Any way to get cats to stop bringing us their "prizes"? Pets & Animals

i SJ: Saint John, New Brunswick  Shopping, Classifieds, Jobs, Real Estate & Rentals, Discussion, Deals, Flyers, + more!

Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online!
Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online! See all recent posts Post a new ad / message Enhanced Features  Helpdesk
Business Advertising Sign-Up (Free!) Search
iSaintJohn Home Forums Home Contact Us Site Rules Terms of Use Privacy Statement

Visit the upgraded front page of iSJ for more info!

Free Saint John Visitor's Guide

Search the web:

Go Back   Saint John Classifieds & Forums > Other Discussion > Pets & Animals

Old 06-21-2010
**Silver-Level** Paid Account

Default Topic: Any way to get cats to stop bringing us their "prizes"?

Any way to get cats to stop bringing us their "prizes"?

Both cats have been very busy this summer catching and killing things and bringing them in the house. Sometimes they get back in unsupervised through an open window, other times they are just too fast and we open the door and whoop, there one is, standing proudly in the kitchen with some dead thing in his mouth. We have shown disapproval, misted with water bottles, tossed cat and dead thing and all back out the door and refused to let them in for hours, one we locked in his carrier for an hour, one was locked in the laundry room for the night...they just are not getting the message that this is NOT appreciated. These guys are extremely well fed, they have their choice of two brands of dry available all the time and two flavours of wet regularly plus Whiskas temptations some of the time. They are catching mice, moles, birds, moths, june bugs....they are neutered but their hunting instinct seems to have kicked into overdrive. It's bad enough to be caught unawares finding a dead thing on the carpet, it's the not completely dead ones that are the biggest problem trying to deal with.
Old 06-21-2010

They are treating you as their baby. Hence bringing you food. You can lock them in another room but after a few minutes they don't get why they are there and will only become annoyed with you.
To beat the treats they bring, just don't let them out.
Old 06-21-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppyluv View Post
To beat the treats they bring, just don't let them out.
Which is NOT an option, sorry. I think we've beaten THAT topic to death in another thread.

Last edited by trinity; 06-21-2010 at 10:54 PM..
Old 06-22-2010
Long-Time Member (500+ posts)

Hi they are feeding you. All of the punishment in the world won't stop it. You are just confusing them as to why they are being punished. Sorry. cats are not dogs and the concept of event and punishment will not work. I have outdoor cats as you know but I seldom get "treats" except Suzie who brings them in alive to play with. She never bites them or harms them just chases them and swats them. There are never any bites on them. I have about 3 live mice in my house thanks to her.
Now to try to help your problem. I know the treats are disgusting. I used to hate them and still do when my other cat brings them in. I keep glass bottles on hand so I can scoop the "treat" into the jar and toss it into the garbage. The glass jar so the cats can't smell them. If it is still alive and injured, I still scoop it into the jar. It will die either from injuries or sofficate in the jar. I can't kill it myself. If they are alive and not badly injured I will take it outside far away from the house. Eventually if they get no reaction from you, they will ease it and nearly stop. Just matter of factly scoop it up and don't make a fuss about it. The novelity will wear of for them after awhile. Sorry I can't be of more help. I used to have 12 indoor/outdoor cats so I know "treats" well.They are just showing you they love you.
Old 06-22-2010

Funny, I never knew male cats to do that. It doesn't bother me, except when I stagger out minus eyeglasses for that first trip to the bathroom and something squashes underfoot. My roommate on the other hand, whose cats they are, is freaking and threatening to give them away if they don't stop.
Old 06-22-2010

Yeah my males have all done it too. I think it is love. LOL My little Hammy has just started to do this now after me having him almost 4 years. I guess he finally feels enough love to feed us. Oh my. I know the early morning "mush" too. I learned through stepping in cat puke, poo, pee and treats and regurgitated treats to always take the second in the mornings to slip on slippers. Not quite so bad when it is not bare feet. LOL. Tell your roommate it is the highest form of cat love to be presented with gifts. LOL That and save all of your jam and cheese wiz bottles.
Old 06-22-2010

so...we should not feed them such good food so they will love us less or something? Right, dry food from the Dollar Store it is, no more buffet selection for the furry men in black...just kidding. It does almost seem like they are thanking us for their favourite foods being available. One day we gave one those Whiskas temptations, he is just nuts for them like the cat in the commercial. When I was done giving them to him, he immediately wanted out. He went out and came back in under ten minutes with a fresh kill. It was almost like "you fed me a treat, now here's yours". It would have been funny if it wasn't so gross.

Last edited by trinity; 06-22-2010 at 08:46 PM..
Old 06-24-2010
Member (100 to 500 posts)

oh man suffocating them in a jar. That is so sad.
Old 06-24-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggygirl View Post
oh man suffocating them in a jar. That is so sad.
I agree....
Old 06-26-2010

I know it does sound awful but they are already badly injured and will not survive. I have not the heart to smash them on the head or anything. As awful as sofficating in a jar sounds they are left alone to die and not being tormented by the cat. I let them go if they are not injured. Cats killing rodents is nature's way.
Old 06-26-2010

My kitty just brought in a little mole. She dropped him on thr floor. I picked up the mole and found all his limbs worked and he has no holes in him so I took him out and tucked him behind the tar paper by the house, My cats are in for the night now so he may get himself back home.
Old 06-27-2010

as much as you feel cats should be free to roam, I feel birds should be free to live their lives without being mauled to death. Smashing them on the head would be more humane. Suffocating anything is terrible. I'm sorry I agree with you on a lot of things but not on this.
Old 06-27-2010

No problem Doggie. I understand where you are coming from. We can agree to disagree on this I guess. I can't bring myself to smash anything on the head but that's me. I do what I can with the rodents my cats bring in. I was not looking to make apologies.
Old 06-30-2010

Well, at least the cats are consistent and always leave them in exactly two places, right in front of the pink rocker my roommate always uses in her living room, and right in front of my computer desk that I "live" at in my living room. There is no mistaking that they are looking to give them to us, by bringing them right to the place we each spend the most time. He ran in tonight with one in his mouth and I had to take time to find shoes to track him down, and there it was, 4 legs in the air on the floor in front of the rocker. I am glad I found it and not her.