Is H1N1 In Your Child's School? :: Saint John, NB - Health & Wellness

Saint John, New Brunswick  Shopping, Classifieds, Jobs, Real Estate & Rentals, Discussion, Deals, Flyers, + more!

Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online!
Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online! See all recent posts Post a new ad / message Enhanced Features  Helpdesk
Business Advertising Sign-Up (Free!) Search
iSaintJohn Home Forums Home Contact Us Site Rules Terms of Use Privacy Statement

Special iSJ Features: 
Shopping Mall
Links to dozens of sites
Online Flyers
Links to flyers for Sobeys, Superstore, Sears, drugstores, & many more retailers.
iSJ Paid Advertising
It's easy, effective, & affordable. Reach thousands of people for as little as $5.55 per week!
Search the web:

Featured Advertiser:

Naturally for Life - the eco store (NOW OPEN)! We offer an excellent selection of eco-friendly and fair-trade products, knowledge, and superior customer service!

Advertise Here

Go Back   Saint John Classifieds & Forums > Other Discussion > Health & Wellness

Old 11-06-2009
Member (< 100 posts)

Default Topic: Is H1N1 In Your Child's School?

Havelock has had 44% of their students out this week, Forest Hills has at least one confirmed case (voicemail sent from school of a friend of mine) Loch Lomond has confirmed cases, I think the list can go on..I heard though that they won't close down the schools as long as there are enough teachers, bus drivers, etc available but really I think that until this is cleared up why not take a couple weeks off?? Chances are that all our children have been exposed to it by now, and I know parents that are keeping their kids home just to avoid them getting sick, so I don't know how many of the percentages are actually of sick kids
Old 11-06-2009
Member (100 to 500 posts)

Send a message via MSN to andrea Send a message via Yahoo to andrea

simmonds has two....and these are just kids that i know...my kids are pulled out till monday...
Old 11-06-2009
Long-Time Member (500+ posts)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpkin View Post
Good idea Jillybean!!

Bayview has atleast one case.

The kids came home today and told me there is one confirmed case, but they said the teachers couldn't tell them anymore more than that. So I don't know what grade, sorry.
The note to confirm finally came home yesterday. Days after the others kids got theirs. So it's has been confirmed by note. Just not sure how many. Attendance rates are way down though, alot are out absent. H1N1 or just a cold or reg flu, I dunno.
Old 11-06-2009

Quote:
The note to confirm finally came home yesterday. Days after the others kids got theirs. So it's has been confirmed by note. Just not sure how many. Attendance rates are way down though, alot are out absent. H1N1 or just a cold or reg flu, I dunno.
If this helps you any
"The swine flu is virtually the only strain of flu in the province right now, Cleary said." from http://www.cbc.ca/canada/new-brunswi...u-vaccine.html
And typically I don't think a common cold has a fever... if this helps you any. It can be quite confusing :-/ I know, my kids are sick with fever and a cough.
Old 11-07-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter05 View Post
MCS In Kingston has one confirmed as well
My nephew goes there and is being treated for for H1N1. They aren't testing for it anymore, but he has been on the H1N1 medication since Thursday and is feeling much better. He is in kindergarten at MCS.
Old 11-07-2009

Stepping Stones also has 2 confirmed cases.

According to our family doctor the big thing to watch for is a high fever and the child is very lethargic. All they want to do is sleep, no appetite. Our doctor said if the child shows those signs to get medical attention. If there are no apparent breathing issues, go to the family doctor, as they can assess the child and prescribe the "Tamiflu" I think thats what its called, its the medication to treat H1N1.
Old 11-07-2009
Basic-Level Member

Unhappy Topic: Is H1N1 In Your Child's School?

My little boy whose 19 months has it. His older sister who actually goes to school doesnt have it though. Im sure shell have it within the next week though, so Champlain Heights will have a case in the very near future (Im sure theyve already had a couple though).
Speaking with my family doctor about h1n1 he says that out of 1000 people tested in NB last month, ONLY 2 of those people did NOT have h1n1. So basically, if you have the flue, you have h1n1. There wont be any more testing because really whats the point.. everyone has it.
Another symptom with h1n1 is an ear ache.
Old 11-07-2009

my daughter goes to beaconsfeild school..grade 7, and she is just getting over the h1n1. My son is in grade 3 havelock, and wasn't allowed to go this week cause of his sister...he is a germ carrier. We also have a 2 year old at home that has it.
Old 11-07-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthew_scott View Post
If this helps you any
"The swine flu is virtually the only strain of flu in the province right now, Cleary said." from http://www.cbc.ca/canada/new-brunswi...u-vaccine.html
And typically I don't think a common cold has a fever... if this helps you any. It can be quite confusing :-/ I know, my kids are sick with fever and a cough.
Cleary is full of you know what!!!! I know a few people who have already gotten the flu and it wasn'y H1N1!!

What are they trying to do now, make everyone think they just have the flu so they won't be looked after properly and more people will die. I am so sick of their garbage reports!! GARBAGE!!!
Old 11-07-2009

How are you certain though that it wasn't H1N1? Just seeing a doctor is not always enough to be sure.
Old 11-07-2009

My girls gave their illness to their father, who today is VERY sick. Fever, coughing, muscle aches, pounding headache. I'm not doubting at all now that they had it and now he has it. My oldest goes to QES, so it's very possibly in that school.
Old 11-08-2009

Quote:
Cleary is full of you know what!!!! I know a few people who have already gotten the flu and it wasn'y H1N1!!

What are they trying to do now, make everyone think they just have the flu so they won't be looked after properly and more people will die. I am so sick of their garbage reports!! GARBAGE!!!
This is a quote from Dr. Eilish Cleary that appeared in yesterday's paper.
" Over the last hundred years we have survived three pandemics. Even the pandemic of 1918-1919 almost everyone lived through. "

Now a quick google search will tell that that pandemic was devestating. In the US it killed aprox. 675,000 people. In Canada it killed aprox 50,000 people. World wide it killed between 3-6% of the world population. (aprox 20,000,000.)
Is this Cleary person for real?
Old 11-08-2009

not sure if this is true but i just seen a news report that people gave thier pets the h1n1 flu, a ferret and a cat , anyone hear about this??

here is a link i found.

http://www.wboc.com/Global/story.asp...=menu222_8_2_1
Old 11-08-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassy-shortie View Post
not sure if this is true but i just seen a news report that people gave thier pets the h1n1 flu, a ferret and a cat , anyone hear about this??

here is a link i found.

http://www.wboc.com/Global/story.asp...=menu222_8_2_1

Here's another news article on it. http://www.cbc.ca/health/story/2009/...t-ferrets.html
Old 11-08-2009
Member (< 100 posts)

Milledgeville North School also has at least 1 confirmed case.
Old 11-08-2009
Basic-Level Member

Yeah it was all over the news last week about the cat and the ferret testing positive for h1n1. Its true.
Old 11-09-2009

So now they are testing ferrets for H1N1?? LOL
Old 11-09-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeleemom View Post
So now they are testing ferrets for H1N1?? LOL
No doubt they'll also be a "priority group" before the general public.
Old 11-09-2009

A coworkers young children also have been confirmed with H1
Old 11-12-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristinRox View Post
Yeah it was all over the news last week about the cat and the ferret testing positive for h1n1. Its true.
Pet birds are also susceptible.