pets emergency preparedness kits Pets & Animals

i SJ: Saint John, New Brunswick  Shopping, Classifieds, Jobs, Real Estate & Rentals, Discussion, Deals, Flyers, + more!

Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online!
Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online! See all recent posts Post a new ad / message Enhanced Features  Helpdesk
Business Advertising Sign-Up (Free!) Search
iSaintJohn Home Forums Home Contact Us Site Rules Terms of Use Privacy Statement

Visit the upgraded front page of iSJ for more info!

Free Saint John Visitor's Guide

Search the web:

Go Back   Saint John Classifieds & Forums > Other Discussion > Pets & Animals

Old 05-06-2010
Long-Time Member (500+ posts)

Default Topic: pets emergency preparedness kits

pets emergency preparedness kits

I was just reading the topic above on pets preparedness in the event of an ememrgency. It's amazing the things you don't think of. I don't have an emergency preparedness kit stacked and ready for in the evemt of a disaster but I did download the kit instructions from the web and I have it stored in the first drawer in case I ever have to assemble a fit quickly. It will serve as a good checklist. I do have all of the items that are listed in the house.

I added the cat food to the list but when I was reading the pet preparedness list above I realized there were a lot of things I do not have quickly at hand. I will now assemble the pictures of each cat and their medical records in a quick convenient place that can be grabbed quickly.

I will also go out and get a couple of big roasting pans at the dollar store to have on hand too. I will bend them and store them in the cat carriers so it will all be in one place.

There are quite a few other things too that I had not thought of that I will now add to my own list that I keep in my drawer. I will put the pics and the medical records in a zip lock baggie and store it uinderneath the checklists

My checklist for humans in the house include water, food, manual can opener, flashlight and batteries, radio with extra batteries, first aid kit, copies of perscriptions, extra keys for the house and car, money,change of clothing and footwear, sleeping bag, toiletries, toilet paper, utensils, garbage bags, javex, tools, small fuel operated stove and fuel, whistle and duct tape. I also included several ropes and a car plug in hot water maker for coffee or soup although it is not mentioned in the list. I keep two bic lighters in the bag with the candles. Most of the small items I keep in the drawer with the checklists. (small radio, batteries, tape,whistle.

Last edited by inuit; 05-06-2010 at 04:36 PM..
Old 05-07-2010

I will probably come off sounding really dumb here, but can I ask what the roasting pans and javex would be used for? The car plug in water heater was something I would never have thought of, but what a great idea.
Old 05-07-2010
Long-Time Member (500+ posts)

The javex is used to decontaminate drinking water if need be or to clean any unclean area (like buckets used for human waste) ) Bleach is the only cleaner that will kill any germ or microorganizism.

Roasting pans to be used as litter pans in an emergency if you had to take your animals and keep them somewhere in an emergency. Like if they had to stay in a van or someone's basement or something.

I got both of my car plug in water boilers at value village over the years for I think 3.99 each. You can buy them new at walmart for a bit more than that though. I have used mine with wonderful (if a bit slow) results. Godsends.

I keep basic tools, blankets , first aid kit and ropes (dollar store nylon ropes) in my car all of the time. Over the years I have used all of my supplies. I have used the rope for everything from pulling fallen trees off the road to helping pull a car out of the snowbank in winter. Have stopped at accidents and used my first aid kit and blankets. Tools, I'd never be without along with boster cables, a bottle of brake fluid , a jug of mixed antifreeze and a jug of motor oil. And of course my booster pack and a roll of paper towels. You just never know.

Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

Last edited by inuit; 05-07-2010 at 08:39 PM..