Itchy Dog Pets & Animals

i SJ: Saint John, New Brunswick  Shopping, Classifieds, Jobs, Real Estate & Rentals, Discussion, Deals, Flyers, + more!

Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online!
Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online! See all recent posts Post a new ad / message Enhanced Features  Helpdesk
Business Advertising Sign-Up (Free!) Search
iSaintJohn Home Forums Home Contact Us Site Rules Terms of Use Privacy Statement

Visit the upgraded front page of iSJ for more info!

Free Saint John Visitor's Guide

Search the web:

Go Back   Saint John Classifieds & Forums > Other Discussion > Pets & Animals

Old 06-24-2010
Member (< 100 posts)

Default Topic: Itchy Dog

Itchy Dog

Hi all. I wonder if anyone would have an answer to help me out. I have a little shiz shu, 5 years old. Last year she itched and itched around this time of year. Took her to the vet and he put her on predisone to help with itch. After they were gone she continued to itch all over. This year same thing, itch itch itch, Back to the vet, with 2 prescriptions. One the predisoe to help with the itch, one called novo-lexin for a white blood cell thing and yeast in her skin. Also, a needle in the rump to start the anti-itching and a vial of revolution to kill any fleas, ticks, mites or any other thing that might be on her which there wasnt. Oh yes, I feed her ORIJEN dog food which is supposed to be the best in Canada, no glutens, no GMO, no flaxseed only regional fish. Anyway the pills are gone and she is right back to where I started with the itching. Any ideas before I head back to the vet, maybe she will have to be on these anti itching pills forever, which I hope not. Before all this I tried the Benadryl which didnt work. Thanks for any advice or help.
Old 06-24-2010
Long-Time Member (500+ posts)

My Frosty goes thru itchy stages as well. I have had her on Omega 3 over the counter vitamins for the past couple of years and not only has it helped make her coat smooth and shiny, but the itching has almost ceased. Good luck!
Old 06-24-2010

Sammy, we switched form orijen..it was supposed to be a good food but there are betters. Talk to the people at The Pet Corral and they could probably tell you a good one that would help your fuzzball with the itching. Talk to Lisa @ west side..she is awesome!
Old 06-24-2010
Member (100 to 500 posts)

there could be a protein in the Orijen your dog is allergic to. Orijen is one of the better foods. I would try Natural Balance fish and sweet potato and see if that helps. Adding the oils as suggested is a great idea too. Plus bathing in a hypo allergenic shampoo and I would not have given the Revolution.
Old 06-25-2010
Member (< 100 posts)

The vet is the one who gave her the Revolution, he said if there was any fleas or mites it would kill them and the man at Pet Corral in Rothesay recommende the Orijin food. So now what to do? What kind of flea medicine should I give her? I give her the 70 per cent fish orijin , maybe I should switch to beef or chicken Any ideas on that
Old 06-25-2010
Long-Time Member (500+ posts)

Beef and chicken are high on the allergy list for dogs. I have Frosty on the natural balance sweet potato and fish, like doggygirl recommended. Its expensive but a high quality food without alot of "high allergy" things.
Old 06-26-2010
Member (100 to 500 posts)

If there were any fleas or mites but you can always see if there are and not treat 'what if'. I would back off on anything like that until you get the skin sorted out. Buy a flea comb and check for fleas that way.