Crestor cholesterol meds :: Saint John, NB - Health & Wellness

Saint John, New Brunswick  Shopping, Classifieds, Jobs, Real Estate & Rentals, Discussion, Deals, Flyers, + more!

Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online!
Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online! See all recent posts Post a new ad / message Enhanced Features  Helpdesk
Business Advertising Sign-Up (Free!) Search
iSaintJohn Home Forums Home Contact Us Site Rules Terms of Use Privacy Statement

Special iSJ Features: 
Shopping Mall
Links to dozens of sites
Online Flyers
Links to flyers for Sobeys, Superstore, Sears, drugstores, & many more retailers.
iSJ Paid Advertising
It's easy, effective, & affordable. Reach thousands of people for as little as $5.55 per week!
Search the web:

Featured Advertiser:

Naturally for Life - the eco store (NOW OPEN)! We offer an excellent selection of eco-friendly and fair-trade products, knowledge, and superior customer service!

Advertise Here

Go Back   Saint John Classifieds & Forums > Other Discussion > Health & Wellness

Old 12-22-2009
**Silver-Level** Paid Account

Default Topic: Crestor cholesterol meds

Crestor cholesterol meds

I was wondering if anyone else had experienced these side effects. My doctor put me on it last month,then I had a blood test, and stopped taking it for a week or so til I got the test results. It did significantly lower my cholesterol from 8.4 to 4.4. However, It makes me feel like I have NO energy, like the simple act of getting out of the car to go in the house is too much. Clothes aren't getting put away, and the garbage didn't get taken out last Friday because the stairs were too much. I'm sleeping fine, nothing else in my life has changed. I just feel like someone stuck a hose in me and sucked out all my energy. Then there is the craving/grazing periods where I just randomly eat anything that doesn't eat me first, not huge quantities, just anything, sampling at random. For instance, tonight (after supper, in about a 2 hr period) I had chicken fingers, a veggie wrap, dark chocolate, two cups of flavoured coffee, tortilla chips and dip, chocolate cake, eggnog, carrot sticks, Crystal Light... getting the picture? Other nights I would find myself with a peanut butter sandwich, tomato soup, licorice, cheese and sliced meat, while eating jam with a spoon. In the 10 days I wasn't taking it, the tiredness and grazing stopped. I mentioned it to him when we discussed my results, but he didn't think they were significant. I just can't have that low of an energy, I work all the time and I haven't been to the gym since I started on this because the act of climbing the stairs to get in my car and go was too much work.
Has anyone else experienced this while on Crestor? I read all the way through the information booklet that came with the pills and nowhere does it mention that. I looked online too and it mentioned rhabdomyopathy, which has to do with muscle tissue breaking down, and that's kind of how it feels, like my muscles have no tone, no strength. I've actually tripped and fallen in my house twice in the last two days and I think it was because I lacked the energy to lift my foot over a small obstacle. I'm discontinuing taking them til after the holidays until I can see my doctor again at a convenient time, I can't be dragging around over Christmas like a zombie.

Last edited by trinity; 12-22-2009 at 10:33 PM..
Old 12-23-2009
Long-Time Member (500+ posts)

Yeah, I had something similar. I was on Crestor and what I found was memory loss to the point of being dangerous. I would not remember words. I'd be talking to someone and completely forget the words. I'd be looking at the object I was talking about but could not remember the word for it. Scary. I was tired and slept a lot. The cardiologist suggested I take Q10 with the Crestor but I decided to stop taking it altogether and work on losing weight.
Old 12-23-2009

Well, that's kind of my thought, what's the point of taking a cholesterol med if it is going to make me gain weight from both skipping the gym (i was only going like twice a week anyway, but twice is better than zero) and from uncontrollable mindless snacking.
Old 12-23-2009

Definitely the cholesterol meds, I went out today to run two errands and it DID not feel like a massive production effort to get up the stairs, out of the car etc. I haven't taken any since Sunday night. For pete's sake, I only took them for 5 days and its taken me 3 to get over it. Although I did not notice any mental effects, I did just have a senior moment... couldn't find my cell phone anywhere so I picked up the house phone and called it...and my pocket rang.

Last edited by trinity; 12-23-2009 at 11:50 AM..
Old 12-23-2009

Haha I've done that. Yup, senior moment. I won't be taking either Crestor nor will I take Lipitor the other cholestrol drug.

My ex took that years ago and after 2 months on it he had a series of mini strokes and was hospitalized, then his doctor took him off it and he has had no further problems since. The doctor said it wasn't caused by Lipitor but what else would it be. No problems either before Lipitor and no problems after he stopped taking it. I think there was a direct link.
Old 12-23-2009
Member (< 100 posts)

Crestor

Check with your pharmacist at least , b4 you stop taking any meds.
Old 12-23-2009

Too late, stopped 3 days ago and today I already feel fine. I'm working all over Christmas including Christmas day, I don't have time to be exhausted from a walk to the bathroom. Something that makes me not shower for 5 days because drying off is too much work can't be a good thing.
Old 12-24-2009
Member (100 to 500 posts)

Smile Topic: Crestor cholesterol meds

Try using deodorized Garlic capsules for natural cholesterol reduction...it worked great for my hubby!
Old 12-24-2009

I tried fish oil and niacin for a year, faithfully, also flax seed. My cholesterol went UP.
Old 12-25-2009

I've heard a lot of people having problems with Crestor...My husband and I are both on Lipitor and have had no problems whatsoever..maybe suggest a change to your doctor?
Old 12-25-2009

Maybe oatmeal? If nothing else it is chock full of good nutrients.
careful of those cholestrol reducing drugs. Bad side effects Totally up to you
Old 12-25-2009

Thanks but I have tried dietary and homeopathic methods including visualization of cholesterol dissolving and it keeps going up and up with every test, Crestor was the only thing that brought it down, this has been a 10-year process.