial shortages than I ever did to animals or vehicles. For about 20 of those years I had very nasty elderly neighbours who would have let me know in no uncertain legal terms if my cats had been any problem to them and their fancy garden with grape vines and roses. My 3 previous outdoor cats lived to age 12, 15, and 19 and died of cancer, kidney failure, and extreme old age.
Closed Thread