I don't know where to begin...:( Pets & Animals

i SJ: Saint John, New Brunswick  Shopping, Classifieds, Jobs, Real Estate & Rentals, Discussion, Deals, Flyers, + more!

Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online!
Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online! See all recent posts Post a new ad / message Enhanced Features  Helpdesk
Business Advertising Sign-Up (Free!) Search
iSaintJohn Home Forums Home Contact Us Site Rules Terms of Use Privacy Statement

Visit the upgraded front page of iSJ for more info!

Free Saint John Visitor's Guide

Search the web:

Go Back   Saint John Classifieds & Forums > Other Discussion > Pets & Animals

Old 09-16-2010
Member (100 to 500 posts)

Default Topic: I don't know where to begin...:(

Perhaps it is time to start putting the pressure on the government. I personally do not believe any animal should be sold in a "pet store". Start an online petition, write letters, contact the media, ect....ect. Above all, do not purchase anything from that particular store. J.M.O.
Most importantly, report the suspected abuse.
Old 09-16-2010
Long-Time Member (500+ posts)

!!! I'm so sorry to hear all of this. I had a friend who worked there in high school, and she was completely disgusted with the treatment of animals. She has said some pretty strong things... I won't repeat any because I can't be 100% sure.

I don't go into pet stores now I heard there are two in Saint John though who don't sell animals. Does anyone know which those might be? I would like to get my kitty some things for her birthday, and usually we just go to the 'big W' but nothing there really tickled my fancy this go around.
Old 09-16-2010

And about that 'other site' it's disgusting what people do! I mean, I can understand maybe having one litter of kittens 'oops, time to get kitty spayed now' but there was a person on there selling her 11th and 12 litters not that long ago!!! DISGUSTING!
Old 09-20-2010

Puppyluv is right, the best way to stop pets stores from selling dogs/ cats is to not buy them. No matter how cute they are or how sorry you feel for them your not helping them. All it does is make room for the next one to come in. Calling the SPCA is a great idea now that they're rules have changed. If you want a dog go to the league if you want a specific puppy find a breeder. A registered CKC reputable breeder, not a back yard breeder not some idiot that that stuck two dogs together and made puppies just because he can. I know there are people on here that don't agree with breeders but you have to know the difference between reputable that care about the dog and are not popping out puppies left right and center and the other BYB's. Research what you are getting also because not every breed is for every person.

I don't know why we can't do it here, they do in the States all the time. Rally a group together go stand in their parking lot and every person that attempts to walk in that door, stop them! I've gone inside and followed people out that are contemplating getting a puppy from there. Education is the first step!
Old 09-20-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by dally View Post

I don't know why we can't do it here, they do in the States all the time. Rally a group together go stand in their parking lot and every person that attempts to walk in that door, stop them! I've gone inside and followed people out that are contemplating getting a puppy from there. Education is the first step!
I wish there was someone like you around a few years ago!! I purchased a kitten from a pet store thinking it was the 'right' thing to do. I was under the naive impression that they were kind of like a shelter. Terrible I know. (good thing I've never claimed to be the brightest LOL!)

Isaintjohn has opened my eyes to a lot of animal cruelty and injustice that occurs in this city, and I'm grateful for it
Old 09-20-2010

If I thought that gathering a group of people to rally in front of this particular "place" would help to change the conditions I would. If I thought that the animals would be given better conditions instead of things staying the same...I would. I just don't know where to start.
Old 09-21-2010

I'd go!!!
Old 09-21-2010

Me too....and we all know that I am a tad opinionated!!
Old 09-22-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by T4 View Post
If I thought that gathering a group of people to rally in front of this particular "place" would help to change the conditions I would. If I thought that the animals would be given better conditions instead of things staying the same...I would. I just don't know where to start.

Cleaning the place up ok, but T4 my main reason for rallying would be to change people's minds about going in there. Educate people as to why they shouldn't buy from this particular type of store. Even people that go in and buy a simple toy is still helping to bring these animals in. Getting them to lose customers and eventually having to close their doors. One less place like this means less puppies being born in puppy mills.
Old 09-24-2010

Why can't the government just ban the stores from selling any animals at all , just sell supplies only?????

It just tears my guts out when I think of these poor animals and what they ahve to go thru , and as someone else asked if after a certain time has gone by and they don't sell what happens to them?

In a particular store a few yrs ago I seen they had a paper posted that all the animals in the store were vet checked by the animal rescue league , they even had a can for donations to ARL sitting on the counter .....unbelieveable .

Last edited by kinic; 09-24-2010 at 12:48 PM.. Reason: added more comment
Old 09-25-2010

You can buy pet supplies at Global Pet Foods, they do not have any pets for sale. Pet Corral sells fish and small animals like gerbils and hampsters but they do not sell dogs or cats. Any cats they have are rescues up for adoption.
Old 09-25-2010

the Pet Corral will only take cats or/and dogs from the SPCA or ARL just as an fyi.